RC Enchantment of the Seas

Old December 14th, 2011, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gaga6

Default RC Enchantment of the Seas

Going on this ship over New Years. Wondering if anyone has cruised this
ship and has some information on it. Thanks.

Hugs,
Helen

Old December 16th, 2011, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

wrote in message
Going on this ship over New Years. Wondering if anyone has cruised this
ship and has some information on it. Thanks.

Hugs,
Helen

I have traveled on Rhapsody of the Seas, another Vision Class ship. I
absolutely loved the ship. The balcony cabin we had was very roomy and
had the best storage we've ever had on any ship to date.

The Vision Class ships are small in comparison to most of the
mega-vessels out there. We love the size and found it more intimate and
got to know a lot more people on our 2 week voyage.

My only criticism was that there were not enough public rest rooms.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old December 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cruise Crazy

Helen. We have been on several of the RC ships but not that one. A good
source of information on any ship can be found at www.cruisecritic.com

~~Doris~~

Old December 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gaga6

Thanks all for the information. I'll report back on the ship when I return
after the New Year.

Hugs,
Helen

source of information on any ship can be found at www.cruisecritic.com

~~Doris~~

Old December 29th, 2011, 03:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie

"Gaga6" wrote in message

Going on this ship over New Years. *Wondering if anyone has cruised this
ship and has some information on it. * Thanks.

Hugs,
Helen

We traveled on this ship in January 2011. This was the review I wrote
at the time

We did a b2b on Enchantment of the Seas. This was our 2nd and 3rd RCI
cruise - we were excessively unimpressed with the first one which was
on Grandeur of the Seas in 2007. But last winter when we cruised on
Celebrity Mercury, we decided to give RCI another chance because we
really really really like cruising out of Baltimore in the winter and
there are only two choices - Carnival and RCI. We asked if there was
a laundry on either ship and the person booking said she thought there
was one on Enchantment and she was wrong about that.

Good things:

I like the decor of Enchantment better than Grandeur - I found
Grandeur depressing because of excessive beigeness and they used those
Commedia dell'arte type clown masks on Grandeur as wall art. The
crying one was right outside our stateroom. Enchantment uses
Mardi-Gras masks which are much more cheerful.

The captain was the same as in 2007 and he was funny and ran a good
ship

Service was much better in the dining room than it was on the first
cruise on GOTS. Could not have asked for better service. Service was
equally good in the cabin although the cabin steward appeared to be
doing 20 cabins by himself with no assistant and that made it so that
he didn't always get around to everyone right away. We had a new
towel animal every night (without many repeats), and we always had a
clean bathroom, clean towels when required and a full ice bucket.

I like the Cruise Director on the first trip but she went on vacation
at the end of the first cruise.

Embarkation was pretty good and was quick, and dis-embarkation was
good and efficient. We got into our rooms on embarkation about 1330,
and we could stay in our rooms until our dis-embarkation time (which
we were not allowed to do on GOTS). Pretty much everyone was off by
10:30.

Beds were comfortable and cabin was quiet and in a convenient place.
Did not hear anything from overhead or ourside the cabin.

I had a good time in the ports and met some nice and interesting
people (some nice, some interesting and some both) For instance, one
of our dinner table partners was a man who flew in WWII and was shot
down and was in a German prison camp for some time. He and his wife
had been married for 66 years.

The Solarium pool was QUITE warm - almost hot tub temperature and it
was nice to my arthritis to swim in it. I didn't try the hot tubs as
they are always too hot for me.

Because my health has deteriorated somewhat in the last two years and
I have back and knee problems plus reduced lung function from asthma,
I am not able to get around well anymore, and when I asked they let me
have a EOTS wheelchair which was nice.

At our table the first cruise were the dance instructors and we
watched some of their classes. Bob said at the end of the cruise that
he would try that, and he hasn't danced with me (or anyone else) since
1959 when we were married. They were very good.

All of the people at our table on the second cruise (table for 8 so
that is 3 couples) were diamond or diamond plus. They were much more
party animals than Bob and I were.

Bob was happy that he could watch Fox News instead of just CNN. I
don't want to watch the news at all so I just did something else when
the news was on like I do at home.

I found the internet speed using my computer was almost as fast as at
home - did not have any complaints about that aspect of computer use.

RCI has a very good program (the Cruise Compass) which allows you to
detach the page with the hours and times of all the events and fold it
up and put it in your pocket. I don't know why more ships don't do
this - it is so convenient.

The breads and desserts were excellent - very good bread all the time
and yummy desserts. They did claim that they had no cranberry juice
on
board on the first cruise. They said I should get off and buy some.
Right
On the second cruise, they said I would have to pay bar prices ($3.67
for
a small glass with a lot of ice in it).

I'm telling all the good things first because although I really
enjoyed the cruise I did find quite a few deficiencies -- When I
filled out my comment card at the end I said I might or might not
cruise with RCI again. So when I report on the deficiencies, just
keep
in mind - We had a good time

Less Good things- you can probably take a guess at what those are by
the difficulty I had finding Good Things. We both completed a review
of the cruise after each one, and someone from corporate actually
called us yesterday to see if we had anything to add. I said I did
not see how we could have anything farther to say.

The fact that they are cutting back on the number of people makes all
the ones that they have work really hard and stretches them really
thin. There are no chocolates on the pillows anymore (not that I
really needed that).

I liked the Cruise Director on the first trip but she went on
vacationat the end of the first cruise.

The Cruise Director on the second trip was married to the Activities
Director. She did most of the work it seemed to me. Going by what
the Cruise Director and Activities Directors told us on the Celebrity
Cruise, they are responsible for the Cruise Compass layout and
printing. One day near the end of the second cruise there was a
really bad screw-up in the Cruise Compass with wrong sale dates etc.
The activities were also set up so that some of the popular ones
conflicted and you couldn't go to both. If they did this on purpose
it was nasty, and if they did it by accident it was incompetent.

We had to get off between cruises and get back on again, and we had to
wait to get back on because the machine that does the photos on the
room cards was not working and the IT person had to fix it.

One of the things I did say on the review was that the cabins
themselves were the worst planned of any cruise ship I had been on.
When the beds are together as a king, it is impossible to get out of
bed and walk around the foot of it to the bathroom without crawling
over the end of the bed It is also almost impossible for the room
steward to make them up.

This is just stupidly poor planning. All they would have had to do is
to order the settees shorter and made the mirror at the desk narrower,
or some other compromise. About halfway through the cruise we
separated the beds - just like those couples on TV in the 50s. It was
this way on GOTS and it was that way on all the cabins I saw on EOTS.

Also the cabinet and storage in the bathroom was ludicrous. There was
a tiny triangular cabinet and it wasn't possible to put things like
toothbrushes into it lengthwise because it was too short. When I
stood the toothbrushes up in holders, they fell out when I opened the
cabinet. I know the floor was clean, but did not want to put a
toothbrush in my mouth after it had been on the floor. There was also
no appropriate plug for my husband's razor. He had to bring it out
and recharge it in the main cabin.

One of the cost cutting things appears to be that there is no one to
run the computer room. You have to go through the customer desk. I
had no problem logging on and picking a package of minutes.

At one point on the first cruise I was logged on to the wireless
network, but there was no internet. When I asked, I was told that
they were fixing it and it would be fixed by the next day. The next
day it still didn't work so I got off an did some stuff in the port
(Nassau). When I got back on, it still didn't work and they said the
tech person had just gotten on board and was fixing it because the
problem was bigger than they had first thought..

I did have a problem getting the minutes logged on correctly. I
bought two packages of 500 minutes (30 cents a minute) on each cruise.
I would log on and it would say you have $##.## of time left at 30
cents a minute. And then it would charge me 65 cents a minute for
each minute while counting down the minutes. This mean that I was in
effect paying 95 cents a minute. Each time I would report to the
desk, and they would take the charge off.

I asked what I should do in the future and they basically didn't have
any idea. They suggested I wasn't logging on right, so I took the
computer down and they watched me, and I was doing it right. They
said maybe I opened a second browser and I should only use one
browser. No that wasn't it. Eventually I tried logging on with
Firefox instead of IE and this worked. When I reported that to the
desk, they said that I must not do that - the internet people said
that it would not work with Firefox and must use IE.

These experiences gave me the opinion that their IT person was an
incompetent idiot.

I usually start off with IE because it seems to be what people expect.
then I usually open Firefox and do the main part of my browsing with
that. When I finally started with Firefox instead, it worked, but it
wouldn't always connect. When I told the lady at the Customer Service
Desk that Firefox worked, she was QUITE adamant that I must NOT use it
and that IT said it did NOT work. Of course I didn't pay any
attention and went on doing what worked and if FF didn't connect right
away, I just tried again until it did.

At one point, I knew that I had used all my minutes, and due to them
crediting me back for minutes that were charged double, I had some
minutes showing that I knew I was not entitled to. I asked her to
remove the minutes. She said she couldn't do that. I had to sign on
with my husband's card (I couldn't use mine as they will not sell
another package if you have minutes left) and start another account.

The other thing that I think is way sneaky and which other lines do
NOT do - if you run out of minutes in your package, they shift to the
highest rate without any notice. HAL will charge at the package rate
until you sign off. They also give extra minutes for 'power users'
who get a second package or for people who sign up the first day and
there was no suggestion that RCI had anything like that. There was a
coupon in the little booklet for 10% off computer packages. That was
the only coupon that was of any use to us.

The Diamond people at our table got about half an hour of free
minutes, so maybe the administration isn't as concerned about people
who are new to RCI.

The port maps were not quite as bad as the previous cruise, but they
still lacked quite a bit of essential detail like local museums and
stuff other than shopping
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
grandma R

"Gaga6" wrote in message

[...]

I forgot to add - the ship has been stretched and the theatre and
Lido
were not enlarged. If we wanted a seat at the shows we had to go
a good half hour in advance to get a seat. We never ate in the Lido
if we could possibly avoid it, and when we did, we tried to eat at
off hours so that it wouldn't be so crowded.