Should I bother with a TA

Old February 5th, 2007, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
mgb

Default Should I bother with a TA

This is not a slight on TA's. They do valuable work but I ask a
legitimate question to the group - why should experienced cruisers,
people like me, bother?

Long story but here's the details:

We've been using the same TA since 2001. Service has always been
excellent. Last year we took 2 cruises and booked a 3rd. The 3rd is
where I've seen a noticeable difference. We initially booked on one of
the larger cruise ships with RCI and gave the TA the deposit and went on
our way. We did all the legwork; picked out the ship, date, room,
itinerary and notified the TA that we wanted air with a deviation to go
down 2 days early. Piece of cake from a TA point of view I should think.

Well a month or so later we changed our minds. We decided on a smaller
ship, same date, an extra day, better itinerary and $1000 cheaper - it
was a steal so we took it and decided to change. Again, we did all the
legwork. We called it in to the TA but she was on vac so we left it with
her fill-in and went on our business. Well a couple of days later we
noticed that the TA booked the wrong number of people and our credit
card was actually refunded. So we called back in, got it straightened
out and they re-charged our card. At that time we asked for a full
printout of the cruise showing deposit and what was remaining with the
date due. We wanted this for our records since the paperwork we had now
was outdated due to the change. The fill in TA never sent it (even after
3 or 4 phone calls) so I decided to heck with it, we'll wait for our
regular TA (about another 6 weeks) to come back and we'd get it done.

So after the TA came back we went in to book a last minute cruise and at
the same time relay the story and ask for the printout. Well we took our
cruise but the updated printout we wanted never came. My wife did make a
couple of phone calls after we came back from our cruise but never did
the TA call back. Once she said, "Oh I'm right in the middle of booking
a flight for someone. I'll call you right back". The call never came. It
was close to Christmas and since the cruise was still a long way off I
decided to back burner the thing until after Christmas.

I decided two weeks ago to get in touch with the TA and ask what was
left for a balance and when was it due. After 2 weeks of 1 eye-to-eye
meeting, 3 emails and one phone call I finally got it. End of story you
say? Read on . . . .

When I looked at the balance it was $1000 too much. So I called back in
to see what was going on and was told by our TA that she'd look into and
get back to us the next day or at the latest today. Well as I was
talking to her, I suddenly realized that the price she quoted was the
exact amount quoted on the larger ship that we originally booked but
later changed. All she did was yank out the original paperwork without a
thought as to what she was actually sending. So I told her what she had
done and clarified the error and have yet to hear back with a true balance.

So my question is "Why bother?". I could call the cruise line directly
and get the exact same price she gets me. We're experienced cruisers and
know what we're doing and if all I'm going to get is the run-around for
the same price I could get directly from the cruise line, I don't see
the point. In this internet age I do all the work to book a cruise, all
my TA does is take my money and tell me a bunch of stuff I already know.

What do you guys think? Should an experienced cruiser book directly with
the cruise line? If the price from the TA is the same price that I can
get, what benefit do I get from having a third party? In our case
sometimes the TA books with a tour company like Air Canada Vacations so
in effect I have a 3rd and 4th party in the mix, all for the same price
I could get.
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

You can handle the booking of your own cruises via the internet or
telephone, just like many people book their own airline reservations. You
don't need a TA and as you have mentioned, you can rectify any problems with
the cruise lines, while a TA screws around and wastes your time. Go for it!

JP

Old February 5th, 2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Feb 5, 1:27 pm, mgb wrote:
This is not a slight on TA's. They do valuable work but I ask a
legitimate question to the group - why should experienced cruisers,
people like me, bother?

Really no reason to use a TA, far as I can tell. I used a bricks &
mortar TA for my first two cruises, but then realized I was doing all
of the legwork, and was more on top of my booking than they were. And,
I was able to get significantly better pricing elsewhere. I guess, in
the beginning, it's nice to have a face-to-face to walk you through
the process, but once you know what's going on, their (the TA's) role
becomes less and less important. I've booked with the various travel
portals (like Yahoo travel) where you do actually have the option to
talk to someone, and I've booked with one online TA that offered
absolutely no phone contact, but was very responsive via email. Both
worked out just fine. My last few cruises have been with a TA from
buycruises.com who works out of her home - but there's always someone
available to take a call, if your specific TA is not. So, in all these
instances, you're still technically working with a TA to make the
booking, it's just not somebody that you're actually seeing in person.

For two specialty cruises I've taken, I worked with TAs that
specialized in the actual cruiselines I was using - one TA for my
Windjammer Barefoot Cruise and one for my Glacier Bay Cruiseline
cruise (unfortunately, they're now defunct). Since these were cruises
that were different than the everyday, run-of-the-mill mass market
cruises, it was infinitely helpful to work with folks that had
extensive knowledge specifically about these particular products. But,
again, most all contact was made via email, there were a few phone
calls, but we never had an in-person meeting.

I say go for it - book it yourself.

Lee

Old February 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Craig[_2_]

"LeeNY" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 5, 1:27 pm, mgb wrote:
This is not a slight on TA's. They do valuable work but I ask a
legitimate question to the group - why should experienced cruisers,
people like me, bother?

First, I must admit that I'm the first to bypass a TA and do it all
myself...that's just the way I am. I"ve always booked my airlines and
hotels myself. I like to have a personal handle on all the details. That
said, I did use a TA for our first couple of cruises and they were willing
to match the best price I found online. On our second cruise they came in
handy...the price went down after booking, so I called the TA and suggested
that they change our booking from an inside to an outside (same difference
in price as the amount the inside had gone down in price). That way the TA
still gets the same % commission and I was able to get a nicer room. It was
nice to just call the agent and have them handle all the details of changing
the room, etc. The only reason I didn't use her for our third (upcoming)
cruise is that she is no longer a TA!
Craig

Old February 6th, 2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
cruisemates

As always, it depends on the TA. They are there to provide you with
service and a good price. If they don't do that don't use them.
However, in some instances where it is possible for a cruise agent to
rebate (as in for Carnival, Holland America, Princess or NCL) then you
are fool NOT to call a TA and ask them if they can beat the price you
are being shown for booking direct.

If you don't know what I am talking about, you need to read my article
on how to read cruise line ads. The price you see displayed online
for all cruise lines except Royal Caribbean and Celebrity can still be
rebated, just like the old days. It just has to be done by a travel
agent on a one-to-one basis (via phone call or private email).

Here is the article: http://cruisemates.com/articles/cons...latpricing.cfm
"How to Read Cruise Line Ads". We have another article in the
pipeline, too, called "Make the Phonecall" which will be online next
week. Basically, understanding all the rules the various cruise lines
have about what prices can be displayed in ads and booking engines,
and under what conditions they can be discounted is not simple, and
there are ways to use a travel agent for service and still get below
"direct to consumer" prices, and if you aren't getting that you are
using the wrong travel agent. Here is why, a travel agent cannot say
in an ad "here is my discounted price," or even "call me for a
discounted price" but if you DO call them and ask, then they can say,
"here is my discounted price."

And for that matter, for RC or CXC they can also still offer you
bonuses beyond what the cruiseline will offer you for booking
directly; just not a rebate. There are also many instances where a
travel can negotiate group prices below what you see in a self-booking
engine.

So, when it comes to "why should I bother?" that is the wrong
question. The right question is "do I have the right travel agent?"
Just because you are better than YOUR travel agent it doesn't mean you
are better than ALL travel agents. What you need is an agent who does
high volume in cruise sales at bare-bones prices, and who is willing
to compete on price if you contact them directly.

Old February 6th, 2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read

While this TA is obviously incompetent, I wonder how easy it is to cancel
and change cruises when you book directly? I always have and probably
always will book with my TA, George Leppla. I don't see any disadvantage
but I do see advantages to using a TA. And like you, I do most of the leg
work. But I follow the cruises like a hawk and if anything changes to my
advantage (price drop, etc...) I only have to email him and it's taken care
of. And he'll also make changes when and if he becomes aware of better
offers. Try doing that with a direct booking.

And to those who say they better deals not going through a TA, I'd like to
know where? Are you talking about the occasional $50 credit on Travelocity
or such? IMO, not worth it.

--
Greg

Old February 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
cruisemates

As promised, here is the article on why you SHOULD use a travel agent,
and why if your agent cannot beat direct booking prices they are
working for themselves more than for you:

Direct Booking vs. Agents: The Latest Chapter :
http://cruisemates.com/articles/cons...ectoragent.cfm

and here is part 2 ( preview for you...)

Price Shopping? Pick Up the Phone
http://cruisemates.com/articles/cons...upthephone.cfm

Old February 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mike[_1_]

cruisemates wrote:
As promised, here is the article on why you SHOULD use a travel agent,
and why if your agent cannot beat direct booking prices they are
working for themselves more than for you:

Direct Booking vs. Agents: The Latest Chapter :
http://cruisemates.com/articles/cons...ectoragent.cfm

and here is part 2 ( preview for you...)

Price Shopping? Pick Up the Phone
http://cruisemates.com/articles/cons...upthephone.cfm

Thanks very much for the articles - they are very informative.
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

On 2/5/2007 1:27 PM mgb wrote:
[...]

Cancellation / Re-Book within the same tour operator is often easier for
a TA to negotiate. They have their business history with that company
to use as a bargaining chip. That's something where the average
traveler has to throw themselves at the mercy of the given travel
company. Group travel - the extended family reunion at see is another
area where a TA can simplify things for all in the group.

I pulled this up at ASTAnet.com. If your agent doesn't measure up maybe
it would be a good idea to get a new one.

The following is *long* and does contain a certain degree of
salesmanship. Still, there is a good deal of helpful information:

*Benefits of Using a Travel Agent*

*Save Money!* -- Strong working relationships with travel suppliers
and the latest in computer reservations technology enable travel
agents to access the most up-to-date information on how to get you
the best value.

*Traveler Advocates* -- Your best interests are the priority. The
American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) has a long-standing record
of fighting for consumer rights and ASTA member travel agents are
required to adhere to a strict Code of Ethics.

*Convenience* -- The ASTA membership includes travel agents across
the country and throughout the world, most of which offer one-stop
shopping for all travel arrangements.

*Service* -- ASTA member travel agents are knowledgeable and active
in the industry. The Society provides education, training and
resource materials to its members to equip them with the tools to
offer the highest quality of service.

*Agents Will Go the Extra Mile* -- Agents work for you and will do
everything they can to meet your travel needs. Some agents literally
go that extra mile to help their clients. One ASTA-member agent even
went to Ethiopia to escort two adopted orphans to the US
http://www.astanet.com/about/awards_extramile.asp.

» How do you find a good travel agent?
http://www.travelsense.org/tips/whyuseanagent.asp#good
» What should be the determining factor in choosing a travel agency?
http://www.travelsense.org/tips/whyuseanagent.asp#factor
» What special services do travel agencies offer?
http://www.travelsense.org/tips/whyuseanagent.asp#services
» How do I know if my travel agent is consumer-conscious?
http://www.travelsense.org/tips/whyuseanagent.asp#consumer
» How do I know if my travel agent is well trained?
http://www.travelsense.org/tips/whyuseanagent.asp#trained
» Who uses travel agents?
http://www.travelsense.org/tips/whyuseanagent.asp#Who

*How do you find a good travel agent? *
Choose one like you would a doctor or lawyer. Get advice from friends
and relatives who use an agent they trust. Since travel choices are
personal decisions that reflect individual desires and lifestyles, you
will want to visit or call several agencies to find the one that best
suits your needs. Consider everything from the appearance of the office
to the agent's willingness to listen and answer questions. /The best
agents want to establish a long-term relationship with a client, not
just make one sale./ Check out a recent column by consumer travel
advocate Ed Perkins for his take on finding a good agent.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-0601140087jan15,1,6223295.story?

*What should be the determining factor in choosing a travel agency?*
Your agency should belong to the American Society of Travel Agents, Inc.
(ASTA). With over 20,000 members in 140 countries, ASTA is the largest
and most influential travel trade association in the world. Membership
includes travel agencies, airlines, hotels, railroads, cruise lines,
tour operators, car rental companies and travel schools.

Through its continuing education and training programs, ASTA prepares
its members to operate high-caliber, competitive businesses. Due to the
Society's on-going educational programs, comprehensive agent management
resources and stringent Code of Ethics, /ASTA travel agents are known as
dedicated, hard-working professionals who provide superior service to
their customers./

*What special services do travel agencies offer?*
As the industry grows more competitive, travel agencies increase the
quality and type of services they offer. Agents can arrange all types of
domestic and international travel, from hotel and resort accommodations
to air and ground transportation, including car rental needs and tour
packages. They can provide assistance with insurance protection,
passport and visa applications, inoculation procedures and other foreign
travel requirements. Many have toll-free phone numbers and offer meeting
planning and incentive travel services.

Some agents maintain automated individual profiles that include the
client's frequent flyer number, airline seating preference, smoking or
non-smoking designation and other specifications for a custom-designed
trip.

/Arrangements can also be tailored to suit business and vacation
objectives, personal interests and budget concerns/. Although most
provide a wide range of services, some agencies may specialize in areas
such as family travel, group travel, adventure travel, ecotourism, the
mature market, incentive travel or travel for the disabled.

*How do I know if my travel agent is consumer-conscious?*
Membership in ASTA is a sign of consumer awareness. The Society works on
behalf of its members to support pro-consumer issues. In addition to
lobbying for consumer protection on issues like airline bankruptcy and
travel safety, ASTA has an active Consumer Affairs Department that
monitors travelers' problems and helps to find solutions. /The Society
works closely with other travel organizations to continually upgrade
service and technology to better serve the traveling public./

*How do I know if my travel agent is well trained?*
Ask about your agent's professional background. Many have been trained
in business management, travel and tourism or geography. Others have
supplemented their agency experience with extensive education and
training courses. Some travel agents are Certified Travel Counselors
(CTC), having completed an educational program with the Institute of
Certified Travel Agents.

*Who uses travel agents?*
Travel agents are the leading distributors of travel products and
services. Travel agents sell:

87% of cruises
81% of all tours and packages
51% of all airline tickets
47% of all hotel stays
45% of all car rentals/
/Source: 2004 Travel Industry Survey/Travel Weekly

/ Agents are the only unbiased professionals who can sort through nearly
100,000 daily changes in airfares alone/.

Experience, constant industry interaction and computer reservations
systems make travel agents the only source savvy enough to engineer a
relaxing trip out of the fluctuating complexities of travel offerings.
So, save yourself time, money and frustration. /Call an ASTA Travel
Agent - Your Ticket to the World!
http://www.travelsense.org/search/agentsearch.asp/

*Who are ASTA travel agents?*
ASTA travel agents are knowledgeable professional members of the
American Society of Travel Agents [ASTA] --- who uphold a strict code of
ethics. The Society provides education, training and resource materials
to its members to equip them with the tools they need to offer you the
highest quality of service. ASTA travel agents keep up-to-date by
attending industry events that offer educational seminars and networking
opportunities.

The ASTA membership includes over 20,000 members across the United
States and around the world. Most ASTA member agencies offer one-stop
shopping for all travel arrangements. To find the ASTA member agency
near you, search the Travel Agent Travel Directory
http://www.travelsense.org/search/agentsearch.asp.

ASTA's priority is fighting for your best interests. We have a
long-standing record of fighting for consumer rights. And, should you
ever encounter a problem with an ASTA member, our Consumer Affairs
Department is here to help you. We want you to have a safe and happy
trip. Start by seeing your local ASTA member travel agency.

/The following is an open letter from Joseph A. Watters, President of
Crystal Cruises to newspaper and magazine travel editors:/

Dear Travel Editor,
"Why should I use a travel agent?" As a veteran travel executive,
that's a question I'm often asked. Today, with the overwhelming number
of sources for travel information (the Internet, cable television,
newspapers, magazines, guidebooks, etc.), it's no wonder the consumer is
confused. Yet that's precisely why the services of a professional
travel consultant are more valuable than ever.

In January, the television news magazine, /20/20/, reported the results
of a test in which travel agents beat consumers at uncovering the best
airfares. However, it is much more than the "lowest fare" that provides
the compelling argument for a good travel agent.

The best thing an agent can do is to match up a traveler with the
vacation that's right for them. The professional travel consultant
builds relationships with their clients to learn their interests and
lifestyles, as well as their dispositions.

Below is a list of some of the important services, which are either
provided free or for a nominal charge, by travel agents:

*1. Distilling the product information: *Through an on-going and
time-consuming process of familiarization, continuing education and
customer feedback, the agent becomes a travel expert.

*2. Investigating and supplying competitive information:* No single
supplier is going to advise a consumer that a better route or a
better fare is available on a competing carrier.

*3. Staying abreast of the most current and timely promotions: *Via
daily faxes, agent-only e-mail transmissions, and their
relationships with their district sales managers, agents are
obtaining the most current promotional information.

*4. Analyzing the current promotions:* The cheapest is not always
the best.

*5. Clarifying the fine print, such as cancellation penalties and
restrictions:* Again, the benefits of a professional's experience
can save a traveler money . . . and headaches.

*6. Making recommendations for travel-related options:* Travel
agents share the experience and knowledge they accumulate about a
variety of travel topics -- from where to eat, where to shop and
what to pack.

*7. Simplifying the research and subsequent transaction:* Like a
personal shopper, agents can provide one-stop shopping for travelers
who require air arrangements, rental cars, cruise accommodations and
hotel stays -- with suggestions that are in the best interest of the
client, not the supplier.

*8. Enhancing the trip with value-added benefits and amenities:*
Agents can add to the client's experience by sending a bottle of
wine, providing a special land package, a specific escort or other
customer amenities.

*9. Using their clout to obtain the best possible in seemingly
impossible situations:* Whether it's airline seats, hotel rooms or
cruise space, the travel agent has more buying power than the consumer.

*10. Getting problems resolved:* The agent serves as the consumer's
advocate in the event something inadvertently goes wrong.

The use of outside service providers for many transactions, such as tax
preparation, isn't questioned. Similarly, if one is going to spend
hundreds or thousands of dollars, as well as a good chunk of valuable
leisure time, it makes great sense to use a professional.

I hope you'll consider sharing this information in future consumer
interest columns.

Sincerely,
JOSEPH A. WATTERS
President