EGYPT BY MYSELF

Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:01 PM
NOOR

Default EGYPT BY MYSELF

Hello everybody!
I am planning a trip to EGYPT for dec. jan.; we are 4 and have 2 weeks
and don't want to do things like cruises and so on.
HAs anybody gone to Egypt by himself (no travel agency) in this last
year? Is it safe?
Maybe it's not safe to rent a car, but trains such wagon-lit
Cairo-Aswan are safe for tourists?

Thanks a lot
Luisa
Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:31 PM
riverman

"NOOR" wrote in message
om...
Hello everybody!
I am planning a trip to EGYPT for dec. jan.; we are 4 and have 2 weeks
and don't want to do things like cruises and so on.
HAs anybody gone to Egypt by himself (no travel agency) in this last
year? Is it safe?
Maybe it's not safe to rent a car, but trains such wagon-lit
Cairo-Aswan are safe for tourists?

Thanks a lot
Luisa

Egypt is fine! Don't rent a car: you can take the train up the Nile valley
to Aswan (overnighter) and then come down the river on a falucca. Its not at
all like a cruise; its a small open boat and you can sleep on deck. It will
be the trip of you life. People are kind, helpful, and there is no real
danger. Costs are cheap.

--riverman

Old September 26th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Anders

NOOR wrote:

Hello everybody!
I am planning a trip to EGYPT for dec. jan.; we are 4 and have 2 weeks
and don't want to do things like cruises and so on.
HAs anybody gone to Egypt by himself (no travel agency) in this last
year? Is it safe?
Maybe it's not safe to rent a car, but trains such wagon-lit
Cairo-Aswan are safe for tourists?

Thanks a lot
Luisa

I was there in March 2002 AND 2003, the last time during the US build-up
and then attack on Iraq.

I travelled about 2 weeks each time, on my own and no travel agent
involved.

I went by train to Aswan and back plus Alex, no problems at all.

With common sense there were no problems whatsoever, although I got very
good vibs because I was European and not form over there..........

Still I met some people from US, they seemed to get along just fine.

/Anders
--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!
Old October 5th, 2003, 10:39 AM
scawin

Hello,

Thousands of people travel by themself in Egypt, whigh is one of the
favourite countries for backpacking.
I personnaly have been in Egypt 5 times in 2 years, always alone and
of course by myself.
Egypt is a really safe country for foreign visitors, certainly safer
than every country in Europe ; just be ready to bargain everything and
don't believe the people who just want to make money with you.
Rent a car is safe, but not a good deal, because public transportation
very good and easy, and anyway you can always take a taxi for
everywhere, cheaper than a rented car.
If you can read french :
http://www.webzinemaker.com/visitegypt

Michel