How to Avoid Pickpockets

Old July 31st, 2010, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

Default How to Avoid Pickpockets

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:23:50 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 30/07/10 17:03, Ari Silverstein, C.T.A. wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:28:57 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 30/07/10 07:37, Anonymouse wrote:

An amusing fantasy but why don't you just pack some heat?

I must say one of the first things I do in Paris is buy a weapon
suitable knife (last trip it was a balisong and a coup de poing (brass
knuckles... the french do all sorts of sizes and styles))

I go anywhere I want now and I don't back down.

Do Europeans visiting the USA need to buy themselves AK47s or M15s to
feel safe?

Neither unless you know what you are doing with them.

We know what we are doing with them.

Yeah, I bet you do.

We are driving off feelings of paranoia and/or killing thieves.

Have a good life.
--
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A; C.T.A.S, FREE Cruise Travel Advisory Services
Sign up for special email deals @ www.CruiseQuick.com - Sells more
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:52:14 -0500, Anonymouse wrote:

On 7/30/2010 3:28 AM, Martin wrote:
On 30/07/10 07:37, Anonymouse wrote:

An amusing fantasy but why don't you just pack some heat?

I must say one of the first things I do in Paris is buy a weapon
suitable knife (last trip it was a balisong and a coup de poing (brass
knuckles... the french do all sorts of sizes and styles))

I go anywhere I want now and I don't back down.

Do Europeans visiting the USA need to buy themselves AK47s or M15s to
feel safe?

Hi,

there are bigger legal problems in the US with carrying a handgun... you
WILL go to jail for example... you will NOT make bail.

Put down the crack pipe.

US cops are very different than most European cops.

1+1=2 are we bonding yet?

but if you are moderately skilled with a knife get one! You can get away
with a lock blade knife in your pocket.

I have a somewhat checkered past and am proficient with a knife, brass
knuckles, long and short arms.

So you're a arm amputated gorilla?

in one neighborhood I lived in I routinely carried a Street Sweeper
shotgun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armsel_Striker since it wasn't
concealed I was legal in that state.

Fun at parties too.

it all depends on where you are... if the people in the area look like
you you're probably OK... if they don't you're probably NOT OK.

Good reason not to visit Xrazdiak, yes?

if you can bring in a decent sized automatic knife the shock value alone
will deter most muggers that aren't armed with a gun.

And those that are will shoot you dead.

btw... I happen to live in the most dangerous city in the US.

ttyl

That's in Oregon, right?

You haven't a clue what you are blithering about.
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse[_5_]

Do Europeans visiting the USA need to buy themselves AK47s or M15s to
feel safe?

Neither unless you know what you are doing with them.

We know what we are doing with them.

Yeah, I bet you do.

Hi,

actually he just might... someone named "Ari Silverstein" just might
have done some time in the IDF.

I live in what is often called "the most dangerous city in the US" and
what foreign tourism we get it generally focused on 2 "historic" areas
that are not in the best parts of town.

Tourists that stay close to the attractions are generally safe, those
that stray or get lost can have problems. I won't use the ATM closest to
the largest one (and the ATM closest to my house) at night.

Armed robbery is common. "aggressive panhandling" (just short of
strong-arm robbery) is VERY common and upsets a LOT of tourists.

Occasionally the robber is nervous and shoots somebody with his illegal
gun... but even if your english isn't good somebody not in uniform
holding a gun on you generally means "give me your money" in any language.

I generally say if the people around you look like you you're probably OK.

but if you're the type that doesn't back down stop by a gun shop and
pickup a nice lockblade knife, become familiar with it, and drop it in
your pocket... I've found that robbers prefer unarmed victims.

Old August 1st, 2010, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse[_5_]

Good reason not to visit Xrazdiak, yes?

especially since it seems to not exist.

if you can bring in a decent sized automatic knife the shock value alone
will deter most muggers that aren't armed with a gun.

most muggings are of the strong arm variety, some with knives, some with
guns... if you've got a gun on you give them the money.

And those that are will shoot you dead.

actually not usually... the most common criminal handguns are cheaply
made (unreliable) and very small caliber (.22/.25/.32)

heavier weapons are usually reserved for home invasions.

btw... I happen to live in the most dangerous city in the US.

ttyl

That's in Oregon, right?

year to year it's a tossup between Detroit, Wash. DC, and Memphis.

Old August 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

Thanks for the laugh jfeng!