Carnival

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:28 PM
DaFlaBear

Default Carnival

Jean,
Actually I LOVE Miami, and go there at least three weekends a year for
either concerts or auto races.
Great food and hospitality.
But my observation still is, that the Port of Miami is on the low end of
the Port food chain.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:32 PM
Ed

So glad to see all this. My family took the Carnival Victory on a 5 day
to Canada out of NYC this past July and it was wonderfull!! Never
understood the Carnival bashing. Service was great as was the food.
Definitely above the "restaurant chain" type of food people on this
groop had talked about. I'll be on carnival again next year... possibly
the Legend or the Miracle.

Ed

In article ,
"Tobie Gerbrandt" wrote:

Hi Cynthia,

I'd like to say "welcome to the group", and suggest that you ignore those
that insult the intelligence of the general cruising public. Learn how to
use your kill file for those you'd rather not read and you'll do fine.
Abusive language and personal insults are not appreciated by most of us, and
is a clear indication that the persons acting in this way are, for the most
part, "TROLLS" who just want to make someone feel bad.

The "Carnival Bashers" are a small minority here. Most of us thoroughly
enjoy all the cruises we go on regardless of which line we sail.

In my personal experience in 26 cruises with all the popular lines, and some
obscure ones, I'd rate Carnival about even with RCCL, and slightly below
Princess and NCL. I'd rate Holland America and Celebrity another notch
higher, and have never sailed on the "Luxury" lines due to the fact that I
don't have "money to burn". I don't believe the experience on these so
called upscale cruises are worth the exhorbitant price tags.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"Cynthia Taylor" wrote in message
I just took my first cruise, a 4 day cruise on the Carnival
Fascination. It hooked me on cruising. I don't know, maybe I'm not
qualified to post here having only taken one cruise, but I thought the
cruise was fantastic.

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to figure out why there is
so much Carnival venom in this group, and I just can't. Maybe my
standards are lower. But I went on the cruise to see if I would like
cruising. I went to relax, and have fun. I'm a 30 year old software
architect with 2 small children, and this was our first (my husband
and I) trip away from the children. I don't consider myself to be
trailer trash, even though we did sail out of Miami.

I didn't take part in a lot of the on-board activities, because my
primary goal was to kick back and relax. But whenever we wanted to do
something, there was something fun going on.

The room was much better than I expected (size wise and shape-wise),
and while my room stewerd was probably not the best available, he
certainly did his job and we had no complaints.

The ship was in good shape, the sit-down dinners were fantastic, the
buffets were what you would expect from a buffet, maybe a step up.

The cruise director was hilarious, the stops at port were well
organized, and anytime I had a problem, the information desk was
friendly and immediately helpful.

The pools weren't crowded, I never had a problem finding a deck chair.

My husband (who is VERY hard to please at times) can't wait to go on
our next cruise based on the one that we had (a 7 day cruise that
includes Belize), so I was stunned when I came to this newsgroup and
read all the negative Carnival comments. All I can think is that if
the 7 day cruises are that much better than the 4 day cruises, then
our next cruise is going to blow us away, because we loved the 4 day
one.

Cyn

---

Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:36 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Cynthia Taylor wrote:

I just took my first cruise, a 4 day cruise on the Carnival
Fascination. It hooked me on cruising. I don't know, maybe I'm not
qualified to post here having only taken one cruise, but I thought the
cruise was fantastic.

Cynthia,

There are no qualifications for posting here, everyone is welcome. The
only exception is the trolls and I am sure you will figure out who they
are and ignore them of killfile them.

We sailed on the Fascination a number of years ago and enjoyed the ship
very much. I think it was a good choice for you to try cruising and am
glad you enjoyed yourself. Once you take a 7 day cruise, you will not
want to take a shorter cruise again.

sue

Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:18 PM
Christy Bennington

Cynthia,

If I can post you can post....I've only been on two!

When I started the thread I was specifically looking for subjective
opinions. I was pretty disappointed in our Carnival cruise but saw several
good reviews here from all types: veterans to newbies. I know that we will
try Carnival again because of what so many others have shared. Hopefully we
were just in the wrong place at the wrong time!!!

--
Christy
Phil 4:13

Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:23 PM
TBird

The problem is that ships are very poorly managed. There is rampant
nepotism and cronyism. I have been on ships where the guest relations
manager is the girlfriend (or boyfriend) of the captain or hotel manager.

Howard

And THIS is exactly what scared my poor young clients away from telling on
their cabin steward. They were afraid they tell one of his friends and things
would get worse.

They were young, inexperienced, and timid.

No excuse to treat them the way they were treated either.

TBird ---- who couldn't offer up any compensation and felt frustrated and
helpless
~~~~~~~
One of the Four Horsewomen of the ATH Gutter
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:39 PM
villa deauville

Cynthia
welcome to the group. I am so glad you enjoyed your first cruise. There
are some folks here who have never cruised Carnival but who have heard
from a friend's friend's friend how awful Carnival is. Then there is
another group who took one Carnival cruise and had a bad experience
which happens, believe me, on any cruise line you travel.

SUNNY.......hopes you cruise and enjoy many more cruises,

S'nd I

Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:09 PM
Melanie's Phony Email Address for NGs

Cynthia Taylor wrote in message . ..
I just took my first cruise, a 4 day cruise on the Carnival
Fascination. It hooked me on cruising. I don't know, maybe I'm not
qualified to post here having only taken one cruise, but I thought the
cruise was fantastic.

This is good news to me Cynthia, as I am booked on this ship and
cruise for Jan. Technically it's my second cruise (first on the Nile)
but it will be my first cruise on a big ship.

From my point of me, all hotels and rooms are the same. Nothing ever
beats my nice comfy sheets and bed, my soft towels in the bathroom or
our soft Vancouver water which is heavenly to bathe in. Or a fridge
and kitchen stocked with what I want. So no matter where I go, the
beds, towels and water are never up to my standards and that is all
important to me, but I have never stayed anywhere that has that "at
home" feeling. So I do not spend $200 more a night to stay in "nicer"
place because those things will still be the same. A hotel room is a
hotel room everywhere.

I hope the food is good on the ship, as I am vegetarian, and if not,
it will be a no-food diet. LOL It certainly won't be the first or last
time this vegetarian has gone hungry but from what I've heard, the
food is edible. Okay, it can not be as bad as food in England!
stomach clenches in fear

See you all on the Fascination second week of Jan!

~Melanie