Passport debate "what if"

Old July 29th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Charles

Default Passport debate "what if"

In article . net,
Brian K wrote:

Did I read this correctly? You e-mailed a copy of your passport to
someone? If you had any idea how many people can access your "private"
e-mail, you would think twice.

There are several ways to send e-mail that are secure. I use a web
based https interface whenver I am away from home. Then your e-mail is
not being sent in the clear.

--
Charles
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Charles

In article . net,
Brian K wrote:

I agree with much of what you say except keeping a scanned image of your
passport online. If you can use it to simplify getting a replacement,
what's to stop an identity thief from doing the same?

There are secure methods to keeping documents online. I keep a backup
of my documents on a remote server and they are secure.

--
Charles

Old July 29th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Juliana L Holm

Don't keep it online in a web area, but rather a place where you can telnet or
ftp from. Protect it with a strong password.

This is what I do.

Julie

Brian K wrote:
Mike,

I agree with much of what you say except keeping a scanned image of your
passport online. If you can use it to simplify getting a replacement,
what's to stop an identity thief from doing the same?

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

On 07/28/2004 9:14 PM Mike Cordelli while holding "tha lizard", exclaimed:

He did have a passport with him, but it was in the safe on the ship, which
is what most of us do with it.

Passports, by the way, should only be considered good for nine and a half
years. Many countries won't accept it if it has less then six months left
on it, so at 9.5 years it becomes useless in most of the world.

Sixty Four Million passports were issued in the last ten years, there are
way more americans carrying them then most people are led to believe.

Anyhows, it's a good idea to have a copy of the main information page of
your passport with you if you don't take your passport off the ship (or they
keep them) and it's a good idea to leave one if you do take it and lose it.
We keep another copy (scanned image) online just in case. Neither of course
would be suitable for identification, but it can help in getting a new one.

In this case, it may be easier to have the ship overnight it to you from the
next port then to get a new one.

"OcnGypZ" wrote in message

Subject: Passport debate "what if"

There was a story, I think on the Carnival forum on cruise critic..

covering

just this type of scenario. Someone's "what if"...became a living PITA.

A passport doesn't cost much money.. and it's good for 10 years. Why more
Americans don't have one is beyond comprehension. It is the ultimate US
citizenship document.

Babette

Babette

--
Julie
**********

Old July 29th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Stevecruise26NOT

I have a color copy of the whole front page of my U.S. Passport. When I made
the color copy, I reduced it down to a credit card size, folded over to show
"front & back", which I then laminated. I carry this off ship with me.

I do not carry my Passport off the ship, as I will many times be engaged in
water sports and would not be happy if it were damaged or stolen. (Outside the
Caribbean I carry my Passport off ship).

There are rules about making a color copy. However, I think it is permissible
if it is reduced or enlarged a certain percentage. I made my copy at a
self-service color machine at Kinkos. These machine tend to be unattended by
store staff. They have posted the Passport copy rules right on the
machine...which I really did not read :-/

Steve in FLL----on passport #5

Old July 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Mike Cordelli

There are a million ways to secure documents online. Even just mailing
yourself an image of it and keeping it in a hotmail, yahoo account, etc is
probably enough security.

We trust our credit card information bank account information, and a ton of
other stuff to online storage (even if we don't know it's being stored
online), so a copy of my passport isn't something I'm concerned anybody
would find, let alone want. I'm more concerned when I have to turn it over
to a hotel or something.

"Brian K" wrote in message
ink.net...
Mike,

Old July 29th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Mike Cordelli

It's not always your choice. Depending on where you are, some cruise lines
will hold your passports. Some governments advise against carrying your
passport with you if you are on a cruise, because of the high rate of people
stealing them.

Common sense prevails here, if Country A tells me not to carry my passport
if I'm on a cruise, then it stays in the ship.

I believe the risk of having it taken from me on shore is significantly
higher then me missing the ship, so it stays on the ship.

"Jim" wrote in message

One cannot stress it enough: TAKE YOUR PASSPORT WITH YOU WHEN YOU
LEAVE THE SHIP!!

Sorry for shouting but really. People, it's a foreign country, you're
a foreigner to them and a strangerin a world growing increasingly
hostile to anything perceived as suspicious. Think how folks in the
U.S. react to aliens with no identification or ability to show they
are in the country legally.

Your passport is proof you are an American citizen or legeal resident
and in some places, being a foreigner without one can get you days or
weeks in lock-up, they don't even have to notify the embassy as you
cannot prove you are entitled to that.

Mexico is pretty cool if you have good I.D. and probably most popular
tour spots for cruising,but this is a "You only have to be wrong once"
sort of situation.

Country "A" may not let you leave and country "B" probably won't let
you in without one. Some places, it's a major crominal offense to not
have a passport as a foreigner.

Finally...without a passport, you may be stuck on *our* end of the
line for a long time as the inspector may nor may not take your word
and may hold you pending further examination. *Lots* of examination.

Airlines aren't even supposed to let you board a flight to the U.S.
without proof you have a legal permit to enter, such as a passport.

Carry a certified copy of your birth certificate too and keep it and
your passport number or phtocopy of the front page with the data
someplace separate, an embassy or consulate can issue a replacement
passport almost on the spot if you have those. If you don't, it may
take several days as there's a lot of back and forth to the States and
the Passport office is both overworked and underfunded and they have
to do a lot of scrutinizing to verify your claim. Not to mention in
some countries it may take oyu hours of standing in line just to see
the right person, a *lot* of people want to get intot he U.S.

Remember, you're not going to Disneyland, you are visiting a sovereign
foreign nation, event he really friendly ones like it a lot better if
you don't act like your own laws apply there.

Jim P.