Cook Islands trip

Old August 24th, 2004, 08:53 PM

Default Cook Islands trip

Hi, I'm planning a trip to the Cook Islands for my birthday in
December. I'd love some recommendations from people that have visited
the Cook's before. Right now, I'm hoping for 8-10 days. It's such a
long flight for me, it's not even worth it if I can't have at least 8
days. I'd like to spend some time on Rarotonga and Aitutaki, do you
recommend any other islands? I don't want my valuable vacation time
eaten up by packing/unpacking and traveling, but I'd be willing to see
some of the other islands if they offer something unique. I'll be
traveling alone, so I'd like some recs on things to do at night, is it
easy to meet people? I hope to spend much time on the beach relaxing
and swimming. I'd love to try snorkeling and diving, and I'd like to
rent a scooter and explore a bit. I know Dec. is their rainy season,
but is that something I should be really worried about? From what
I've heard, it's not unusual for there to be showers, though they're
usually brief and followed by sun. I'd love to hear any comments from
people that have been there. I haven't been on a vacation in a few
years, and since this year I'm turning 30, I decided to treat myself
to something kind of exotic, and I want to make every minute count!
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Bego Mario Garde

I'd like to spend some time on Rarotonga and Aitutaki, ...

We visited Rarotonga on our honeymoon trip four years ago. Rarotonga is
small enough to finish your sightseeing in a couple of hours. We had a
great evening in a nice restaurant at the port.

As weather was a bit rough, we decided to visit Aitutaki. So we went to
a small travel agency in Rarotonga and booked a flight.

Wow, what a heavenly place on earth. A stunning lagoon with absolutely
white sand, crystal clear water, friendly hotel staff, ...

I'll be
traveling alone, so I'd like some recs on things to do at night,

On Aitutaki you'll find no discotheks, no nightclubs, no fancy bars --
but a stunning view on the lagoon, palms and wonderful sunsets. (I have
to admit, that we stayed at our hotel only. I'm not sure about other
places. But we didn't look for any other kind of amusement then just to
relax and enjoy this wonderful place.)

is it easy to meet people?

We had a great time at a snorkelling tour, where we met others, too.

I'd love to hear any comments from
people that have been there. I haven't been on a vacation in a few
years, and since this year I'm turning 30, I decided to treat myself
to something kind of exotic, and I want to make every minute count!

For a week, but at least 3 days, Aitutaki is a perfect place to go. Keep
in mind, that you still need quite a while to get there and to get
adjusted (jet lag). It wouldn't be very relaxing to sit in an aircraft
for four days to spend three days in Aitutaki.

Bego

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm
our country and our people, and neither do we."

- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old August 25th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Max Olof

We're stopping there for a week on the way home (to the UK) from NZ in a
couple of weeks time.
I'll post again afterwards

Max

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:31 PM

On 24 Aug 2004 12:53:32 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I came across this site the other day. It seems quite useful for info
etc.

http://www.ck/

This is also a place I hope to get to in the next some years.

HTH

Old August 26th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Peter S

Drew,
We have been twice to Rarotonga but haven't made it yet to Aitutaki - it's
on our must do list! We were there last year and it is our favourite holiday
destination because it is so laid back. Don't expect any high rise buildings
because by law nothing is allowed to be taller than a palm tree.

We stayed at the Rarotongan Beach Resort www.rarotongan.co.ck both times
and can highly recommend it. The snorkelling there is very good straight off
the beach at the resort or excellent just down the road (20 min by pushbike)
at a marine sanctuary.There are diving lessons available from the dive
centre literally across the road from the resort.

Night life on Rarotonga is almost nonexistent except for Friday night. The
resort where we stayed run a bus to the various night life spots.

If you want to meet people from other countries then I would recommend Pa's
Cross Island Walk. The time that we did it there were Australians (us),
Americans, English, a tour reporter from Denmark and the usual New
Zealanders. Otherwise, just talk to people at the resort, talk to the
shopkeepers, bus drivers, or anyone you come across. The locals are very
friendly and will go out of their way to help you.

The first time we were their was at the end of their wet season and yes, it
can rain! However it didn't stop us from doing anything because it was so
warm. We snorkelled in the rain, played tennis in the rain, rode pushbikes
in the rain, and all in shorts and T-shirts.

Enjoy the Cooks - we did!

Peter S

om...

Old August 26th, 2004, 10:43 PM

You will love the Cooks. Yes, definitely visit Aitutaki, even it's
only a day trip (I did and when I go back, I'd like to stay a few
days).

Nightlife? The Friday night dance show at the Banana Court is the
best.

Snorkeling is best on the south side of Raro in the Titikaveka area.

See my trip report & photos at

http://fdt.net/~mosquito

Enjoy!

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:17:26 GMT, "Peter S"
wrote:

[...]

. com...