Question about travel within Denmark

Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Carl[_2_]

Default Question about travel within Denmark

I will be traveling for the first time to Denmark on business, with a
few days extension for site seeing. My itinerary has me arriving in
Copenhagen and staying at the Copenhagen Strand. My first question is
can I bring a large suitcase and laptop bag on the train to go to my
hotel or should I hire a cab? I have 1 1/2 days to see copenhagen.
Should I rent a car or use the train and taxis?

The next portion of my ititnerary is in Jutland and I'll get to my
hotel in Silkeborg by hitching a ride with a business colleague for
Copenhagen to Silkeborg, where I stay at the Radisson SAS. For the
next few days I have to go from Silkeborg to Bjorringbro and back, and
from Silkeborg to Arhus and back, and then I want to visit Engelsholm
Castle. Should I rent a car of take taxis. What's the trade off?

Thanks for your help.

Carl Carlson
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Nov 3, 4:57*am, Carl wrote:
I will be traveling for the first time to Denmark on business, with a
few days extension for site seeing. My itinerary has me arriving in
Copenhagen and staying at the Copenhagen Strand. My first question is
can I bring a large suitcase and laptop bag on the train to go to my
hotel or should I hire a cab? I have 1 1/2 days to see copenhagen.
Should I rent a car or use the train and taxis?

The next portion of my ititnerary is in Jutland and I'll get to my
hotel in Silkeborg by hitching a ride with a business colleague for
Copenhagen to Silkeborg, where I stay at the Radisson SAS. For the
next few days I have to go from Silkeborg to Bjorringbro and back, and
from Silkeborg to Arhus and back, and then I want to visit Engelsholm
Castle. Should I rent a car of take taxis. What's the trade off?

Thanks for your help.

Carl Carlson

Certainly you can take your luggage on the train - but I can't, I'm
afraid, recall what access is like from the airport to the train. (If
there are lots of stairs or escalators you might find it a hassle with
a big bag.)

The city centre is small enough to be very walkable - you certainly
don't need to hire a car in Copenhagen.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Carl[_2_]

On Nov 3, 5:25*am, wrote:
On Nov 3, 4:57*am, Carl wrote:

[...]

don't need to hire a car in Copenhagen.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you. I'll use the train in copenhagen. One more question. The
next portion of my itinerary is in Jutland and I'll get to my hotel in
Silkeborg by hitching a ride with a business colleague for Copenhagen
to Silkeborg, where I stay at the Radisson SAS. For the next few days
I have to go from Silkeborg to Bjorringbro and back, and from
Silkeborg to Arhus and back, and then I want to visit Engelsholm
Castle near Vejne. Should I rent a car of take taxis. What's the trade
off?

Carl
Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
John Kulp[_2_]

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 07:10:27 -0800 (PST), Carl
wrote:

On Nov 3, 5:25*am, wrote:

[...]

A taxi would be enormously expense. A rental car just expensive.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2008-11-03, Carl wrote:
I will be traveling for the first time to Denmark on business, with a
few days extension for site seeing. My itinerary has me arriving in
Copenhagen and staying at the Copenhagen Strand. My first question is
can I bring a large suitcase and laptop bag on the train to go to my
hotel or should I hire a cab? I have 1 1/2 days to see copenhagen.
Should I rent a car or use the train and taxis?

Walk. When you get there, you'll laugh at the thought of using a rental.

The next portion of my ititnerary is in Jutland and I'll get to my
hotel in Silkeborg by hitching a ride with a business colleague for
Copenhagen to Silkeborg, where I stay at the Radisson SAS. For the
next few days I have to go from Silkeborg to Bjorringbro and back, and
from Silkeborg to Arhus and back, and then I want to visit Engelsholm
Castle. Should I rent a car of take taxis. What's the trade off?

A taxi Silkeborg - Bjerringbro will set you back 4-500 DKK one way.
Ã…rhus a similar amount. Engelsholm maybe double that. You could take
the train Silkeborg - Ã…rhus, but it's rather slow (especially if you're
heading for somewhere on the outskirts). The other trips are absurd using
public transport.

Why are you basing yourself in Silkeborg? If you're not doing any
business there, basing yourself in Ã…rhus would eliminate the need for
a rental car.
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Jesper Lauridsen" kirjoitti
.. .

A taxi Silkeborg - Bjerringbro will set you back 4-500 DKK one way.
Ã…rhus a similar amount. Engelsholm maybe double that. You could take

A four krone ride should be a bargain.

Old November 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
-hh

wrote:
Carl wrote:

My itinerary has me arriving in
Copenhagen and staying at the Copenhagen
Strand. My first question is can I bring
a large suitcase and laptop bag on the train
to go to my hotel or should I hire a cab?
I have 1 1/2 days to see copenhagen.
Should I rent a car or use the train and taxis?

Certainly you can take your luggage on the train
- but I can't, I'm afraid, recall what access is
like from the airport to the train. (If there
are lots of stairs or escalators you might find
it a hassle with a big bag.)

Was just there last month. I only had a shoulder bag & laptop case,
so I wasn't paying too much attention, but I generally agree.

The train station is in the airport terminal, although its not in
Terminal#2 (my guess is terminal #1?). Nevertheless, its a flat walk
between terminals...no problem if the 'big' suitcase has wheels.

There's a ticket service booth (live people) in the station area and
they'll provide assistance in getting you a ticket & onto the correct
line to the Central Station. The airport is in Zone 3, so you either
need a Zone 3 ticket (you can buy a round-trip), but if you expect to
be using mass transit around town, a better deal is to buy a 10-use
ticket for 2 Zones. The neat thing about these tickets is that you
can validate them multiple times for extra zones (and/or extra
people). For example, you validate a 2-zone ticket twice to use it
for the Airport-Central "3 zone" ride. Doing this, you'll scratch 4
uses off of a 10-use 2 Zone ticket, which gives you 6 uses around
town, which could be used as 3 round-trips for one person, or if
punched twice each time for two people, gives you 3 uses (or "1.5"
round trips).

To get from the airport level to the track, it is a descent down an
inclined moving sidewalk. The train cars have decent room for
suitcases, although it might be a lift up to get onboard (I can't
recall). I did see several people with larger suitcases onboard (and
bikes), so they do manage. At the Central station, there's an
escelator up, and predictably, taxis out front.

For navigating around the city, walking is pretty much the way to go,
although you will want mass transit (mostly buses) for some areas
because of distances. For the obliquatory tourist visit to the
'Little Mermaid' statue, its a healthy 45 minute walk removed from the
Central Station, so iunless you want to suck up an hour getting there/
back, its probably worth a quick taxi ride. Get it going out, because
I didn't see any taxis hanging around...and if you want him to wait
for you, make sure to say so (and be ready to pay). FYI, I saw the
mermaid statue in afternoon light, which was backlit; I'd suggest
trying to see it in the morning for better lighting for photography.

However...

I just looked up where the Copenhagen Strand hotel is in the city, and
its a long ways from the Central Train station. I understand that one
of the lines of the subway now runs out to the airport; it might be
closer for you. Also, the Strand is roughly halfway between the
Central Station and the Mermaid statue, so its "only" a mile walk from
either...figure 20 minutes. There's a TI across the street from the
Central Station, and the Rick Steves guidebook (Scandanavia) has
directions to another TI that's supposedly better, as well as the
typical city maps, suggested places to see, etc.

Hope this helps,

-hh

Old November 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, -hh wrote:

To get from the airport level to the track, it is a descent down an
inclined moving sidewalk.

I confirm

recall). I did see several people with larger suitcases onboard (and
bikes), so they do manage.

I even saw an entire half car dedicated to luggage, bikes and prams
(with kids inside !). That was on a train from Copenhagen to the airport
continuing to Sweden. In general I'd say that accessibility of danish
trains is quite good, better than other countries.

'Little Mermaid' statue, its a healthy 45 minute walk removed from the
Central Station,

When I was there on my first visit (long ago) we used ... I'm not sure
whether that is the metro or a sort of S-bahn, anyhow a train. I believe
it goes to a place called Kastellet, and then one can walk back which
can be rather pleasant. Correction, the station is Osterport, on the
back of Kastellet.

When I was there more recently we did not go up to there. We wanted
instead to see again another sight which I definitely recommend (and is
anyhow somewhere in between, past Amalienborg on the way to the
Mermaid). It is a fountain with a scene from a legend in which some
Viking goddess was ploughing the Kattegat, the strait between Denmark
and Sweden. The effect of steam from the nostril of the oxes was
beautiful. Unfortunately when we were there the fountain was under
restoration. Anyhow we walked there (and back) from the Ibis near the
station, despite the fact I was sort of sick.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mel Amine

On 5 Nov, 10:33, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, -hh wrote:
To get from the airport level to the track, it is a descent down an
inclined moving sidewalk.

I confirm

recall). *I did see several people with larger suitcases onboard (and
bikes), so they do manage.

I even saw an entire half car dedicated to luggage, bikes and prams
(with kids inside !). That was on a train from Copenhagen to the airport
continuing to Sweden. In general I'd say that accessibility of danish
trains is quite good, better than other countries.

'Little Mermaid' statue, its a healthy 45 minute walk removed from the
Central Station,

take the sight seeing bus