Canada and USA this August

Old January 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

Default Canada and USA this August

"Jochen Kriegerowski" wrote in message
"MI" schrieb

You do not want to drive from Whistler on the Pemberton and the Duffy
Lake Road to Lillooet and then onto the Trans Canada to the Columbia
Ice Fields. This is not highway standard road. It is mainly local road to
the Indian Reservations. It is very pretty though. We have driven it. You
are better off returning to Vancouver

I agree for the Birkenhead route, or the one via Gold Bridge. But Hwy 99
is no problem at all, and saves a lot of time if you only have 10 days
(that
means "eating miles" anyway)

Well, I've done the hairy route, through Seton Portage which runs along the
hydro lines and the BC Rail Line, also that Duffy lake Route. Never done the
northern route through Birkenhead. Is it as interesting as the Highliner
Route through Seton Portage?

You can then travel on the
Trans Canada through the Fraser Canyon (with a stop at Hell's Gate) on
through the Rogers Pass and on the ice fields.

...and only halfway up the Icefields Parkway, then the David Thompson
(Hwy 11) to Rocky Mountain House/Red Deer/Calgary.
Not bad either.

Whether you stay in Alberta, or do this circle tour... there are pros and
cons for both, and up to Bob to decide. If he likes driving: Go for it. If
he prefers to stay in one place for a few more days: Stay in Alberta.
I don't mind spending a whole day behind the wheel because I find driving
Canadian highways really relaxing: Beautiful scenery, no traffic to speak
of...: Pure joy!

Jochen from Germany

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"sharx35" schrieb

Well, I've done the hairy route, through Seton Portage which runs along
the hydro lines and the BC Rail Line, also that Duffy lake Route.

The Seton Portage route is the one I referred to as Birkenhead. The Duffy
Lake route ist Hwy 99 along Cayoosh Creek. The Highway is just as good
as any - like the ones from Lillooet to Lytton or to Cache Creek. The
standard two lane, paved road.

Never done the northern route through Birkenhead. Is it as interesting as
the Highliner Route through Seton Portage?

There are two stretches on the Seton Portage route that can be a bit
awkward or washed out. I never got stuck with a 2WD, but I wouldn't
drive it in spring or after a heavy rainfall without 4WD.
But then again, I know someone who did just that with a 1978
Chrysler New Yorker about 25 years ago, and the car is still in one
piece today ;-)

The northern route through Gold Bridge is more or less the same,
maybe even easier to drive, but significantly longer. As with all back-
roads it depends very much on weather and maintenance.
Very scenic in parts, especially along Carpenter Lake.

I you just want to get from A to B, stay on the Highway; for the other
routes you have to be a backroading enthusiast like me, I guess g

Jochen from Germany

Old January 28th, 2008, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

[...]

We went through the Highliner (Seton Portage to Pemberton) about 1990
(whatever year it was that the Indians blocked the Duffy Lake Road) in a
1972 Dodge Dart..from east to west, so we were next to the mountain, rather
than the edge. It took a long time to go just a few miles, however. And,
yes, we chose that route, rather than the Gold Bridge route, because of the
longer distance of the Gold Bridge route. Still would like to try it,
though.

Old January 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

wrote in message
Hi Group,

We are in the early stages of putting together an itinerary for our
trip this August. Flights and car hire are booked.
We arrive at Calgary Airport in August for 10 days. We want to see
Glacier NP in Montana. Also the Icefields Parkway and maybe Vancouver.

Thats quite a lot to fit in 10 days

My plan was to drive down to Glacier then along the "into the Sun
Highway" to Whitefish. From here we could drive to Vancouver using
Highway 3 in Canada.

This is going to absorb 3 days. 1 day to drive to Glacier, 1
to drive going to the Sun Road and another day to drive to
Vancouver. Highway 3 is scenic BUT its very twisty and
rather slow going

Is there a better more scenic route to take to get there?
What places of interest (if any) are there along the way?
We would then drive up to Whistler and then carry on back to the
Icefields.
Alternatively from Montana we could drive back up to Alberta and
spend the time exploring thus giving British Columbia a miss this time
(a good excuse to visit again).
What recommendations would anyone give for "must see in Alberta"?

Looking foward to any ideas and suggestions

With 10 days I'd recommend a circular route in Canada.

Calgary to Banff and Jasper

At least one day in Jasper visiting Spirit Lake

Jasper to Clearwater BC - visit Wells Gray Provincial Park.
It is vastly underrated. The waterfalls in the park are amazing

Clearwater - CacheCreek and Vancouver by Highway1
Hells Gate is impressive but the short hike a few miles
further on to the Alexandra Suspension Bridge is worth taking
and its free !

From Vancouver return via Kamloops and drive to
Revelstoke along Highway 1. The view from the summit
of Mt Revelstoke NP is impressive. From there the road
to Golden via the Caandian Glacier NP is magnificent

Finaly drive to Calgary via Yoho NP . This last NP is
magnificent with the really impressive Takkakaw falls

There's more than enough here to fill 10 days, I took twice
that long last year

Keith

Old January 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 1/28/08 5:55 AM, in article 59lnj.21784$vp3.17229@edtnps90, "sharx35"
wrote:

[...]

One thing we all have to remember. This is an Englishman who drives on the
left side of the road. He will not be familiar with any of the roads we are
talking about and in a tight situation could turn the wheel the wrong way.
Unless he has been here before he really wont understand our mountain
passes. When you think about some of them even on our highways they can be
pretty hairy. The Stag Leap Pass I mention on one post for example.

--
Martha T2 Canada
1500mg. Metformin, 4mg. Avandia