Celebrity Coupon Book

Old February 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Celebrity Coupon Book

Anyone familiar with these coupon books offered as a perk for traveling on
Celebrity? What do they intail?

Tks
Dr. M

Old February 20th, 2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

M wrote:
Anyone familiar with these coupon books offered as a perk for traveling on
Celebrity? What do they intail?

The shopping one they offer and charge $20 ...?? They bill it as like
an Entertainment Book ... which we find really valuable ... but in
actuality it is nothing more than gimmicks to get you into stores on
their preferred (meaning they pay Celebrity a fee) list ...

Old February 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:37:43 GMT, "M" wrote:

Anyone familiar with these coupon books offered as a perk for traveling on
Celebrity? What do they intail?

Tks
Dr. M

The coupon book bought on board is fill with free items (worthless) if
you visit a store. But if you have children or grandchildren then they
may make good gifts to take home with you.
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi:

The coupon books are usually sold during the "port talks" on the ship
and cost $20. As the previous posts have said, they are basically
worthless with a few cheap freebees. On a previous cruise last fall, a
fellow cruiser got sucked into buying one. She got a couple of things
out of it and not planning to cruise again and knowing I was, gave it to
me. It covers all caribbean ports. In our concierge cabin on the
Infinity, there was a book in the book shelf. Knowing that there was a
charge for this, I asked if others had gotten one too. The ones I asked
said they hadn't so I assumed that it was left by a previous occupant.
Since I had my "own", I didn't call the desk to ask if there would be a
charge for it. I didn't even use my own coupons as there was nothing
there worth the time to get. I left my book with the other book in the
cabin with a note to feel free to use it inside the book. Kinda reminds
me of a joke we had circulating down here when the Astro's were tanking
so bad at the beginning of the season last year. "I left two tickets to
the game under my windshield wiper and came back later to find four"

Tucker in Texas
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

number6 wrote:

The shopping one they offer and charge $20 ...?? They bill it as like
an Entertainment Book ... which we find really valuable ... but in
actuality it is nothing more than gimmicks to get you into stores on
their preferred (meaning they pay Celebrity a fee) list ...

Yes, they're a gimmick to get you into preferred stores, but they're
not worthless if you go into it with reasonable expectations. Our son
(17) got one to help him shop for his girlfriend. I thought it worked
really well for him. He got some earrings, necklaces, sunglasses, a
t-shirt, some loose stones, etc. We started calling it his cruise
booty. For $20 he had a lot of nice (if small) gifts for his girlfriend
and a few things to keep as his own souvenirs of the trip.

I would never do it, just because I don't want to hear some sales pitch
at every store before getting the goodies. But I don't have any doubt
that he got much more than his money's worth.

gpeters

Old February 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Anyone familiar with these coupon books offered as a perk for traveling on
Celebrity? What do they intail?

My wife and I were suckered into buying these on our first (and only,
so far - 2nd cruise now booked for 4/16/07!) cruise. They give a
fairly hard sales pitch about only 200 available for the entire cruise
- Get 'em now while you can! - and they really hype the shops in the
book. For us, we only made time for one of the coupons and it entailed
dealing with a lengthy sales pitch at the shop before we got the
goodie. Some others of our party who were more interested in jewelry
shopping may have had a better experience but, for me, I'd rather
wander around to more out-of-the-way stores and avoid the big glitzy
ones that end up in the coupon book. Besides, the whole process (the
shopping class on ship, the searching through the book and clipping
coupons and the looking for the stores) took way too much of our short
port times.