Poland to join the EU 2004...

Old October 14th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Sjoerd

Default Poland to join the EU 2004...

"Lynn Guinni" schreef in bericht
Will Poland (and other new EU members) be modifying their visa
requirements to harmonize with Western Europe?

They have for the most part already done so or will soon do it. Which means
that those nationalities that need visas for Schengen countries will also
need a visa for Poland.

Will the borders be open
as they are now between most EU countries?

Not immediately but after 2 to 3 years.

Sjoerd

Old October 14th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Lynn Guinni

Sjoerd wrote:

"Lynn Guinni" schreef in bericht
Will Poland (and other new EU members) be modifying their visa
requirements to harmonize with Western Europe?

They have for the most part already done so or will soon do it. Which means
that those nationalities that need visas for Schengen countries will also
need a visa for Poland.

I'm more interested in the other way around, i.e., Poland (and some
others) dropping their visa requirements for some nationalities, e.g.,
Canadians.
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:29 PM
tile

I meant to say that now we need a passport
after may 1st, we shall need only an ID..
there is a big difference
as passport is not a common thing
an ID is compulsory
"Sjoerd" ha scritto nel messaggio

"Markku Grönroos" schreef in bericht

"tile" wrote in message
well
a big difference will be for EU citizens
they will not need a passport to travel to the new member countries..

Not until they are members to Schengen.

And even thereafter everybody (including EU citizens) needs a national ID
card or a passport.

Sjoerd

Old October 14th, 2003, 09:29 PM
tile

I am sorry
but it is not true
if you buy a car in germany
either you get an export plate (zoll) or you will pay vat in germany and
again VAT in Poland.
vat refund still exist to the new countries.. or not ??
duty free exists to the new countries .. or not ??
after may 1st..
you will buy a car wherever it is more convenient for you and pay vat
wherever it si more convenient for you
in Germany VAT is 16% for instance..
In Italy 20%
If I buy a car in germany and pay VAT there..
then I will save at once 4%
it is only an example
as in Luxembourg VAT should be much cheaper..
at the moment you are not allowed to drive in EU a car with a polish plate.
afterwards it will be possible..
then they will not stop you at the border bothering you with the usual
nonsense
how many cartons of cigarettes
how many litres of spirits..
and so on..
"Markku Grönroos" ha scritto nel messaggio

"tile" wrote in message
well
a big difference will be for EU citizens
they will not need a passport to travel to the new member countries..

Not until they are members to Schengen.

on the principle that VAT must be paid only once.

So it goes already today.

Old October 14th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Sjoerd

"tile" schreef in bericht
I meant to say that now we need a passport
after may 1st, we shall need only an ID..
there is a big difference
as passport is not a common thing
an ID is compulsory

Maybe in Italy. Here in the Netherlands, an ID is not compulsory, and we
need to have a passport (or a so-called European travelcard which is a
simplified passport) to travel abroad. The UK and as far as I know the
Scandinavian countries also don't have a national ID card.

Sjoerd

Old October 14th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Sjoerd

Sjoerd wrote:

"Lynn Guinni" schreef in bericht
Will Poland (and other new EU members) be modifying their visa
requirements to harmonize with Western Europe?

They have for the most part already done so or will soon do it. Which

means
that those nationalities that need visas for Schengen countries will

also
need a visa for Poland.

I'm more interested in the other way around, i.e., Poland (and some
others) dropping their visa requirements for some nationalities, e.g.,
Canadians.

Yes, it will work the other way around too, but it may take a few more years
until Poland joins Schengen.

Sjoerd

Old October 14th, 2003, 10:49 PM
tim

"tile" wrote in message ...
I am sorry
but it is not true
if you buy a car in germany
either you get an export plate (zoll) or you will pay vat in germany and
again VAT in Poland.
vat refund still exist to the new countries.. or not ??
duty free exists to the new countries .. or not ??
after may 1st..
you will buy a car wherever it is more convenient for you and pay vat
wherever it si more convenient for you
in Germany VAT is 16% for instance..
In Italy 20%
If I buy a car in germany and pay VAT there..
then I will save at once 4%
it is only an example
as in Luxembourg VAT should be much cheaper..
at the moment you are not allowed to drive in EU a car with a polish plate.

you should tell that to my neighbour. His is parked outside his house
frequently (as my brit version is outside my house)

Old October 14th, 2003, 11:44 PM
David Horne

Sjoerd wrote:

"tile" schreef in bericht
I meant to say that now we need a passport
after may 1st, we shall need only an ID..
there is a big difference
as passport is not a common thing
an ID is compulsory

Maybe in Italy.

My partner and I were once stopped by Italian police in Rome, not far
from Termini, and asked for ID. I was angry, insisting that as a UK
citizen I didn't need any. I don't think I was technically correct- but
as our hotels insisted on keeping our passports, there was no way we
could oblige. I initially suspected the stop was due to homophobia- it
was a bit more nuanced probably, if no less distasteful. They probably
assumed my partner was an illegal immigrant, and that I'd just picked
him up. I produced my Harvard ID, he is IATA card, and we were let go.

Here in the Netherlands, an ID is not compulsory, and we
need to have a passport (or a so-called European travelcard which is a
simplified passport) to travel abroad. The UK and as far as I know the
Scandinavian countries also don't have a national ID card.

There are rumours we might get one here in the UK. I wouldn't mind at
all, providing, as seems the case just now, we weren't obliged to carry
it as a matter of course. i would certainly prefer not to have to carry
my passport _every_ time I boarded a flight- even domestic ones. Either
an ID, or a credit card sized passport, and I'll be happy!

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old October 14th, 2003, 11:57 PM
David Horne

Sjoerd wrote:

"Lynn Guinni" schreef in bericht
Will Poland (and other new EU members) be modifying their visa
requirements to harmonize with Western Europe?

They have for the most part already done so or will soon do it. Which

means
that those nationalities that need visas for Schengen countries will

also
need a visa for Poland.

I'm more interested in the other way around, i.e., Poland (and some
others) dropping their visa requirements for some nationalities, e.g.,
Canadians.

Yes, it will work the other way around too, but it may take a few more years
until Poland joins Schengen.

One data point, which might be of interest to non-EU readers is that the
new countries will not just have freedom of movement to other EU
countries, but also the right to work and settle in said countries. This
is moving, given that at the moment, it requires several hoops for, say,
someone from Poland merely to come and _study_ in the EU- this will all
basically disappear. (I take it this will apply to all EEA countries-
not just EU?)

David

Old October 15th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Arwel Parry

In message
1g2ufq5.r52xqz1hrsmvhN%this_address_is_for_spam@y ahoo.co.uk, David
Horne writes
One data point, which might be of interest to non-EU readers is that the
new countries will not just have freedom of movement to other EU
countries, but also the right to work and settle in said countries.

Eventually. There's always a transition period (I think up to 7 years)
before new entrants get full rights, and I think Germany and Austria
will be applying this transition period to the new members as they've
worries about being swamped with people from the new members. The UK, on
the other hand, will let them settle and work here from day 1.

http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/