Youth Hostels and/or cheap accommodation in Copenhagen?

Old October 18th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Johannes Catterwell

Default Youth Hostels and/or cheap accommodation in Copenhagen?

Good afternoon,

i'm planning a trip to Copenhagen next week and i'd like to know wether
anyone has any experiences with the two Youth Hostels in Copenhagen?
e.g. are there any trams or buses going there, did you enjoy your stay
there? anything to moan about?! etc. etc.

Or has anyone got any good tips for cheap acommodation there?
Hope it won't be too cold during our stay )

Thanks for advice and help

regards,
--
Johannes Catterwell, | Did you ever wonder
Darmstadt, Germany | ... why you have to click

Old October 18th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Kristian

Johannes Catterwell wrote:
Good afternoon,
i'm planning a trip to Copenhagen next week and i'd like to know wether
anyone has any experiences with the two Youth Hostels in Copenhagen?
e.g. are there any trams or buses going there, did you enjoy your stay
there? anything to moan about?! etc. etc.
Or has anyone got any good tips for cheap acommodation there?
Hope it won't be too cold during our stay )
Thanks for advice and help
regards,

---------------
The vandrehjem on Vejlands Alle` is placed about 3 km´s south of
Copenhagen city centre towards the airport. I believe its quite nice
and modern and there are plenty of parking spaces if you´re driving.
The downside is thats its placed somewhat in the middle of nowhere ,
on a big grassy common next to the Bella conference centre.
Busses: 46 from the main station, 100S from Valby station. There is
also a metro station some 10-15 mins walk from the youth hostel.
Be sure to buy a "klippekort" for transportation. The price for a 10
trip, blue "2-zone" , klippekort is 95 dkr. One "klip" will take you
the city centre,
Lots of usefull info at: http://www.aok.dk/

Enjoy your trip.
Kristian
Old October 18th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Traveler

How many of you are going?
Here are some other places to check:
http://www.citybed.dk
http://www.chickens.dk

The disadvantage of those hostels you mention is that they are not centrally
located. Staying somewhere in the center means you can walk to most of the
interesting spots in Copenhagen, which is very enjoyable.

From the reviews, though, I think the Amager hostel has better facilities
than the Bellahoj one.

If you are comfortable with the terms and there are just two of you, you
might consider placing a bid on Priceline.
See http://www.betterbidding.com for tips.

Traveler

Old October 20th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Dave Smith

Hi
I'm also going to Copenhagen in a few days time. We're staying at the
Amagar Hostel so I hope that all is well. Don't use all the sunshine up -
leave some for us!

May bump in to you ...
Dave

Old October 20th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Johannes Catterwell

Kristian schrieb:

Johannes Catterwell wrote:

[...]

I see...
found the Hostel Loeven through this Site... and asked if there's
anything avaible. The prices are very moderate and they seem to be right
in the heart of the city!
Btw. the website is great... nice reviews of bars, clubs and discos!
Hope we'll find some good places to party as we'd really like to go
out in the night a central location would definitely preferable!
Quick question:
I read that the area around the main Station isn't a "good" area to stay
(also hostel wise) any comments on that? Is there really just sex, crime
(... and rock 'n roll ) ?

Thanks for the tips!

regards,

Old October 20th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Kristian

-------------
I see...
found the Hostel Loeven through this Site... and asked if there's
anything avaible. The prices are very moderate and they seem to be right
in the heart of the city!
Btw. the website is great... nice reviews of bars, clubs and discos!
Hope we'll find some good places to party as we'd really like to go
out in the night a central location would definitely preferable!
Quick question:
I read that the area around the main Station isn't a "good" area to stay
(also hostel wise) any comments on that? Is there really just sex, crime
(... and rock 'n roll ) ?
Thanks for the tips!
regards,

--------------------
If you leave the main train station from the west side towards
Istedgade / Reventlowsgade it can feel a little creepy in the street
right outside the entrance.
Apart from that you should be ok - the whole area has changed a lot in
recent years. There are many recommendable budget hotels around there.
By the way, I mentioned that there is a bus no 46 going from the
centre to the Youth Hostel on Vejlands Alle . I doublechecked and
there is no bus 46 anymore - instead there is bus line 30 that
passes the main station.

Kristian
Old October 21st, 2003, 09:17 PM
Johannes Catterwell

Kristian schrieb:
Johannes Catterwell wrote:

[...]

I see, i see....
Well it looks like there's no other accomodation in Copenhagen which is
as cheap as they are though... they charge just 460Dkr. / ~62€ per night
for a fourbed private room! While for example this Hostel Loeven charges
almost double the price! (but therefore is very centrally located)
Do you know if it's a problem to get out to the Youth Hostel during the
night? As we'r 4 young students who'd also like to discover the
nightlife of Copenhagen
They say it's just 4km outside the centre... if it's just 4km, it
*should* be almost walking distance, right? So there should also be
buses, trams etc.
They also mentioned this bus line 30 and the metro going out there...
Well hope it'll work out, which means find a good and ofcourse cheap
accomodation
Thanks for your help again!

regards,

Old October 21st, 2003, 11:49 PM
Kristian

Johannes Catterwell wrote:
[...]

The bus 30 is running every 20 mins until midnight. And then there
is also the the nearby metro (station:Bella Centre) which runs past
the city centre at Kongens Nytorv and Nørreport. And if it becomes
very late , then there are always the taxis !
Check out this site (its in German as well) for an overview of
transportation in Copenhagen:
http://trafikinfo.hur.dk/tourist

Kristian
Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:45 AM
Traveler

One other site I've heard mentioned is http://www.euroglobe.dk
We thought of staying there and the owner seemed very pleasant. I've heard
the rooms are plain but fine, and they do have a fairly good deal for 4
people in one room.
For Amager, I think there are several transit options and the latest you can
get one of them is 1 AM - I'm trying to remember what I was told.

Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:51 PM
Johannes Catterwell

Kristian schrieb:
Johannes Catterwell wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the information!
Hope it'll work out with the Youth hostel.

Thanks again...

regards,