Quiet places to live in Florida

Old April 6th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Peter Callison

Default Quiet places to live in Florida

Hi

Any people knowledgeable about the Florida Gulf Coast, looking for
quiet village near the sea. Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

Pete
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Brian K

On 04/06/2004 5:06 PM Peter Callison wrote:

Hi

Any people knowledgeable about the Florida Gulf Coast, looking for
quiet village near the sea. Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

Pete

There's lots of quiet villages, called retirement communities, inland at
Ft. Myers. Anything right on the sea is not going to be quiet, but full
of snow birds in the winter and "spring breakers" until May.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old April 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Tone

Also there's the area aroun Port Charlotte

Old April 9th, 2004, 10:34 PM
clint

Ft Lauderdale is slow paced and still quite quaint.

Old April 11th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Peter Callison

Thanks for the replies guys

Pete
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:01 PM
pltrgyst

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 17:34:54 -0400, "clint" wrote:

Ft Lauderdale is slow paced and still quite quaint.

The area near the beach, at least, was honkey-tonk claptrap back in the
'70's. We left after one day and moved up to Boca. Has it improved?

-- Larry

Old April 11th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Brian K

On 04/11/2004 12:01 PM pltrgyst wrote:

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 17:34:54 -0400, "clint" wrote:

Ft Lauderdale is slow paced and still quite quaint.

The area near the beach, at least, was honkey-tonk claptrap back in the
'70's. We left after one day and moved up to Boca. Has it improved?

-- Larry

Some sections of Fort Lauderdale Beach rival Miami's South Beach in
cache. Take a look at http://sunny.org - areas of interest are the
beach, Las Olas and Riverwalk sections. Major beach hotels are Sheraton
Yankee Trader, Yankee Clipper, Embassy Suites. Many of the old 1950's
style "honky tonk" hotels were bought up by Gay / Lesbian Innkeepers.
These properties were given a much needed overhaul and are now listed
among some of the 5 star hotels and b&b. While several cater
exclusively to a gay client base, others are open to anyone. Gay
boutique hotels can be found along N Birch Drive, Sebastian Street,
Terramar, Vistamar, Veramar and inland at Wilton Manors and Victoria
Park. As a result of the influx of gay money, many of the other small
hotels around town have undergone restoration and revitalization of
surrounding areas. While this may not be the only reason for the
renaissance of Ft. Lauderdale, the influx of gay money has played an
important part.

Additionally, the town has passed various ordinances to discourage
spring breakers from over running the town. Among these are limits on
age for booking hotel rooms, limits on how many can stay in a hotel
room, beach camping bans...etc.

For a vacationer gay, lesbian or straight Fort Lauderdale has become a
less costly version of South Beach. For year round residents at the
beach there are a few drawbacks. Housing is mostly limited to high-rise
condos, unless you move to Fort Lauderdale By-The-Sea. There is also
the glaring lack of a convenient supermarket. You need to have a car to
drive to inland locations. When last I checked there were plans to
convert a building into a supermarket close to the beach. I don't know
if these panned-out. Still, it's a hardship for seniors living in
high-rise condos who no longer drive. They must either depend on the
kindness of friends, neighbors, and relatives who drive or call a taxi
to go grocery shopping.

--
________

Old April 13th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Can't get much quieter than the Englewood Area which encompases Gulf
Cove, South Gulf Cove, Gardens of Gulf Cove, East Englewood, Old
Englewood, North Englewood, Manasota Beach, Boca Grande and Palm
Islands, Cape Haze, Rotonda, and Grove City. Check out the area.

Venice, Port Charlotte, and North Port aren't bad either. Nothing like
the East Coast (yet).