Please Suggest my US Coast to Coast Trip.

Old April 7th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Jackie Yang

Default Please Suggest my US Coast to Coast Trip.

Dear All,

I am Jackie Yang coming from Taiwan. Now, I am planning a 30 days US
Coast to Coast trip with my wife. We are planning to travel US in May
and June.
Below are the locations which we will visit:

Los Angeles, CA - Las Vegas, NV - Laughli, NV - Flagstaff, AZ -
Albuquerque, NM - Amarillo, TX - Oklahoma City, OK - Dallas, TX -
Austin, TX - San Antonio, TX - Houston, TX - New Orleans, LA -
Biloxi, MS - Tallahassee, FL - Orlando, FL - Miami, FL - Go back
Taiwan.

Could you please give me some suggestion about my plan?

In addition, I plan to rent a car at Alamo, the total price is about
US$ 1725.
However, some states like Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida which don't
permit my International driver license licensed by Taiwan.
What if I encounter traffic police or patrol check my ID and driver
license,
Can I still use my rented car in Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida?
I am very afraid that police don't allow us to drive the car
in these states, hence we can not finish the coast to coast travel.
Please tell us what we should do if I encounter this situation?
Thank you for your suggestion.

Sincerely,
Jackie Yang
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Jackie Yang" wrote in message
om...
Dear All,

I am Jackie Yang coming from Taiwan. Now, I am planning a 30 days US
Coast to Coast trip with my wife. We are planning to travel US in May
and June.
Below are the locations which we will visit:

Los Angeles, CA - Las Vegas, NV - Laughli, NV - Flagstaff, AZ -
Albuquerque, NM - Amarillo, TX - Oklahoma City, OK - Dallas, TX -
Austin, TX - San Antonio, TX - Houston, TX - New Orleans, LA -
Biloxi, MS - Tallahassee, FL - Orlando, FL - Miami, FL - Go back
Taiwan.

Could you please give me some suggestion about my plan?

The northern crossings (I-80, I-94) and the middle crossing (I-70) are much
more interesting--and avoid Texas completely.

If you really want to go to Las Vegas, I'd head north after that. It is a
longer route, but with 30 days you have time to not go the fastest way.

Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Yellowstone & Grand Tetons
Montana
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Chicago
Indiana
Kentucky
Tennessee
Atlanta
Orlando
Miami

Do not eat any Chinese food after Las Vegas.

In addition, I plan to rent a car at Alamo, the total price is about
US$ 1725.
However, some states like Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida which don't
permit my International driver license licensed by Taiwan.
What if I encounter traffic police or patrol check my ID and driver
license,
Can I still use my rented car in Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida?
I am very afraid that police don't allow us to drive the car
in these states, hence we can not finish the coast to coast travel.
Please tell us what we should do if I encounter this situation?
Thank you for your suggestion.

Who told you that your Taiwan license is not accepted in those states? I
find that unbelievable. Florida must have a gazillion foreign nationals with
only foreign licenses visiting, and renting cars, each year.

Old April 7th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Peter L

"Jackie Yang" wrote in message
om...
Dear All,

I am Jackie Yang coming from Taiwan. Now, I am planning a 30 days US
Coast to Coast trip with my wife. We are planning to travel US in May
and June.
Below are the locations which we will visit:

Los Angeles, CA - Las Vegas, NV - Laughli, NV - Flagstaff, AZ -
Albuquerque, NM - Amarillo, TX - Oklahoma City, OK - Dallas, TX -
Austin, TX - San Antonio, TX - Houston, TX - New Orleans, LA -
Biloxi, MS - Tallahassee, FL - Orlando, FL - Miami, FL - Go back
Taiwan.

What's the purpose of your trip? The route is pretty boring, esp. thru the
Texas penhandle. I'd skip Laughlin and OK City and also Dallas. Also find
a rental agency that don't charge drop off charges. It'll significantly
lessen your cost.

Old April 7th, 2004, 05:52 PM
MTV

Jackie Yang wrote:
[...]

If Alamo accepts it so should the states.

Please tell us what we should do if I encounter this situation?
Thank you for your suggestion.

Sincerely,
Jackie Yang

I think you've chosen a good route, although I'd personally skip Amarillo
and Ok City; just go from Albuquerque through Lubbock to Dallas. Maybe even
stop at Roswell, NM and see the UFO museum. Dallas has the JFK museum,
Austin the new Bob Bullock State Museum & capitol, and music; San Antonio
the Alamo and River Walk; Houston lots of Chinese, NASA-Space Center, see
an Astros baseball game, etc.

If you spend any time in a city it can pay to take a city tour - Greyline
Bus or equivalent, usually 3-4 hrs.

Marv

Old April 7th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Brian K

On 04/07/2004 9:34 AM Jackie Yang wrote:

[...]

I'd skip Texas completely. I never heard of Laughli, NV. Unless you
have relatives you're visiting there skip that too. That leaves room
for a whole bunch of more interesting places.

Maybe, dump the car in Vagas. Hope a domestic flight to New Orleans
(pick up a car there). Skip Tallahassee Fl and take the coastal route.
North Florida beaches should be warm enough for swimming. Then with
maybe a stop over at one of Florida's Gulf beaches on to Orlando. If
you have any time left over, explore the Florida Keys.

As for not being able to drive in certain states. The auto rental
agency won't let you have the car if your license is not acceptable.
You won't have to worry about being stopped -- you won't get to go.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:25 PM

On 7 Apr 2004 06:34:58 -0700, (Jackie
Yang) wrote:

However, some states like Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida which don't
permit my International driver license licensed by Taiwan.

The problem may not be exactly as Mr Yang has been informed. For
example, Texas does honor the International Driver's Licnese. See the
Texas AG web siteA:

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/...slicense.shtml

The article on that page regarding IDL fraud says, "Consumers may
obtain a valid international drivers license only in the country that
issued their regular license. Furthermore, an international license
can only be issued by certain authorized entities within that
country."

However, the problem may be that Texas law does not recognize Taiwan
as a valid COUNTRY.

There is some grey area here. Technically speaking, as established by
USA law, the United Nations and even Taiwan itself, it is a province
of the People's Republic of China and something of an outlaw state.
Thus, it may be that Texas, Oklahoma, etc., have decided to apply the
same status as regards driver licenses issued by Taiwan and considers
them not to be authorized by the PRC.

Were I Mr. Yang, I would ask such sources as the U.S. State Department
and the authority in each state in which he intends to drive for
written statement of their policy and get it in writing in case he is
stopped by a policeman in that state.

Given that he is not familiar with the fine points of traffic laws in
each state, and given that they do vary, he will probably make some
minor violation of the kind that police commonly use to justify a
traffic stop. He may be using a handheld cellphone (illegal in a
growing number of states) or he and his passenger may not be wearing a
seat belt. He may make a turn at a time of day prohibited at that
intersection. Usually, cops will just check out such a driver and once
satisfied that nothing serious is going on, especially in the case of
a foreign visitor, will let the driver proceed without a summons.

He must assume that he will, at some point or another, come under a
police officer's inspection. The lack of valid driving documents for
that state is not a minor infraction even though the problem arises
from a technicality.

Therefore, I would get a letter signed by either the office of the
Attorney General or the Motor Vehicle Department or the Secretary of
State (whichever controls driver licenses in those states). The letter
should specify the terms under which he may drive in that state. If
his IDL is challenged, the letter from that agency should resolve the
problem on the spot.

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:04 AM

I liked that trip

Old April 10th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Icono Clast

Brian K wrote:
I never heard of Laughli, NV.

Mr. Yang should be forgiven for not catching a typo in a language
other than his own. He meant Laughlin, Nevada, across the Colorado
from Bullhead City, Arizona. Don Laughlin has created what might be,
for Southern California (i.e., not 'Vegas), what Stateline is for
Northern California (i.e., not Reno).
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Jackie Yang

Dear All,

First of all, I have to thank all friends for giving me good
suggestions.
Most of friends told me to skip Texas, but I still want to visit
Dallas and Austin. Because I could possibly have a job in Dallas or
Austin in the future, I want to get experience and life style of Texas
to help me decide to work here or not? The other reason is that we are
not familiar with U.S. well, the big city trip and interstate route
are safer and easier for foreign visitor. The others more beautiful
routes such Yellow Stone, Montana, Minnesota,…. will be reserved for
my next trip. ^_^
My first coast to coast trip should be fun enough for me and my wife.
I also know some routes are quite boring though, such as:

1. Albuquerque - Amarillo - Oklahoma - Dallas
2. Biloxi - Tallahassee - Orlando

That's why I need to get suggestions and help from here. And I've got
some good ideas. Thank you for your help again.

About the international driver's license problem, I must particularly
appreciate Mr. caribejoe for giving me professional answer. The other
kind-foreign friend also emailed me that "IF you are stopped with your
International DL, produce both your Taiwanese and International
documents, as well as your passport. That should be no problem. You
can continue your trip coast to coast." I have to thank this friend.

At first, I checked the website of Tourism Bureau Republic of China;
it showed me the Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida which don't permit
Taiwan international driver license. Just like Mr. caribejoe said "the
problem may be that Texas law does not recognize Taiwan as a valid
COUNTRY." Maybe this explained the reason why I got wrong information.
Whatever, now I have made sure that I can complete my US Coast to
Coast trip without drive license problem. I appreciate for all your
help.

Sincerely,
Jackie Yang

wrote in message ws.com...
On 7 Apr 2004 06:34:58 -0700,
(Jackie

Old April 11th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Riverman

(Jackie Yang) wrote in message . com...
[...]

wrote in message ws.com...
On 7 Apr 2004 06:34:58 -0700,
(Jackie
Yang) wrote:

However, some states like Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida which don't
permit my International driver license licensed by Taiwan.

The problem may not be exactly as Mr Yang has been informed. For
example, Texas does honor the International Driver's Licnese. See the
Texas AG web siteA:

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/...slicense.shtml

The article on that page regarding IDL fraud says, "Consumers may
obtain a valid international drivers license only in the country that
issued their regular license. Furthermore, an international license
can only be issued by certain authorized entities within that
country."

However, the problem may be that Texas law does not recognize Taiwan
as a valid COUNTRY.

Don't know why there are so many Texas haters in here!I think its a
fascinating state,so many topographical changes going West to
East.Love the hill country around Austin and San Antonio,the rugged
plains around Spur,the green hills of East Texas around New Boston
heading toward Dallas.Galveston is a pretty place along the coast with
great beaches.Don't particularly care for Houston and Dalls but the
small towns off the beaten path are special and very charming.
Doug