NYC: Oyster Bar at Grand Central?

Old April 10th, 2004, 08:10 PM
carrollviera

Default NYC: Oyster Bar at Grand Central?

Has anyone eaten at the Oyster Bar? Is it a memorable experience worth the price?

Thanks for any impressions.
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:05 PM
New Yorker

Default Oyster Bar at Grand Central?

Many people eat there, but based on my experience ordering fish there I
don't recommend it--better seafood is available in New York City with much
better service and atmosphere. On the other hand, I've been told by folks
who eat oysters that if they're your thing ordering "just oysters" at the
counter is ok. It is worth while looking in to view the tile ceiling in any
case, and that is easily done while strolling GCT without ordering anything.

P.S. Also be aware there was a four month long strike by Oyster Bar staff
over the slashing of their wages and benefits that was resolved only at the
end of March, 2004.

om...

Old April 11th, 2004, 02:47 PM
New Yorker

A recent strike may or may not leave a lasting impact on a restaurant or
other establishment. In either case, labor relations are important for those
of us who concerned about the treatment of workers, wherever we may live or
travel.

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:05:51 GMT, "New Yorker"
wrote:

P.S. Also be aware there was a four month long strike by Oyster Bar staff
over the slashing of their wages and benefits that was resolved only at

the
end of March, 2004.

what does that have to do with anything? the strike is finished and is
an unimportant issue to a tourist

-
Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not

included,

Old April 11th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Brian K

On 04/10/2004 3:10 PM carrollviera wrote:

Has anyone eaten at the Oyster Bar? Is it a memorable experience worth the price?

Thanks for any impressions.

One of the major New York City market TV News Programs recently did a
series called "Eat at Your Own Risk" where they exposed poor health
standards at everything from the corner bodega to upscale eateries like
Tavern On The Green. Over a period of time The Oyster Bar has been
cited with storage of shellfish at improper temperatures, rat feces in
food prep areas and other violations. Never mind labor issues brought
up by certain folk from time to time. Eating at the Oyster Bar is like
playing Russian Roulette with your digestive tract. I know, I ate there
before I saw "Eat at Your Own Risk". Yes, I did get sick as a dawg from
bad clams.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old April 11th, 2004, 07:26 PM

On 10 Apr 2004 12:10:54 -0700, (carrollviera) wrote:

Has anyone eaten at the Oyster Bar? Is it a memorable experience worth the price?

Thanks for any impressions.

There are at least two ways to experience the Oyster Bar. There's the
restaurant and there's the Oyster Bar itself. They are all of a piece
but different experiences. In the restaurant you sit at tables and
order from a very large menu. At the bar you order shellfish from
whatever is lisated on the wall as in season and fresh.

There are two restaurant areas separated by the Oyster Bar. One, to
your left as you enter, is open and bight. The one to the far right,
beyond the oyster bar, is dark and, at least me me, not very
applealing. Maybe after a fire they had it's been remodelede - I don't
know.

Food? Maybe slightly overrated and tad overpriced, but still it is
good stuff. The various chowders are excellent. And of course, the
main even is fish in many forms. The restored Grand Central Terminal
building is worth the time all by itself.

It's not the best seafood restaurant on the city but its one of those
institutions where most folks will want to say - "been there, done
that."

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info
Old April 11th, 2004, 08:54 PM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:47:28 GMT, "New Yorker"
wrote:

A recent strike may or may not leave a lasting impact on a restaurant or
other establishment. In either case, labor relations are important for those
of us who concerned about the treatment of workers, wherever we may live or
travel.

NYGUY is right - and beyond that there is the moral issue of
patronizing a business that does not give proper respect for the
dignity and rights of those whose labor.

Workers do not go out on strike casually. There is a complex process
before they do. When they strike, they suffer serious hardships and
risks. It is a reasonable asumption, and one that is easily confirmed
with a small amount of research, that the greivances that result in a
strike are ones that few people would put up with.

Here's a few news reports for those interested:

http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=7633

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/fe...oyst-f10.shtml

http://www.newsday.com/business/prin...business-print

Disclosu I'm a proud member of UAW Local 1981.

Old April 11th, 2004, 11:44 PM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:05:46 -0400, 127.0.0.1 wrote:

I really don't care about the workers problems, if the job they have
sucks, there nothing keeping them there.

Hrardly a surpise. Yet one more demonstration why you can't publish an
email address.

As I said, there is dignity in labor and it deserves respect. Workers
have both a legal and moral right to organize and bargain
collectively. This country would not be the great place it is without
the sacrifices of the workers who unionized generations ago.

Old April 12th, 2004, 07:35 PM
carrollviera

Thanks to everyone for the followup posts. Since rat is not one of my
favorite dishes, I guess I'll skip the Oyster Bar.

I was in New York a few weeks ago, and saw that the Oyster Bar was
being picketed by its workers, with rather big demonstrations both
outside and inside Grand Central Station. The outdoor pickets had a
huge inflatable rat as part of their demonstration.
it.