Visa Russia - some questions

Old March 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM
tom

Default Visa Russia - some questions

im planning an individual trans-siberian railway trip in
august/september. i would need information about visa and especially
registration of the visa in russia.
is it necessary to register the visa only one time or must it be
registered in every new city one arrives? i`ve searched the internet
about this and received lots of different answers, so im very
confused.

is there anybody (best if EU-citizen) who has recently travelled
(individually) through russia and who can tell me about dealing with
all this registration stuff in practice?

i`m planning not only to stay in hotels who can do the registration
but also in appartements and in private homes. what about registering
there?

would be very glad if someone with russia experience could help me.

thx in advance
t.
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Oxygene2002

Here is a list of non-smoking restaurants in Russia
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/europe.shtml#rus
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:52 PM

In article ,
(Oxygene2002) wrote:

Here is a list of non-smoking restaurants in Russia
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/europe.shtml#rus

No, here is a reference to /one/ non-smoking restaurant in Russia on a
truly pathetic list that doesn't include a /single/ such restaurant in
England, where they number in the hundreds or probablythousands.

If you're going to bore the group with these repetitive postings at least
point to a list worth using!
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Sönke Tesch

tom wrote:
: i would need information about visa and especially
: registration of the visa in russia.

: i`ve searched the internet
: about this and received lots of different answers, so im very
: confused.

Second-hand experiences might not be bad, but you should really consider
first-hand experience first. So go and ask the Russian embassy in your
country and the foreign ministry of your country.

Regards,
soenk.e

--
Germany sucks.
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Thomas Peel

tom schrieb:

im planning an individual trans-siberian railway trip in
august/september. i would need information about visa and especially
registration of the visa in russia.
is it necessary to register the visa only one time or must it be
registered in every new city one arrives? i`ve searched the internet
about this and received lots of different answers, so im very
confused.

is there anybody (best if EU-citizen) who has recently travelled
(individually) through russia and who can tell me about dealing with
all this registration stuff in practice?

This is information not up to date (my last trip was in '96) however
back then, the visa did indeed get a registration stamp everwhere I
stayed. I use the passive form, because I did not register myself, the
hotels did this. On one trip, I stayed in so many different hotels they
had to glue an extra piece of paper on the end of the visa so they could
stamp it.
Are you really contemplating doing the registration yourself? There
were some threads about this in the past, the general opinion was- don't
even think about it.

T.

Old March 24th, 2004, 06:11 PM

In article , ()
wrote:

In article ,
(Oxygene2002) wrote:

Here is a list of non-smoking restaurants in Russia
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/europe.shtml#rus

No, here is a reference to /one/ non-smoking restaurant in Russia on a
truly pathetic list that doesn't include a /single/ such restaurant in
England, where they number in the hundreds or probablythousands.

If you're going to bore the group with these repetitive postings at
least point to a list worth using!

(A bit later.)

Actually, to be scrupulously accurate in my whingeing, the site /does/
have a (rather sketchy) English list - I missed that a link to that was
clickable. Apologies.
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:49 PM
?ystein

(tom) wrote in message . com...
im planning an individual trans-siberian railway trip in
august/september. i would need information about visa and especially
registration of the visa in russia.
is it necessary to register the visa only one time or must it be
registered in every new city one arrives? i`ve searched the internet
about this and received lots of different answers, so im very
confused.

I am not sure myself and in any case you should check out this issue
at the Russian Embassy in your homecountry.

is there anybody (best if EU-citizen) who has recently travelled
(individually) through russia and who can tell me about dealing with
all this registration stuff in practice?

Let the hotel or your hostfamily do the registration for you. If they
charge you for the service, still let them do it for you. Formally you
have to book all accomandation before you apply for a visa, if
traveling on a tourist visa. Some pople state that in practice you
don't have to stick to this prebooking, but if you want to book your
accomondation as you go, you should get an business visa that gives
you the formal right to do that.

On your questions I assume you don't have much experience with
traveling in Russia. You should be aware of that it can be very
complicated to travel alone outside the big cities if you don't speak
Russian. It can even be complicated to book accomandation in rural
areas. Do you speak Russian? Do you have a travel agency to book your
accomondation?

best regards,

Jan
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:04 AM
?ystein

Thomas Peel wrote in message ...

Are you really contemplating doing the registration yourself? There
were some threads about this in the past, the general opinion was- don't
even think about it.

That is still true. If you don't speak very good Russian and go
because you are really interested in how this works (and you are
probably not, don't do it yourself.

Jan
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Bjorn Olsson

(tom) wrote in message . com...
im planning an individual trans-siberian railway trip in
august/september. i would need information about visa and especially
registration of the visa in russia.
is it necessary to register the visa only one time or must it be
registered in every new city one arrives? i`ve searched the internet
about this and received lots of different answers, so im very
confused.

This may be because there is a difference between theory and practice.
But the hotels you will stay at will know, and will offer registration
(or simply go ahead and do registration for you) if needed. Therefore,
they will borrow your passport for about half a day after your
check-in. You may want to make a photocopy of the relevant pages to
carry around in the meantime.

is there anybody (best if EU-citizen) who has recently travelled
(individually) through russia and who can tell me about dealing with
all this registration stuff in practice?

i`m planning not only to stay in hotels who can do the registration
but also in appartements and in private homes. what about registering
there?

As you already noted, the hotels do registration for their guests.
They may or may not charge a fee for this, but it's worth the fee in
any case. If staying in a private home, whoever arranged the homestay
for you should also be able to advice about (or take care of)
registration. If you are staying as someones guest, that person should
be able to help you.

Self-registration is possible in theory, but would be very problematic
in practice, unless you speak russian rather well.

Although things may seem complicated and the rules a mystery, things
tend to work out fine anyway.

Bjorn