Fire in LA

Old October 28th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Alan Pollock

Default Fire in LA

Go Fig wrote:

By next week, hopefully, the worst will be over. The damage is in the
billions of dollars and it looks like these fires were intentionally
started.

One fire - one of the many - may have been started by a lost hunter trying to
get help by starting a small campfire, hoping that rescuers would see the
smoke. While it hasn't been confirmed, it's probably true.

Moreover, it's the fire season here. Somebody with braces who coughed wrong
might have started a fire last weekend, that's how dry it's been. 17% and
lower hunidities, almost 6 months without rain, and the Santa Ana winds.

Criminal Shriminal. Nex

(I spoke to someone in France over the phone yesterday who assured me that the
entire fire situation in Socal was criminally started. So what else is new?)
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Marie Lewis

In article , gerald fraux
writes
Rumors say, this was another terror attack. Seems to be possible. One
more reason to support the USA.

Rubbish! That is a Fox News "story."
--
Marie Lewis
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Marie Lewis

In article , Gerald Fraux
writes
Unlikely. Forest fires happen all the time, every year in fact. Why a
terrorist attack this time?

As I said, it's a rumor. I never said it's true or not.

Gerald

Why quote it, then?
--
Marie Lewis
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
Alan Pollock wrote:

Go Fig wrote:

By next week, hopefully, the worst will be over. The damage is in the
billions of dollars and it looks like these fires were intentionally
started.

One fire - one of the many - may have been started by a lost hunter trying to
get help by starting a small campfire, hoping that rescuers would see the
smoke. While it hasn't been confirmed, it's probably true.

It has been confirmed and he has been arrested. He was NOT lost, he
wanted to find his hunting companion that he was separated from.

Moreover, it's the fire season here. Somebody with braces who coughed wrong
might have started a fire last weekend, that's how dry it's been. 17% and
lower hunidities, almost 6 months without rain, and the Santa Ana winds.

Criminal Shriminal. Nex

Oh really:

Excerpts From Police Report Of Suspects

On Saturday, Oct. 25, at about 9:15 a.m., a witness who was stopped in a
turnout on State Highway 18, observed a gray van, similar in description to a
2000 or 2001 Chevrolet Venture, parked along side the road on Old Waterman
Canyon Road, less than a mile north of the San Bernardino City Limits.

The witness saw one of the occupants throw something into the brush on the
east side of the road, which started a brush fire. After making a U-turn, the
suspects fled south on Old Waterman Canyon Road. The subsequent fire burned
throughout Waterman Canyon and eventually into the City of San Bernardino
where numerous structures were destroyed.

The men are described as in their early 20s and white.

As a result of the ensuing conflagration, two deaths were reported to the San
Bernardino County Coroner's Office. Both victims are suspected of having
suffered heart attacks, but autopsies will be conducted by the Coroner's
Office to determine the exact cause of death. As these deaths occurred during
the course of an arson, the suspects may face felony murder charges when
apprehended.

*****

Sheriff's Homicide Investigators are currently seeking any information
regarding the suspects responsible for this crime.

*****

Anyone who may have seen
or knows the whereabouts of the suspects or their vehicle is urged to call
the Sheriff's Major Crime Information Tip Line at (866) 346-7632.

As for the largest other large fire, the Semi fire, there are few
possible explanations other than arson at this time... especially given
its starting point was near a road. There have been no lightening
events in S. California in the last week.

All other fires are under investigation.

NEXT.

jay
Tue, Oct 28, 2003

(I spoke to someone in France over the phone yesterday who assured me that
the
entire fire situation in Socal was criminally started. So what else is new?)

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old October 28th, 2003, 06:20 PM

Gerald Fraux wrote in message ...
Unlikely. Forest fires happen all the time, every year in fact. Why a
terrorist attack this time?

As I said, it's a rumor. I never said it's true or not.

Gerald

This is true. You said that rumor said it was a terrorist act and that
was one more reason to support the US. I could come up with equally
far-fetched rumors that would be reasons to not support the US.
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Peter L

"Roland Schmidt" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm heading over from Belgium in one week for a short USA-trip.
Departing in LA and leaving to Las Vegas the next day by car. Now I
heard, because of the fire, the way to LV is closed. True or wrong? If
it's closed, what's the alternative route to Las Vegas? There is no
real information over here how big the fire is.

The fire is huge. But the weather is turning and in one week it may be
over. If the route is still closed you may have to fly from LA to Vegas.

Thanx
Gerald

Old October 28th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Peter L

"Gerald Fraux" wrote in message
It is terrible. However, the worst should be over by next week and your
trip should be OK. Be sure to drop a few dollars in the 'rescue fund'
donation buckets when you see them.

I am really sad what happens and will drop some bucks for sure.

Don't drop it in any bucket. There are lots of people (esp. in the airport)
pretending they are raising funds for the fire. Give only to the American
Red Cross, designating the gift to fire victims.

Gerald

Old October 28th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
"Peter L" wrote:

"Roland Schmidt" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm heading over from Belgium in one week for a short USA-trip.
Departing in LA and leaving to Las Vegas the next day by car. Now I
heard, because of the fire, the way to LV is closed. True or wrong? If
it's closed, what's the alternative route to Las Vegas? There is no
real information over here how big the fire is.

The fire is huge. But the weather is turning and in one week it may be
over. If the route is still closed you may have to fly from LA to Vegas.

If 15 is closed (it wont be), he can take CA 18 - CA 14... the
so-called 'Pearblossom Hwy.' About 30 min. longer, depending on Los
Angeles destination. It is more scenic too.

jay
Tue, Oct 28, 2003

Thanx
Gerald