Money Belt Recommendations?

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Brian K

On 05/02/2005 6:41 AM Ingeborg Denner wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
.. .

I strongly suggest that you forget the idea of a money belt and just get
a pouch that hang inside from a regular belt.

I sewed an inside pouch into the side my jeans when I started
traveling, large enough for tickets and traveller cheques.
I tend to forget small items (like money belts) when I pack
in the mornings, but I'm unlikely to forget my trousers.

Lately, however, I've taken to a large[*], sturdy handbag with a long
strap, or I just keep money loose in my front pockets. While I
wouldn't recommend this, I never lost anything except to my
own absent-mindedness.

I find money belts uncomfortable, especially in hot climate,
they show through in summer clothes and make you
look even more like a tourist than you already do by
being one.

inge

[*] an old schoolbag, actually. For keys, purse, books,
maps, notes, drink, camera, sunglasses, postcards,
packed lunch, and whatever else might be interesting
or needed.

Loose the strap on your handbag, If the strap doesn't break a snatch and
run purse thief is likely to drag you as he runs. Just remember this,
if a thief wants to separate you from your money, he will do it! Money
belts, handbags with straps, are just a momentary nuisance to a
professional thief. Your best bet really is a good in - room hotel safe
and a credit card which you can cancel with a phone call.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:49 AM
Carole Allen

I have used Rick's, but the best one I found was from AAA. It had a
soft almost velvety surface that wicked away moisture (important if
you are traveling in very hot weather), and more pockets, so I could
keep plane tickets and passport separate from money and credit cards.

I take off the strap and buckle thing that comes on it and stitch on
some non-roll waistband elastic sized to my waist. Then you just step
into it like underwear. It's much more comfrotable, and adjusts to
standing, sitting, bending, etc., and that little plastic loop or
metal buckle doesn't dig into you. Also, I wear it in the small of my
back. It doesn't show and you will almost forget it is there. I
carry a bit of "day" money on me in a zipped or inside pocket, and if
I need more just step into a restroom and dip into the money belt.
When I anticipate I will need my ATM card to withdraw cash or a credit
card I put it in the zipped pocket,and later when in a restroom put
the bulk of any cash received and the cards back in the money belt.

There are also pouches that you can hang around your neck inside your
shirt. I have even seen some a woman can wrap around her thigh
(like a garter) if she is wearing a dress.

I htink the last time I bought one it was about $10-15. It lasted for
4 month-long trips before it began to wear out.

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:13:25 GMT, robert stephens
wrote:

Hello!

Planning to start travelling a bit more than usual as a tourist in the
next few years (trips to NYC and Rome). Planning on getting a money belt
based on a variety of suggestions (I know some travellers don't use
them, but I plan to). I know it will not be used as a place to store the
daily needed money, but more of the 'body safe'.

With that in mind, does anyone who uses these regularly have suggestions
for specific models? Looking briefly through Google there were
recommendations for the one from Rick Steves, from AAA, and from
TravelSmith. I'm looking for the good mix of functional (keeps things
safe) and comfortable.

Thanks,

Robert

Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:43 AM
Brian K

On 05/02/2005 12:43 PM Juliana L Holm wrote:

In rec.travel.europe Brian K wrote:

Thieves are hip to money belts. A man went to Rio and upon arrival at
the airport decided to walk a little before hailing a cab. When he
didn't arrive, friends he was visiting decided to search. They found
him completely naked. He had been mugged, his luggage was stolen. They
took his money belt, they even took his underwear and shoes. If a thief
is going to rob you, they'll take the money belt too. They see it as a
challenge. They know what external money belts look like and the
under-the-clothes kind leave a tell tale outline under a man's trousers.

Do you know this man? This smacks to me of urban myth.

That said, you're not necessarily going to stop the "mugg you and steal your
luggage" kind of theif with anything. The ones you'll stop with the moneybelt
are the pickpocket while gettting on the subway kind of theif.

They're far more common.

Julie

Your best bet is to use credit cards. Leave your passport and valuables,
along with a backup credit card, behind in your room safe. Then if you
get mugged A) you can report your card stolen, and B) get through the
ordeal with your dignity and clothes intact.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

I don't know the man but I know the executive secretary who works for
him. As for pick pockets, the very best will not be detered by a money
belt.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:47 AM
Brian K

You must spend a lot of time in the ladies, in some cities you are
vulnerable to getting mugged in a restroom.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:49 AM

Thieves are hip to money belts. =A0A man went to Rio and
[thieves stripped him naked]

Sounds like an urban legend to me. And even if it really happened to
some guy, it's a very unusual incident.

It's true that if a thief is determined to rob you he'll find a way,
but in most cases a pickpocket is looking for easy targets. If you're
wearing a money belt, he'll just rob some other guy instead.

they stink after a while

I rinse mine out periodically and have never had an odor problem, but
in hot weather it can get damp with perspiration so I put my documents
inside a plastic bag first to avoid any possibility of them getting
damp.

I believe the Rick Steves site (he has a travel show on PBS) has some
articles about money belts as he's a strong advocate of wearing them.

Jim

Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Ingeborg Denner

"Brian K" wrote in message
ink.net...
On 05/02/2005 6:41 AM Ingeborg Denner wrote:

Loose the strap on your handbag, If the strap doesn't break a snatch and
run purse thief is likely to drag you as he runs.

G That would be an extraordinary strong thief. As I'm not
extraordinary strong, I have little chance of schlepping 6-10 lbs
of handbag around without a shoulder strap... A daypack would
be more comfortable, but it's out of my line of sight, which I do
not like.

inge

Old May 4th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Carole Allen

After lunch perhaps. I rarely have to dip into the money belt while
out and about. I kow what my plans are, how much ready cash I will
need for a day or half-day outing and keep it on my person in an inner
pocket. When in my room freshening up for dinner I pull out $$ for
that. Otherwise, I basically forget I'm even wearing the money belt.