How Hot is 110F in Arizona?

Old July 17th, 2005, 02:07 AM

Default How Hot is 110F in Arizona?

I am considering moving to either the Phoenix or Tucson area. I have
heard Tucson is about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix but I have no idea
of how hot temeratures of 100 to 115F are like. I love the hot weather
when the hunmidity is below 40% and the temperatures are 80-90F here in
the Northeast USA. But it doesn't get to 110F here. I have never
experienced the really high temperatures. My question is what is it
like? Is it so hot you can't go for an afternoon jog, bicycle ride or
swim? Is it like an oven or is it just really warm but no where near
the uncomfortable weather in the east with temperatures at 85F and
humidity around 80%? What is is really like? Can you say something like
115F at 7% hunidity is about compraeable to 80F at 70% humidity?

Also, just a side note but no less important, what is the general crime
situation like? I know certain areas are bad and some are good. I mean
what is the general crime climate?

Old July 17th, 2005, 03:17 AM

There are charts available which show the relatively comfort level of
various temperature / humidity combinations:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wheat3.htm

In general, most folks find 100+ weather to be uncomfortable even if
the humidity is low. But if you're considing a move there, it might be
well worth it to spend a few days there first and experience the
weather first-hand.

Another idea is to post your question to the Las Vegas newsgroup, as
many folks in that group live in Vegas where the weather is similar.

Jim

Old July 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Hatunen

On 16 Jul 2005 19:17:27 -0700, wrote:

There are charts available which show the relatively comfort level of
various temperature / humidity combinations:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wheat3.htm

In general, most folks find 100+ weather to be uncomfortable even if
the humidity is low. But if you're considing a move there, it might be
well worth it to spend a few days there first and experience the
weather first-hand.

Unfortunately, a few days won't tell you much about the
liveability. We've had nearly 30 straight days over 100F now and
it's kind of getting to me. The monsoon is late and we look
forward to it eagerly.

No one I know finds 100F to be particularly uncomfortable at
humidity levels around 10% RH. So long as they stay in the shade.
In fact, if there's a breeze it can almost feel chilly.

Another idea is to post your question to the Las Vegas newsgroup, as
many folks in that group live in Vegas where the weather is similar.

Up to a point.

Old July 17th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Hatunen

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:19:06 +0000, Sally wrote:

wrote in news:1121562436.364315.147790
:
I have never
experienced the really high temperatures. My question is what is it
like? Is it so hot you can't go for an afternoon jog, bicycle ride or
swim?

Some people get used to it. Some people can't. Depends a lot on your
fitness level and weight. Skinny people can handle the heat a lot better
than fat people. Obviously, swimming is a lot different from cycling, though
cycling does have a built-in breeze (as long as you don't stop).

Swimming has the advantage that when you step out of the water,
even at 110F, the evaporation rate makes you shiver.

Old July 17th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Hatunen

On 16 Jul 2005 18:07:16 -0700, wrote:

I am considering moving to either the Phoenix or Tucson area. I have
heard Tucson is about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix but I have no idea
of how hot temeratures of 100 to 115F are like.

Imagine yourself stepping out the door into a giant hari dryer.

I love the hot weather
when the hunmidity is below 40% and the temperatures are 80-90F here in
the Northeast USA.

10% RH is a whole new ballgame.

Expect to have chapped lips the first month or so.

But it doesn't get to 110F here. I have never
experienced the really high temperatures. My question is what is it
like? Is it so hot you can't go for an afternoon jog, bicycle ride or
swim?

Swimming is OK. The water will be cool and as soon as you step
out of the water you will feel downright cold. Even at 110F. But
really, 110F is a bit unusual.

Some people do bicycle and all, especially early in the morning.
But they take care to drink lots of water.

Is it like an oven or is it just really warm but no where near
the uncomfortable weather in the east with temperatures at 85F and
humidity around 80%?

I prefer Tucson to that 85F. Fort Lauderdale sems downright
sticky to me, even in December.

What is is really like? Can you say something like
115F at 7% hunidity is about compraeable to 80F at 70% humidity?

Also, just a side note but no less important, what is the general crime
situation like? I know certain areas are bad and some are good. I mean
what is the general crime climate?

There's a fair amount of crime here.

Old July 17th, 2005, 07:07 AM
stefan patric

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:07:16 -0700, rk73737 wrote:

I am considering moving to either the Phoenix or Tucson area. I have heard
Tucson is about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix but I have no idea of how
hot temeratures of 100 to 115F are like. I love the hot weather when the
hunmidity is below 40% and the temperatures are 80-90F here in the
Northeast USA. But it doesn't get to 110F here. I have never experienced
the really high temperatures. My question is what is it like? Is it so hot
you can't go for an afternoon jog, bicycle ride or swim? Is it like an
oven or is it just really warm but no where near the uncomfortable weather
in the east with temperatures at 85F and humidity around 80%? What is is
really like? Can you say something like 115F at 7% hunidity is about
compraeable to 80F at 70% humidity?

Okay, I'll give you a little test you can do at home to get a idea of what
115F feels like: Next time you're cooking a roast in the oven and open
the door to check on its progress, that blast of hot air on your face is
what 115F feels like, but all over. Really. ;-) And with the low
humidity in the desert, you can get dehydrated really fast without
realizing it.

I've lived and worked outside in this type of climate for
the past 34 years. On a normal workday -- about 6 to 7 hours, I'll drink 2
to 3 gallons of water. That's about 10 to 15 pounds by weight. Even
drinking all that weight, I'll still be about 5 pounds lighter than when I
left home in the morning. So, I've basically lost 15 to 20 pounds of water through perspiration and
urination. It usually takes me another two hours, more or less, once I'm
home, in cool air conditioning, to fully rehydrate. If you're not
accustomed to such heat, you'll loose even more fluid than the Ol' Timers.

Also, just a side note but no less important, what is the general crime
situation like? I know certain areas are bad and some are good. I mean
what is the general crime climate?

Tucson has less crime than Phoenix. It's also smaller, population-wise,
too. Tucson is also HOTTER than Phoenix by about 10 degrees F, not cooler.
When last I visited Tucson, I liked the "small town" feel. Phoenix is
just another big city metropolis.

Have you considered moving to Flagstaff? Smaller than Tucson, higher in
elevation, cooler, temperate, alpine climate with four seasons. Actually
snows in the winter there. Very low crime.

Stefan