Renting a car with manual transmission in the US

Old August 20th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Lynne Jeffers wrote:

In article 1124448905.3ee76d04807204b3de407c9b5932cb7e@teran ews,
Icono Clast wrote:

pltrgyst wrote:

Icono Clast said:

pltrgyst wrote:

In the US there's an extra charge for a Manual Transmission
if you are going to buy one. Automatic is the norm for just
about every car.

That is simply not true.

But it is true. Apparently you've not tried to buy a new car in
a couple of decades. I've tried, several times, to get cars with
clutches to be told they were simply not available.

It is *not* true. The point of availability has absolutely nothing
to do with the pricing structure of manual vs. automatic
transmissions.

I have here the window sticker from the car I bought about eighteen
months ago. It has only three items for which there's an above-base
charge:
"Curtain Side Airbags", "Rear Spoiler" (that I didn't want),
"Carpet/Cargo Mat Set". Well, four if you count the "Delivery,
Processing and Handling Fee".

The evidence I have before me is that you're STILL wrong!

I believe that automatic transmissions increase the cost of the
automobile. Practically all Japanese and European car manufacturers use
the manual transmission as the default on their cars; an automatic
transmission costs extra.

American car manufacturers have tended to make automatic transmissions
the default on their cars and include its cost in the base cost of the
car.

For example, go to Chevy's web site and compare the Cobalt to the
Impala. The Cobalt comes with a 5-speed manual as the default
transmission, and it costs an additional $850 to get it with an
automatic transmission. However, Chevy doesn't even offer a manual
transmission on the Impala; its cost is included in the base price of
the car.

It may be that the automobile you purchased was not available with a
manual transmission and its base price included the automatic.

My $.02. YMMV.

-Lynne

You may well be correct as far as MSRP goes. However if there are sales
promotions or discounts available they are often not there for special
orders which is where almost all US manual transmission purchases come.

Old August 21st, 2005, 09:56 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

You may well be correct as far as MSRP goes. However if there are sales
promotions or discounts available they are often not there for special
orders which is where almost all US manual transmission purchases come.

Depends on the car dealership doesn't it? I test drove a Mustang in LA last
week. They had about twenty 2005 models on the lot, about 10 of them were
manuals. And yes, they charged more for automatics. Neither manual BMW I
own(ed) were special orders, both were on the lot. And even my manual Acura
Legend from 89 was not a special order. All of these cars were bought in
California, some in Southern California, some in the SF bay area. Perhaps in
other parts of the country manuals are rare?

Old December 11th, 2005, 05:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Renting a car with manual transmission in the US

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

pltrgyst wrote:

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:36:45 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

In the US there's an extra charge for a Manual Transmission if you are
going to buy one. Automatic is the norm for just about every car.

That is simply not true. While there are numerous autos built only
with automatics, there are only one or two isolated models on which an
AT is standard and a manual costs extra. For the vast majority of cars
and trucks offering both, the manual is standard, and the AT is an
optional extra charge.

Many rental agencies don't trust customers to treat a clutch properly,
and would prefer to avoid the maintenance charges resulting from poor
driving technique.

-- Larry (lucky enough to have a wife who also prefers manuals... 8

For rental companies the real problem is that they have a rotten resale
prospect.

That's the end result of the stupidfication of the U.S.ofA...... make it
easier and subtract effort...... no ****ing wonder obesity IS running amok.

When people find out that I have a stick-shift they're ****ing absolutely
amazed (only thing I drive - 3 cars ALL manuals)...... then they want me to
teach them....

Old December 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Bill McKee wrote:

The rental car companies are really just car sales companies. And it is
hard to sell a stick shift car in most areas, and the price it gets is less.

In america where "easier" and "less effort" is THE WAY IT IS: why americans are
fat ****ing slob pigs.

snip

Old December 11th, 2005, 05:49 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote:

usatraveler wrote:
There is virtually no learning curve to an automatic transmission.

Yes there is - I know, having learned and driven manual transmission and
manual brakes for the first few years of my driving experience. The
first time I drove an automatic, once when accelerating from a traffic
light I instinctively tried to change gears; my left foot, moving to
step on the clutch, stepped on the (wider) power brake peddle and I came
to an unexpected screeching halt in the middle of a busy intersection!
A lot of heads turned that day. Nothing injured other than my pride,
but ...

And you forgot to mention that persons who drive a stick-shift and KNOW HOW
TO CONTROL THEIR CAR have to learn how to SIT ON THE DAMNED BRAKE PEDAL WHEN
DRIVING A SLUSHBOX.

snip

Old December 11th, 2005, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Just to add a note of sanity! ;-) I'm from the UK and I drove 3,000
miles in BC Canada last year, including central Vancouver and Victoria, and
I'm intending a similar driving trip in the US next summer.

I normally drive a manual transmission car (most of them are here in the
UK), and I was only too glad - driving on the right hand side of the road,
and the left hand side of the car - for having one less thing to think
about!

Why do you want a manual car? The only disadvantage I found in my rented
Buick was the somewhat "soggy" acceleration curve, compared to a gear shift
.... but driving long distances was a dream! The petrol ("gas") is sooooo
much cheaper over there, so the increased fuel consumption made little
difference. (No comments about Kyoto, please...)

Barb

Old December 11th, 2005, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Barb" wrote:
Just to add a note of sanity! ;-) I'm from the UK and I
drove 3,000 miles in BC Canada last year, including central
Vancouver and Victoria, and I'm intending a similar driving
trip in the US next summer.

I normally drive a manual transmission car (most of them are
here in the UK), and I was only too glad - driving on the right
hand side of the road, and the left hand side of the car - for
having one less thing to think about!

I live in the U.S. and tried to rent a manual transmission here
to teach my wife how to drive one for our trip to Europe. No
such luck. Even truck rental places had only automatics. I had
to borrow a manual transmission vehicle from a friend. =R=

Old December 12th, 2005, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Bill McKee wrote:

The rental car companies are really just car sales companies. And it is
hard to sell a stick shift car in most areas, and the price it gets is
less.

In america where "easier" and "less effort" is THE WAY IT IS: why
americans are
fat ****ing slob pigs.

snip

I don't know if you are fat, but you definately are a pig.