Driving While on Cell Phone Worse Than Driving While Drunk

Old July 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Driving While on Cell Phone Worse Than Driving While Drunk

Dave Smith wrote:
Alohacyberian wrote:

Oh, I think there's ample evidence that cell phones have caused a plethora
of car wrecks as well as pedestrian injuries and fatalities. Interestingly,
those who defend talking on cell phones while driving, will sooner or later
get into a car wreck, hit a bicycle or a pedestrian or have some other
malady befall them. I wonder if they'll change their tune after that. I
recently read in the newspaper an account of a woman who rolled her SUV and
her arm was severed in the accident which killed her. But, at the end of
her severed arm, the hand was still clutching the cell phone that killed
her. I'll bet she'll never talk on her cell phone again while driving. KM

We had an incident a few years just 1/2 mile down the highway from where I
worked there was a long line of tractor trailers stopped due to a backup at the
border. The delays had been going on fo weeks and there were lots of signs and
even a mobile flashing sign to warn about the stoppages. A pickup truck ran
into the back of a tractor trailer at the rear of the line. The first person on
the scene reported that there was someone on the other end of the line wondering
what the noise was. It was the sound of his friend getting killed.

A local girl was recently convicted
after she failed to stop for a school
bus with its lights flashing and killed
a kid. She was reaching for a ringing
cell phone.

Marsha/Ohio

Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:06:44 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

Alohacyberian wrote:

[...]

And if that person had been arguing in person, they'd both be dead.
You have no data for how cell phone distractions compare to in person
distraction. Just because you can see one doesn't make it the only
kind of distraction.
Old July 4th, 2006, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-07-03 17:39:57 -0400, AZ Nomad said:

And if that person had been arguing in person, they'd both be dead.
You have no data for how cell phone distractions compare to in person
distraction. Just because you can see one doesn't make it the only
kind of distraction.

Why don't you cite the other kind of accident, "arguing in person", if
you think that?

I've had it with all of you apologists for cell phones. You don't have
a clue what's wrong with you, at any time. You're a separate species.
Get with the human race!

Old July 4th, 2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-07-03 17:39:57 -0400, AZ Nomad said:

And if that person had been arguing in person, they'd both be dead.
You have no data for how cell phone distractions compare to in person
distraction. Just because you can see one doesn't make it the only
kind of distraction.

Why don't you cite the other kind of accident, "arguing in person", if
you think that?

I've had it with all of you apologists for cell phones. You don't have
a clue what's wrong with you, at any time. You're a separate species.
Get with the human race!

Why don't you try engaging three brain cells. You rally and whine
about cell phones and are ignoring the fact that conversations occur
all the time.
Old July 4th, 2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

AZ Nomad wrote:

Why don't you try engaging three brain cells. You rally and whine
about cell phones and are ignoring the fact that conversations occur
all the time.

Engage your own three brain cells and accept the fact that no one said that
drivers don't have conversations. I don't talk on my cell phone when I am
driving. And when I am out I see all kinds of people doing stupid things at
the wheel because they are too busy on the cell phone. Just thins afternoon I
was out cycling and was in one of the few roadside bike lanes. I almost got
clipped by the mirror of a passing minivan who was over the line. Sure enough,
the driver was yakking on the cell phone.

Old July 4th, 2006, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
AZ Nomad wrote:

Why don't you try engaging three brain cells. You rally and whine
about cell phones and are ignoring the fact that conversations occur
all the time.

Engage your own three brain cells and accept the fact that no one said
that
drivers don't have conversations. I don't talk on my cell phone when I am
driving. And when I am out I see all kinds of people doing stupid things
at
the wheel because they are too busy on the cell phone. Just thins
afternoon I
was out cycling and was in one of the few roadside bike lanes. I almost
got
clipped by the mirror of a passing minivan who was over the line. Sure
enough,
the driver was yakking on the cell phone.

These people are too smug to realize how dangerous their behavior is to
themselves and to others; they think they're too smart to have something
gruesome happen. But, the odds are, they'll be involved in a tragedy - the
sad thing is, others will very likely pay the price as well. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or

Old July 4th, 2006, 01:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-07-04 03:46:14 -0400, "Alohacyberian" said:

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

They also consider themselves VERY important, so much so that they
can't be deprived of their dangerous link to someone (anyone!) else no
matter what they're doing. I've heard cell phones ring in concerts and
plays, and people actually answer them! Then there are the loudmouths
who go around talking on them in very disturbing environments.

The point is that these people are MUCH more important than you or me.
We should feel humbled and grateful in their presence, even if they're
****ting on the floor.

Old July 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

George Max wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 22:41:20 GMT, sechumlib

On 2006-07-01 18:19:14 -0400, George Max
said:

We just don't need more laws. I agree that the use of cell phones is
distracting, but I don't think any more than a lot of things people
already do. Reading, grooming, eating and so on.
Bust 'em with the laws we already have. Get the cops out on the
highways visible to all instead of hiding behind a billboard or
freeway overpass with their cash register, er, radar gun. Increased
visibility by the police would go a long way to improve public safety.

Guess it doesn't matter to YOU, and according to YOU it shouldn't
matter to anyone, that cell phones have recently caused more accidents
than all other kinds of inattention combined. NO NEW LAWS! Read my lips!

Right. Even better for you, I speak to my representatives. What
about you?

No new laws. When you're driving badly, you get a ticket. Whatever
the reason. You cause an accident, you get cited. Maybe more.
Regardless the cause. Cell phones are not suddenly turning people
into bad drivers. Bad drivers are bad drivers. Cells didn't make
them that way.

Cause an accident? Using a cell? Inattentive driving. Get punished.

The problem is that "inattentive driving" is far too subjective to mean
anything.

"Your honor, despite the fact that I was chatting on my cell, applying
lipstick, and drinking a 40, I *was* attentive, and *did* see the
pedestrian in the crosswalk. It was he who was being inattentive, and
decided to cross when he shouldn't have."

There's already plenty of laws on the books. *Use them!*