NYC Tourist Questions

Old August 1st, 2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default NYC Tourist Questions

I don't need hotels in NYC often as we just drive down or take the train,
usually for a day or an evening. However, if you do a google search on
"new york city cheap hotel" it brings up a lot of sites with hotels within
your range.

I would think that with a 12yo son you'd want to be near a park if he's
active.

Friends of ours who visited NYC just this past spring with two kids enjoyed
their stay at the Embassy Suites, which is way downtown by the WTC site, on
the water, and their room had a view of the Statue of Liberty. They liked
the degree of separation from the children, the easy proximity to things,
that Battery Park is right there, and there is a movie complex nearby. I
don't know what they paid, though.

While doing your research for the trip, keep an eye out for 'family
packages' at museums, etc. Many of them will offer you at least a few
dollars savings, and there may be printable coupons on the Internet, or
certain hours on certain days where you can just go in for free.

As expensive as hotels are in NYC, you can make up some of that cost based
on how you spend the rest of your money. On your first day, find a market
near your hotel and buy a whole case of bottled water for only $5 or 6, and
you won't have to pay $2 each on the street.

Eat on the street! A nice hot dog at 10am will hold you for a kebab at 2,
and you can skip the formality of lunch.

Eat ethnic! You can eat on the cheap if you're willing to forego faked-up
ambience for the real thing. There are Andean restaurants right thru Zulu
restaurants, where you can eat for ten bucks a head, sometimes much less
than that.

Tour cheap! Take the train out to Sheepshead Bay and walk around, then take
the ferry out to the Rockaways and have some clams for lunch. Or get off
the train at Coney Island first and walk the boardwalk, maybe ride a few
rides or swim in the ocean, then walk to the Sheepshead Bay ferries. You
can eat at Coney Island too, and everything is sinfully good (and fattening,
I'm sure).

Buy a transit card! $7/day or $24/week for unlimited subway and bus use.
Single rides are $2, so the cards will usually work out well for visitors.

Beat feet! Pick areas and walk around for a half day. Try from town hall
down to the Battery and around to Southport Seaport. Another time visit the
Village and surroundings (East and West Village, SOHO, Chinatown and the
Bowery). Believe me, I'm not recommending these as individual walks, just
interesting areas to see. Midtown is where most museums are, and where the
famous Fifth-Avenue stores sit, and there is fun to be had there too, though
a bit more upscale. There an excess of excess, and it's fun to see, but
most have to participate vicariously. A few that are worth walking into are
FAO Schwara, Tiffany & Co, and (I haven't seen it yet) the Apple Computer
Store.

You won't want to miss a walk thru Rockefeller Center (both on the surface
and the underground plaza), and if there's something worthwhile at Radio
City go see it, otherwise at least take the tour.

Look at me, I'm writing a travelogue, and that happens sometimes. Go.
Enjoy. There is value for your money in the city.

Keith

"C. Massey" wrote in message
.. .
We have never been to New York City and have a question or two.

Is it possible to get a decent, clean room in a *safe* area for under $200
per night for wife, son (12 yrs old) and myself? What part of town would I
look in for this?

I would assume that taking the normal precautions, the we would be safe
wondering around town. Any areas to avoid?

We have never been anywhere like this before, so have no clue.

Thanks for any advice/tips.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0631-1, 08/01/2006
Tested on: 8/1/2006 8:44:12 AM

Old August 1st, 2006, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

jdoe wrote:
On 1 Aug 2006 14:47:13 -0700, "PeterL" wrote:

jdoe wrote:
On 1 Aug 2006 12:53:58 -0700, "PeterL" wrote:

jdoe wrote:
On 1 Aug 2006 08:32:51 -0700, "Iceman" wrote:

New York is actually the safest of the ten largest American cities.
The crime rates were much higher in the 1970's and 1980's, and that's
where its bad reputation comes from. Virtually everything on the
island of Manhattan is safe, day or night. Harlem is safe during the
day, and is fine at night if you stick to the main streets. Most of
the high-crime areas that still exist in the city are deep in the outer
boroughs, and aren't close to anything of interest to tourists.

you're giving bad advice, while much of manhattan where most tourists
tend to go is relatively safe there are still some very bad areas.
I am not going to list every one, but better advise to a neophyte
would be to stick to the more tourist oriented areas at night and to
be cautious wherever you are, there are many predators out there
regardless of the flowery statistics.

Isn't that exactly what he said? There are bad areas in all major
cities. NYC is relatively safe even in many non tourist areas. For
example, we stayed in the upper west side a couple of weeks ago. It's
a residential, not tourist area. We felt very safe taking subway and
buses to and from that area late at night.
no, he said that ALL of MANHATTAN was safe,

He said **virtually** all of Manhattan is safe. Which he then
qualifies by saying even Harlam is safe in the day time and major
streets.

and I am saying that
statement isn't true because there are many parts of MANHATTAN that
are not safe for both tourists and residents.
Just because you stayed on the upper far westside and had no problems
doesn't qualify you to know about what is where, walk 3 or 4 blocks
east of where you stayed and the area is like a war zone.

3 or 4 blocks east of where we stayed took us to Central Park. I would
not go there late at night for sure. But day time and into the early
evenings we have no problem. It's nothing like a war zone. Have you
been to a real war zone?

then you weren't on the upper west side

80th street is not upper west side?

Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Pan

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 23:11:22 GMT, Rita wrote:

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 16:25:47 -0400, jdoe wrote:

no, he said that ALL of MANHATTAN was safe, and I am saying that
statement isn't true because there are many parts of MANHATTAN that

are not safe for both tourists and residents.
Just because you stayed on the upper far westside and had no problems
doesn't qualify you to know about what is where, walk 3 or 4 blocks
east of where you stayed and the area is like a war zone.

I think you have made many posts in the past pointing out how
dangerous New York City is. I believe you do not live in New York
City. I remember a flood of alarmist posts from you, with which all
city residents heartily disagreed.

I think he said he lives in Jersey City, which I believe is still a
genuinely dangerous or at least dicey city - certainly, compared to
Manhattan - and he has repeatedly made clear his prejudice and
animosity toward New York. I don't know of any part of Manhattan which
I'd currently consider dangerous. I'll grant that I haven't been to
Inwood in years, but the only thing that's vaguely reminiscent of a
tourist attraction in that neighborhood is Inwood Park. I have felt
perfectly safe walking through Harlem during the day, and have felt
fine walking through Harlem watchfully at night. When I walk through
Harlem at night, I naturally tend to walk on avenues and two-way
streets. Is it possible that some side street I'm not familiar with is
dangerous? Perhaps, but that's no reason for tourists to stay away.
More important than knowing where to walk (except to avoid
neighborhoods like East New York in Brooklyn, where you'd never have a
reason to go unless you know someone there) is knowing how to walk in
a big city like New York. The main point is to keep your wits about
yourself without being fearful. If your gut tells you a street is
unsafe, pay attention to it. Keep your wallet in your front pocket or
if you use a purse, hold it securely. Pay attention to what's
happening around you, but don't stare at people.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Pan

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:48:40 GMT, Brian Wickham
wrote:

[snip]
Wherever you find a hotel room, you will probably be in a good
location for visitors. As a general rule, on the West Side
concentrate on below 103 Street from Riverside Drive to Central Park.
On the East Side anywhere below 96 Street is good. The "gold
standard" is staying in the area from 42 Street to 57 Street, only as
far west as 8th Avenue. If you stay in Manhattan there is really no
place that is inconvenient for visitors.

[snip]

We're in general agreement, but please elaborate on the "gold
standard." Do you mean in terms of price (more "gold"), convenience,
interest to visitors??

Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2006-08-01 17:47:13 -0400, "PeterL" said:

He said **virtually** all of Manhattan is safe. Which he then
qualifies by saying even Harlam is safe in the day time and major
streets.

There's no point in arguing with Jdoe. He knows it all, and anyone who
knows something different is wrong. Save your energy by just ignoring
what he says.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 03:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Cathy Kearns

wrote:

[snip]
Wherever you find a hotel room, you will probably be in a good
location for visitors. As a general rule, on the West Side
concentrate on below 103 Street from Riverside Drive to Central Park.
On the East Side anywhere below 96 Street is good. The "gold
standard" is staying in the area from 42 Street to 57 Street, only as
far west as 8th Avenue. If you stay in Manhattan there is really no
place that is inconvenient for visitors.

[snip]

We're in general agreement, but please elaborate on the "gold
standard." Do you mean in terms of price (more "gold"), convenience,
interest to visitors??

I don't know, I was thinking gold standard as super ritzy. Isn't Central
Park South 59th? I thought Columbus circle was somthing like 59th and 8th.
(Central Park South/ Central Park West). And I know thats where you get the
views of the park.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:59 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

jdoe wrote:

jdoe wrote:
[...]

that's the west side, to most people the upper west side is over 110
street, thanks for playing

Then please explain this map from nyc.gov:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/neighbor/neighd.shtml

I guess the New York City Government don't know the city, huh? You
must live in New Jersey.

Thanks for playing indeed.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

jdoe wrote:
On 1 Aug 2006 20:59:39 -0700, "PeterL" wrote:

3 or 4 blocks east of where we stayed took us to Central Park. I would
not go there late at night for sure. But day time and into the early
evenings we have no problem. It's nothing like a war zone. Have you
been to a real war zone?
then you weren't on the upper west side

80th street is not upper west side?

that's the west side, to most people the upper west side is over 110
street, thanks for playing

Then please explain this map from nyc.gov:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/neighbor/neighd.shtml

I guess the New York City Government don't know the city, huh? You
must live in New Jersey.

Thanks for playing indeed.

whatever

Why can't you say you were wrong? You know NYC better than the people
at nyc.gov?

You have no credibility in this. I am just a tourist in NYC and I know
the city better than you.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Vacation Mamma

"I will say this -- you can get around Manhattan easily with public
transportation so do not need to have your hotel situated in any
particular area. "

In fact, public transportation is safe and affordable. Get your metro
card for 7 days of unlimited subway and bus riding for just $24/person.
That's less than taking your car out of a hotel garage.

I personally recommend vacation rental apartments over hotels for
families. You will get more privacy, be in a neighborhood, more for
your money, and the ability to save dramatically by eating breakfast at
home and even packing a lunch or snack. NYC has the best deli's and
take out and delivery, so you don't even have to cook anything if you
don't want. Look for rentals at www.greatrentals.com ask for a
contract with the exact physical address, use a credit card, ask for
references if you are anxious, check tripadvisor. I almost fell for a
bait and switch condo hotel scam - if it looks too good to be true it
probably is. Lodging in NYC with more than a tiny hotel room will run
$250 night and up. (I know there are lsome cheap places, but for most
families this is the case).

I"ve just returned from my first trip to NYC since I was a young adult.
This time with kids 11 and 13, and my husband for part of the time.
We stayed near E.30th and Park, only 2 block from the subway 6 line.
Fantastic location! Quiet and safe at night and day....

Do make time for:
a Broadway play (we saw Hairspray) register at www.playbill.com for
discounts.
a Yankees game if at the right time of year (even though we are fans of
another team)
sightseeing: Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island,
World Trade Center Site, Churches. chrysler building, Flatiron Bldg.,
Washington Square Park
museums: Guggenheim, the Met, MoMa
shopping - even if you go only to stores you know from back home, the
ones in NYC are often flagship stores bigger and better in every way

Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Pan

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 02:56:19 GMT, "Cathy Kearns"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Correct on all counts.