Breaking news regarding Travel

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
ant[_3_]

Default Breaking news regarding Travel

Sapphyre wrote:

If I get on a flight, it will be six hours at least on the plane, plus
transfer time maybe, and the three or so hours I spend at the airport
before we leave, not to mention the hour or two it takes to get to the
airport. I could certainly use deodorant at the boarding gate.

Flying across the Pacific, it is nice to have a little wash-up in the
aeroplane bathroom after 9 or so hours (the flights are around 13 hours,
that's airtime, not futzing around the airport time... which is where you
get hot).
and at the airport too.
I always carry a few fresh t-shirts and undies, and go through several
during the trip.

Seriously though, between Toronto and Las Vegas, I'll survive. Not
having lip balm will bother me a helluva lot more, but perhaps one of
the problems that is resolved by having airside shops (if they exist
in the US Departure area at Toronto, I don't seem to remember much
after passing Immigration from my last trip).

I hope they do something about that... sell travel pack sachets of
moisturiser and lip balms. I don't think my lips will last even a few hours
on a dry plane without something.

--
ant

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"ant" wrote:
I hope they do something about that... sell travel pack
sachets of moisturiser and lip balms. I don't think my lips
will last even a few hours on a dry plane without something.

How about this: Take enuff drugs B4 boarding that you
sleep thru the flight. That way, your lips will never know,
until you wake up. =R=

Old August 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

Rog' wrote:
"ant" wrote:
I hope they do something about that... sell travel pack
sachets of moisturiser and lip balms. I don't think my lips
will last even a few hours on a dry plane without something.

How about this: Take enuff drugs B4 boarding that you
sleep thru the flight. That way, your lips will never know,
until you wake up. =R=

I'd have to get those "drugs" past Immigration then security (at
Pearson, we pass Immigration and Customs, then security). If i take
them before, I'll be too busy passing out while answering questions.

But anyway, I don't think I need any more drugs in my system. I'm
pretty well dosed as it is, and it's not a good idea to go mixing
sedatives with other types of medication.

S.

Old August 13th, 2006, 06:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"Maxx" wrote in message
oups.com...
Alohacyberian wrote:
"Sapphyre" wrote in message
ups.com...
But when I travelled on the bus, I did find a toothbrush (not banned in
the US), toothpaste, lotion, deodorant to be very useful. Although
people don't fly Trans-Pacific every day, do you really want to smell
an unclean person after travelling for twelve hours?

Stick deodorants are acceptable aren't they? KM

Might be a question on that too. It was reported that lip balm was
banned. Stick deodorants might be in the same classification.

Sounds very likely. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or

Old August 13th, 2006, 06:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"Rita" wrote in message
On 12 Aug 2006 08:51:29 -0700, "Maxx" wrote:
Alohacyberian wrote:

Stick deodorants are acceptable aren't they? KM

Might be a question on that too. It was reported that lip balm was
banned. Stick deodorants might be in the same classification.

I have read that people have had to ditch all their cosmetics -- and
many are not in liquid or gel form but are in a form that makes them
easily soluble. That's the point -- to ban all substances that could
be mixed with a liquid.

I never thought of deodorant as a cosmetic! But I see what you mean. I'm
not sure how you would mix a stick deodorant with a liquid, but, then again,
I'm not a chemist or a terrorist. KM

Old August 13th, 2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hunt

In article .com, sapphyre_
says...

Alohacyberian wrote:
Stick deodorants are acceptable aren't they? KM

I saw them in the bin of stuff being confinscated while watching the
news, but I didn't note if they were showing US or UK footage. One
woman bitched that blush isn't going to be "dangerous" and she had to
throw it out. I don't know if this is permanent, or how permanent, but
it looks like they aren't taking chances.

I'd argue with the women cited above. I've seen "blush" applied to the extent
that I doubt the cabin crew could do their jobs, considering the frightening
appearance of some.

Although the rules on the Canadian website haven't been changed yet
formally, they are currently enforcing most of the new US rules. If
we're going to the US, we have to go through the X-ray bare foot and
put our shoes through the X-ray.

The reason that I always make sure that I'm wearing good socks. There are many
things so bad as standing in the security line, with your toes sticking out!
Many airports have taken to offering "footies," atleast in the Premier
security line.

This is like one of my jobs, but we didn't have an X-ray. Just a metal
detector. Shoes were always hand inspected, or simply "passed around"
after a glance. As well, buckles and eyelets, etc, would set off the
detector.

S.

This is why I always travel in "loafers." They are easy to slip off and on. I
usually place my belt, watch, money-clip, glasses, etc. into my briefcase,
before the security line. That will have to be changed, when I fly out of LHR
for US in a month. Not sure WHERE that stuff will go now. For me, cellphone in
checked baggage isn't a biggie (for others, it is), however belt, watch, etc.
and no place to put them - maybe they'll let us use the bins, that go through
X-Ray, like before. Trying to keep up with what's happening with UK - US air
travel will take some research and it's likely to change daily.

Hunt

Old August 13th, 2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hunt

In article . com, sky.
says...

Sapphyre wrote:
Maxx wrote:
Why is it crazy? Why would you need shampoo, perfume, make-up, etc, on
the plane? Put it in your checked baggage, and get it at the other end.

I'm female, and I do not need any make-up, perfume or shampoo on the
plane (bus, whatever). There's lots of toilettries I don't need...

But when I travelled on the bus, I did find a toothbrush (not banned in
the US), toothpaste, lotion, deodorant to be very useful. Although
people don't fly Trans-Pacific every day, do you really want to smell
an unclean person after travelling for twelve hours? I smelt a lot of
BO on the bus. I'm hoping when I travel by plane that won't happen, but
now anything is possible. Not all of us can stay clean for hours, and
it's rather common that overweight people sweat more frequently.
Personal hygeine is one thing that makes us able to tolerate being in
closed quarters with each other.

S.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. It *is* inconvenient. But
there's not much you can do about it.

Certain brands of gum, for instance, can hold you over untill you can
get your hands on your toothpaste.

As far as deodorant goes, I found that one of the most offensive odors
is one who sprays fresh deodorant over a dirty, smelly body. A shower
before the flight is a must. Fresh clothes, which were washed with
certain fabric softeners, tend to retain a fresh smell longer. Most
offensive body oders which I have run across, were there from the
beginning. Those smelly people borded in that condition, and after
many hours, it gets gross. And sadly enough, you *can't* open a
window.

There's really no sense in complaining. You can argue with the Airport
Security 'till the cows come home, and you won't have accomplished a
thing. The best thing to do, is to find ways to keep comfortable
within the guidelines.

As for the toothbrush/toothpaste issue, there are little pads that fit on
one's fingertip, with powdered toothpaste in them. I've seen the ads on TV,
and never paid much attention to them, but wife's picking up a box for future
trips. It will be interesting to see how they are looked upon. Worst-case,
we'll chuck them into the trash at the security point.

Will be curious as to how these new regs. shake out around the globe. Lot of
time will be spent on my airline's Web sites and on TSA, where applicable.

Hunt

Old August 13th, 2006, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hunt

In article , martin@starship-
excalibur.co.uk says...

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 18:23:56 GMT, "Question Mark"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

"Hunt" wrote in message

snip

Question about Duty-Free stores (LHR primarily): what will be the policy,
regarding purchases of liquids to be hand-carried onto flights from the
Duty-
Free stores? Has the BBC addressed that? All of the Duty-Free stores
(IIRC)
are within the security perimeter. However, a worker at Duty-Free could
possibly bring something into those areas, that would have dire
consequences.

Just curious,
Hunt

They said this morning that anything purchased airside was allowed straight
onto the plane no questions asked!

Except to the US, who are banning any pax-purchased liquids on
incoming flights. This is being enforced by searches at the
gate...

Martin D. Pay
At least you can take a book on board at the US end... and your
laptop, i-pod and so on!

Martin, please clarify the term, "pax-purchased," as I've not heard it before.

Thanks,
Hunt

PS As to the book, laptop, iPod, etc., it seems that they are still allowed on
US-Domestic flights, the warning from AAA (in this case AAA-AZ via local TV
news) notwithstanding. Seems that the biggest restrictions are on UK - US
flights, with only "liquids" and the like being banned on US originating
flights. That, however, may be subject to change, at any time.