Hawaii question

Old February 16th, 2010, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
GV

Default Hawaii question

I know this group deals primarily with the mainland but I'm not sure where
else to ask. I'm planning on going to Hawaii and want to stay on Kauai.
But I also want to go to Kaanapali on Maui for at least part of a day. Can
anybody tell me how hard and how expensive it would be to make that kind of
side trip. (Actually, I'd be happy to get to the waters off Kaanapali Beach
and don't really care to get on shore so would it be feasible to travel by
boat?) TIA

Gary

Old February 16th, 2010, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
GV

Thanks for the replies Shawn and Runge11. I have googled and checked out
the air fares interisland. The cost doesn't seem all that bad but the
logistics have me concerned. Since spending a little time near Kaanapali is
a high priority I'm leaning towards just staying there instead of going to
Kauai. I'm only going for about a week and I'd rather relax at one place
rather than spending a day traveling interisland. But, if there was a way
to charter a boat and sail from Kauai to Kaanapali and back in a day I'd
consider that. That'd seem more like a vacation than running through
airports and car rental agencies.

Gary

"Runge11" wrote in message
Airplane fares are low between the islands, did you check 'em ?

: ...

Old February 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Runge11" wrote in message
Airplane fares are low between the islands, did you check 'em ?

"GV" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion
: ...
I know this group deals primarily with the mainland but I'm not sure
where else to ask. I'm planning on going to Hawaii and want to stay on
Kauai. But I also want to go to Kaanapali on Maui for at least part of a
day. Can anybody tell me how hard and how expensive it would be to make
that kind of side trip. (Actually, I'd be happy to get to the waters off
Kaanapali Beach and don't really care to get on shore so would it be
feasible to travel by boat?) TIA

There was a time when inter-island air travel was very, very cheap (like $5
or $10 a leg) if booked before you landed in Hawaii as versus after. Check
with your travel agent if the same still exists.

Old February 16th, 2010, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stefan Patric[_3_]

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:10:40 -0600, GV wrote:

Thanks for the replies Shawn and Runge11. I have googled and checked
out the air fares interisland. The cost doesn't seem all that bad but
the logistics have me concerned. Since spending a little time near
Kaanapali is a high priority I'm leaning towards just staying there
instead of going to Kauai. I'm only going for about a week and I'd
rather relax at one place rather than spending a day traveling
interisland. But, if there was a way to charter a boat and sail from
Kauai to Kaanapali and back in a day I'd consider that. That'd seem
more like a vacation than running through airports and car rental
agencies.

Gary,

I think you are unaware of the distance between Kauai and Maui--a little
over 200 miles (320 km). That's a little far for day trip by boat.

Since you really, really want to visit Kaanapali and only have a week,
stay in Kaanapali and tour Maui, Lanai, and Molokai. Save Kauai for the
next time.

Stef
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_3_]

Stefan wrote on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:57:14 GMT:

[...]

I like Kauai but there's more than enough to keep you pleasantly
occupied on Maui for a week, especially if you allocate a good slug of
time for fish watching and lazing on the beach. You should also watch
the sunset at the top of Haleakala and perhaps drive to and stay
overnight in Hana. There are lots of good day and half-day hikes if you
feel energetic, also whale watching at the right time of the year and
various cruises around the coast.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Runge11

Ummmm no, stick to the airplane...
No big deal if you wear shoes that are easy to take off...

Old February 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim....

"James Silverton" wrote in message
[...]

How on earth does "lazing on the beach" count as pleasantly occupied?

tim

Old February 17th, 2010, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_3_]

tim.... wrote on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:25:23 -0000:

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
[...]

It depends why you go to Hawaii. I count lying on the beach and taking
an occasional dip in the sea as one of the most productive things to do
:-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old February 18th, 2010, 03:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
GV

Hey, guys! Again, thanks for all the replies. Yes, 200 miles is a bit much
for a day trip by boat. Just a thought. I've been to both Maui and Kauai
and I was wanting to go back to Kauai this year. But, something came up
that's made it imperative that I get to Kaanapali at least one day. Anyhow,
I've decided to just forget about Kauai this trip and spend the whole week
on Maui. Hopefully, I can do Kauai some other time.

Gary