Fraser Island with a baby - suggestions and advice?

Old January 12th, 2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Fraser Island with a baby - suggestions and advice?

I want to go to Fraser Island for four days, with two friends and my
eight month old daughter. I've heard that the smooth track of 75 Mile
Beach is the only track of Fraser Island that is recommended for
traveling with children. I've been told that the four-wheel-drive
tracks are too rough for a young child in the car.

I was wondering about recommended campsites or cabin sites along 75
mile Beach. Also, is McKenzie Lake accessible from 75 Me Beach? As
far as camping, the eight-month-old loves camping and being in tents,
so that's no problem.

I would greatly appreciate information from anyone who's been to Fraser
Island with a young child and any advice on what we should do while
we're there.

Old January 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to go to Fraser Island for four days, with two friends and my
eight month old daughter. I've heard that the smooth track of 75 Mile
Beach is the only track of Fraser Island that is recommended for
traveling with children. I've been told that the four-wheel-drive
tracks are too rough for a young child in the car.

I was wondering about recommended campsites or cabin sites along 75
mile Beach. Also, is McKenzie Lake accessible from 75 Me Beach? As
far as camping, the eight-month-old loves camping and being in tents,
so that's no problem.

I would greatly appreciate information from anyone who's been to Fraser
Island with a young child and any advice on what we should do while
we're there.

If the child is strapped in a car seat, they will be considerably more
comfortable than you will be.

Its more a question of how well they handle motion sickness. Most 8 month
olds love this type of environment; mine would have just fallen asleep.

Old January 12th, 2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Thorsten Karrer

On 2007-01-12 05:05:32 +0100, said:

I want to go to Fraser Island for four days, with two friends and my
eight month old daughter. I've heard that the smooth track of 75 Mile
Beach is the only track of Fraser Island that is recommended for
traveling with children. I've been told that the four-wheel-drive
tracks are too rough for a young child in the car.

In terms of roghness of the ride, you'll be fine on 75 Mile Beach. But
I'd be a bit concerned about the Dingos - the place is swarming with
them and they are, after all, non-domestic carnivores. So always keep
an eye on your daughter (which I am sure you'd do anyway.)

I was wondering about recommended campsites or cabin sites along 75
mile Beach. Also, is McKenzie Lake accessible from 75 Me Beach? As
far as camping, the eight-month-old loves camping and being in tents,
so that's no problem.

AFAIR Lake McKenzie is a bit off the beach but you can reach it with a
4WD. Depending on how crowded Frazer is at the time, the way can be a
bit tough if you're not used to off-road driving.

I would greatly appreciate information from anyone who's been to Fraser
Island with a young child and any advice on what we should do while
we're there.

Indian head, champain pools, Merinho wreck, and Lake McKenzie are
probably the highlights - but of course there's much more to Frazer...

hth,

-- thorsten

Old January 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
AP

I would greatly appreciate information from anyone who's been to Fraser
Island with a young child and any advice on what we should do while
we're there.

I posed that question to my ex and she warned me from going to fraser with
young children as the dingos are to aggressive.

My suggestion to you and what I am planning is to goto Moreton Island
instead.

Old January 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
liz-australia[_1_]

Fraser Island is a great place but I wouldn't really recommend going
there with a small baby. The tracks between the various sights (apart
from 75 mile beach) are really rough and quite often you need to brace
yourself with two hands on the roof of the 4WD to stop your head
hitting the roof. Even if the baby was strapped in I think it might
find all that jolting distressing. Have a great holiday whatever you
decide.

--
liz-australia
Please reply to the newsgroup or PM me at TRAVEL.com.