How Do I Get The Rum Home?

Old March 12th, 2004, 12:23 PM
CerminaraChris

Default How Do I Get The Rum Home?

Hello,

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise next month. We'll be leaving
Easter Sunday for the Radience of the Seas. My question has multiple parts:

1) Where is the best place to buy Rum and other alcohols. We will be stopping
in San Juan, Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. When I was in St. Thomas a
few years ago (not on a cruise). I remember alcohol being really cheap. We
would like to stock our home bar if we have the chance. Our favorite is Rum,
but we'd like to pick up a little of everything.

2) If we end up buying a couple of cases, how do we get it home. I know the
ship will take it when we re-board and give it to us at the end, but what about
the plane. Can we check it in with our other luggage? Ship it home? Carry it
on? There's only two of us, so are we limited by what we can carry?

3) What are the rules about bring back alcohol. I gues it varies by where we
would buy it. I don't mind paying tax on it because it will still be cheaper
than buying it here (at least I think so. Does anyone know how much the tax is
?). What is the limit?

4) Has anyone visited the Bacardi Rum factory in San Juan? Was it worth it?
I think it would be very interesting.

Thanks for your help,
Chris
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Juliana L Holm

CerminaraChris wrote:
4) Has anyone visited the Bacardi Rum factory in San Juan? Was it worth it?
I think it would be very interesting.

I can't answer most of your questions; we don't bring back a few cases of
alcohol when we travel; we bring back a couple of bottles, which we pack in a
carryon. Except for Wine from Europe, which we bring in bigger quantities,
but I think the limit on wine may be different.

The Bacardi tour is fun. We did it on a week and a half visit to Puerto Rico
in 1994 (I think). The tour teaches you how rum is made, they explain what
the differences between the rums are, they give you free samples at a bar
and they have a factory store.

If this is your interest, it's worth doing (and easy to do it on your own).

It is not what I would do on a single day in San Juan. But it is very
worthwhile.

Juli
--
Julie
**********
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:55 PM
RICK DAVIS

DO NOT check your rum with the airlines. I can't believe people who
do this. Your standing waiting for your luggage and out come a wet
leaking Liquor box. Amazing. Carry it with you. I did the bacardi
tour (about 10 years ago) and I thought it was interesting. At the end
of the tour you can drink all the bacardi you want for free. I thought
the tour of the factory was really interesting. We did the tour on our
own instead of taking the ships tour. Cost us about $2 as opposed to
$35 on the ship.

Old March 12th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Dr. Julia

"CerminaraChris" wrote in message
[...]

The amount of money you save by purchasing liquor in St. Thomas (or anywhere
else) is not worth the amount of hassle you incur trying to bring it home,
especially if air travel is involved.

Old March 12th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Mike Cordelli

Couple of issues.

How much you can bring back is determined by where you get it, and where it
is from. If it's from outside the US, it's one liter unless it was made in
certain countries listed at the link below, then it's two liters per adult.
Liters, not cases.

You have to pay an import duty and the IRS Service tax on whatever is above
your allowance, and you may be asked to prove it's for personal use when
cases are involved. Full details over at
http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/trave..._exemption.xml

Can you ship it is determined by the state you live in. Some states allow
alcohol to be shipped to the end user and some require it go through a
distributor first, some have additional restrictions. If it's shipped then
full duty will have to be paid for customs, and that is certainly to wipe
out any savings from purchasing it.

If you want to check it as luggage, then you need to get a shipping
container. Ubid.com has some excellent ones to ship wine very little money,
I've used them many times to ship home from Napa via UPS (I ship to a state
that it's legal to do so) and never had a bottle break. If you just use the
case you bought it in, if the baggage people don't take it then it will
certainly break.

Depending on what you purchase, they may or may not let you carry it on. It
has to meet the size and weight requirements for carry on luggage, but I
don't think they will let a case go on the plane. They will usually not let
151 on.

Old March 12th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Juliana L Holm

Dr. Julia wrote:

The amount of money you save by purchasing liquor in St. Thomas (or anywhere
else) is not worth the amount of hassle you incur trying to bring it home,
especially if air travel is involved.

I'm on the middle on this. There are some alcoholic beverages that it is
hard or impossible to get in many areas. I'm thinking of Martinique Rum,
Sint Maartin's Guavaberry liquer, Bacardi Anejo, some of the flavored Cruzan
Rums.

I usually bring a bottle or four home. Rarely more than six.

--
Julie
**********
Old March 12th, 2004, 03:23 PM
joyce1155

"CerminaraChris" wrote in message

2) If we end up buying a couple of cases, how do we get it home. I know

the
ship will take it when we re-board and give it to us at the end, but what

about
the plane. Can we check it in with our other luggage? Ship it

home?
Carry it
on? There's only two of us, so are we limited by what we can carry?

We have transported 2 boxes of liquor on airplanes without a problem. Bring
bubble wrap and wrap each bottle with it ( or cushion with plastic bags/paper
towels) from the ship, then put the bottles back in the box and securely tape(
duct tape...borrow it from the ship) it closed. We place it in the overhead
compartment.Each box can 4 to 6 bottles. Bear in mind that most airlines will
only allow 1 carry on per person plus one small personal item like pocketbook/
laptop/briefcase, but I have found that this rule hasn't been enforced
recently. We travel with our 2 teens so they carry the reg carryons.
Old March 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Jean O'Boyle

Answered inline:
"CerminaraChris" wrote in message
Hello,

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise next month. We'll be

leaving
Easter Sunday for the Radience of the Seas. My question has multiple

parts:

1) Where is the best place to buy Rum and other alcohols. We will be

stopping
in San Juan, Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. When I was in St.

Thomas a
few years ago (not on a cruise). I remember alcohol being really cheap.

We
would like to stock our home bar if we have the chance. Our favorite is

Rum,
but we'd like to pick up a little of everything.

We found the best prices for rum were at the pier in San Juan. We did not
take the Bacardi Rum Factory tour so I don't know how they compare with the
pier store prices. When we lived in Puerto Rico, in 1965, we got rum for
$1.00 a bottle.
Of course, those days are gone forever! We found the prices very good in St.
Maarten also; especially on Absolute Vodka. You might check the ship's
prices, too. We picked up Crown Royal, 2 for $31.95, on the Radiance and we
also saw the same special on the Rhapsody of the Seas two weeks ago..

2) If we end up buying a couple of cases, how do we get it home. I know

the
ship will take it when we re-board and give it to us at the end, but what

about
the plane. Can we check it in with our other luggage? Ship it home?

Carry it
on? There's only two of us, so are we limited by what we can carry?

Can't help you here, as we just pick up a couple bottles.
You will love the Radiance~~she is a beautiful ship!

Have a great cruise!

--Jean

Old March 12th, 2004, 05:43 PM
0 O

Unless you are driving home its not worth the hassle . !!!!!!!!!