Backpack Advice

Old December 1st, 2003, 12:15 PM
Cloudsteppa

Default Backpack Advice

Hi, I will be travelling around Thailand & Indonesia for 4/5 months
from January and then on to Australia/New Zealand for a year,

I am currently looking at what backpack to buy, what is the best/most
practical etc if anyone has any views/opinions i would be grateful to
hear them, if u consider one to be the best or any info from
experience with your own pack i would love to hear it, Thanks in
advance,

Cheers
Old December 1st, 2003, 06:08 PM
Dan Stephenson

In article ,
Cloudsteppa wrote:

Hi, I will be travelling around Thailand & Indonesia for 4/5 months
from January and then on to Australia/New Zealand for a year,

I am currently looking at what backpack to buy, what is the best/most
practical etc if anyone has any views/opinions i would be grateful to
hear them, if u consider one to be the best or any info from
experience with your own pack i would love to hear it, Thanks in
advance,

Cheers

I have a 'travel pack' from Northface, called Gallileo. I hear it is
out of production, but found it well-made, comfortable all strapped-up,
with lots of features. There is likely a replacement for this pack
from them. It is what I used for my big 3month trip.

If you have an outdoors store in town like REI or Whole Earth, stop by
and do test-wearings of all the different packs. Test with simulated
weight in it. If it isn't comfortable in the 10 minutes in the store,
it won't after an hour.

I went with a travel pack instead of a full fledged backpack because I
was vacation, not camping. A travel pack is a pack with an internal
frame and can hide all the zippers so you can carry it by a center
handle like a suitcase.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from my 3-month European vacation and Wales 2003 at
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:11 PM
kim isaksen

"Cloudsteppa" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I will be travelling around Thailand & Indonesia for 4/5 months
from January and then on to Australia/New Zealand for a year,

I am currently looking at what backpack to buy, what is the best/most
practical etc if anyone has any views/opinions i would be grateful to
hear them, if u consider one to be the best or any info from
experience with your own pack i would love to hear it, Thanks in
advance,

Well. depends how you're style of travelling is. Some people take EVERYTHING
with them from home, some have a sarong, 4 shorts. a dive mask and 30
condoms. And Thats it.
And again, some people hike up vulcanoes with alle their gear, and some dump
their backpack in a room for 3 months. Again choose you're style. And deside
weither to buy a 18 liters travel-easy sack, or the 130 liters, i cary my
stereo, and batteries deal.

Id' say go for somewhere in-between. Maybe a 50 liters pack. It wont get to
cold around the parts where u travel, so you dont realy need all that space.
People are different in their builds and so is backpacks. So make a decision
about the size, and then go to a dealer and try them on.

One thing you'll need for sure is different zippers. One in the bottom, one
in the top, and maybe even more.

If you buy a small one the BIG advantage is that it is possible to check it
in on the plane as hand luggage, that way you wont have to live in fear of
seeing the back againg each time you go flying.

/iM

N.B. i have an alpine lowe crossbow 10 years old, and it´s great.