Mobile Phones for 10 days?

Old May 25th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Porkchop Express

Default Mobile Phones for 10 days?

Any suggestions on getting a mobile for 10 days for travel to
Barcelona, Perpignan, and London. Prepaid phones? Which phone
companies out there offer such services?
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Donald Newcomb

"Porkchop Express" wrote in message
om...
Any suggestions on getting a mobile for 10 days for travel to
Barcelona, Perpignan, and London. Prepaid phones? Which phone
companies out there offer such services?

Renting a mobile phone is very expensive. For 10 days' rental you can buy
what you need. Get an unlocked GSM phone with both 900 & 1800 MHz and a HOP
Mobile roaming prepaid SIM. Or check with your carrier to see if they
provide GSM roaming in Europe. Look at these two websites:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net
http://nordicgroup.us/intlrate

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old May 25th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Wolfgang Barth

Porkchop Express schrieb:

Any suggestions on getting a mobile for 10 days for travel to
Barcelona, Perpignan, and London. Prepaid phones? Which phone
companies out there offer such services?

Think about buying a dual- or triband GSM phone via Ebay which you
should be able to get for 20 $ or so.

Then look for prepaid cards in the countries. I dont know about spanish,
French or english ones. But german ones allow roaming but EXPENSIVE.

Remember: in Europe incoming calls on mobile phones are free if you are
in YOUR country. We call it roaming if you are in another country.

There is a very interesting prepaid system which is valid for nearly all
countries. Look at www.united-mobile.com. Incoming 50 c, outgoing 80 c
per minute all over europe!

But be aware, their system is not working with all phones.
Its working mainly with Siemens phones. Older ones like the S35 should
be available for a reasonable price of 20 or 30 $ or so (used).

Wolfgang

Old May 25th, 2004, 11:43 PM
antec

In article ,
says...
Any suggestions on getting a mobile for 10 days for travel to
Barcelona, Perpignan, and London. Prepaid phones? Which phone
companies out there offer such services?

You might consider trying
http://www.cellhire.com/

They offer tri-band phones for rental which work in all the places you
mentioned.

Some internet car rental companies such as Kemwell and Auto Europe have
special rates for the rental phones when included with a car rental.

For a trip to the UK in 2002, we got the phone rental free for 18 days,
were billed for the time used, and got delivery in the US before we left
for the UK.

Richard
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Porkchop Express

antec wrote in message iganews.com...
In article ,
says...
Any suggestions on getting a mobile for 10 days for travel to
Barcelona, Perpignan, and London. Prepaid phones? Which phone
companies out there offer such services?

You might consider trying
http://www.cellhire.com/

They offer tri-band phones for rental which work in all the places you
mentioned.

Some internet car rental companies such as Kemwell and Auto Europe have
special rates for the rental phones when included with a car rental.

For a trip to the UK in 2002, we got the phone rental free for 18 days,
were billed for the time used, and got delivery in the US before we left
for the UK.

Richard

Thx for all the tips everybody! Good looking out!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Keith Willshaw

"antec" wrote in message
ganews.com...
In article ,
says...
Any suggestions on getting a mobile for 10 days for travel to
Barcelona, Perpignan, and London. Prepaid phones? Which phone
companies out there offer such services?

You might consider trying
http://www.cellhire.com/

Only if I were seriously deranged

The call charges quoted are outrageous, the cheapest in the
UK being 90c per MINUTE for UK calls and $2.40 per minute
to call the USA

You can BUY a dual band GSM phone in the UK for £50 that
charges 30p per minute at most for UK calls and 90p per minute
to call the US and it works anywhere in Europe

Try T-Mobile or Orange

Keith

Old May 26th, 2004, 05:52 PM
billfrogg

hi, This spring I bought a Tri Band GSM phone with a TIM card for
Italy. The Tim Card allowed roaming in Northern Europe and incoming
calls free. Card good for one year. Recharge at any tabac or TIM store.
Got a TMobile card for US, every thing charged for (expensive!) and
good for only two months. Consequently, US card used only for
emergencies and recharged minimally. Overall, a great blessing while
travelling in Europe, considering that pay phones are always located in
the noisiest places where hearing is difficult even if Italian were
spoken slowly. billfrogg

In article , Porkchop
Express wrote:

antec wrote in message