So what's the deal with TED?

Old March 12th, 2004, 10:38 PM
PTRAVEL

Default So what's the deal with TED?

Having had some nice experiences on United this year, I asked them to match
my Continental Platinum status, which they did (Premiere Executive). I've
booked a flight, SFO to LAS, for a couple of weeks from now on the United
website. Either I didn't look closely enough, or it simply didn't say, but
it turns out its on a TED flight. Of course, my plan to upgrade to F with
coupons is now up in smoke, and we're looking at a couple of hours each way
in coach.

So, how is TED coach seating? As a rule, we won't fly discount carriers.
However, we've done a flight on Jet Blue and were pretty satisfied. If seat
pitch and service is on par, we'll be content on this relatively short
flight. However, if we're looking at seat pitch so tight that I can count
the hair folicles of the person seated in front of us.

Frankly, I'm not thrilled with this whole TED deal. At least on CO, I've
got access to F on all my flights and, as a Platinum Elite, I get F upgrades
(and for free) 99.99% of the time. I'm not sure what advantage there is to
being Platinum Exec on United, other than boarding first, if most of my
flights wind up being on TED.

Old March 12th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"PTRAVEL" wrote:

Having had some nice experiences on United this year, I asked them to match
my Continental Platinum status, which they did (Premiere Executive). I've

nah. CO PLT = UA 1k. you only got he equivalent of OnePass Gold
Old March 12th, 2004, 11:32 PM
mtravelkay

PTRAVEL wrote:
unt
the hair folicles of the person seated in front of us.

Frankly, I'm not thrilled with this whole TED deal. At least on CO, I've
got access to F on all my flights and, as a Platinum Elite, I get F upgrades
(and for free) 99.99% of the time.

Does CO only have multi-class service?

Old March 12th, 2004, 11:44 PM
PTRAVEL

"mtravelkay" wrote in message
. com...
PTRAVEL wrote:
unt
the hair folicles of the person seated in front of us.

Frankly, I'm not thrilled with this whole TED deal. At least on CO,

I've
got access to F on all my flights and, as a Platinum Elite, I get F

upgrades
(and for free) 99.99% of the time.

Does CO only have multi-class service?

On the branded airline, yes. I don't know about Continental Express, but I
won't fly commuters in any case. On domestic CO flights, they're all
2-class.

Old March 13th, 2004, 01:27 AM
mtravelkay

PTRAVEL said:

On the branded airline, yes. I don't know about Continental Express, but I
won't fly commuters in any case. On domestic CO flights, they're all
2-class.

But, like UA, if you just see the flight is CO, you still have the
possibility of forgetting to check ths type of service.

Old March 13th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Traveller

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

So, how is TED coach seating? As a rule, we won't fly discount carriers.

You know, it must be nice to set yourself rules like this and, in a followup
post "we won't fly commuters". I take it that you either don't pay for your
own travel, or are an individual of such high net worth that you'll pay any
money to get a comfortable flight?

Old March 13th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Nomen Nescio

Traveller wrote:

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

So, how is TED coach seating? As a rule, we won't fly discount carriers.

You know, it must be nice to set yourself rules like this and, in a followup
post "we won't fly commuters". I take it that you either don't pay for your
own travel, or are an individual of such high net worth that you'll pay any
money to get a comfortable flight?

You must be new to the delightful world of Paul Tauger. Pampered Orange County
lawyer (although he says he's in the Bay Area now), Asian trophy wife, hangs out
in alt.support.childfree ranting about how he and wifey Liana have nervous
breakdowns whenever they encounter a child while out on a date with each other
in a restaurant doing one of their re-enactments of "Pretty Woman", won't fly
small planes, is terrified of commuters, falls apart during turbulence and bad
weather, has to "self-medicate" at the airport bar before he can board a plane,
and on and on it goes in the weird, wacky world of Paul and Liana Tauger, the
poster California fun couple.....

Old March 14th, 2004, 06:44 AM
PTRAVEL

"Traveller" wrote in message ...
"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

So, how is TED coach seating? As a rule, we won't fly discount carriers.

You know, it must be nice to set yourself rules like this and, in a followup
post "we won't fly commuters".

I don't fly commuters because I don't like rollercoaster rides.

I take it that you either don't pay for your
own travel,

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Either way, I don't fly the
discount carriers, at least in the US, and with the exception of Jet
Blue (which wasn't bad at all). I flew Easyjet, once, from the UK to
Amsterdam -- the flight was comfortable and I'd fly them again.

or are an individual of such high net worth

Net worth is, evidently, relative. If you consider having the
wherewithall to be able to fly the majors, rather than discount
carriers on bargain fares, then, yes, by your standards I suppose I
have a "high net worth."

that you'll pay any
money to get a comfortable flight?

Not "any money." I will, however, pay a premium to avoid the discount
carriers.

Of course, all of this leads to the obvious question: what business is
it of yours, and why would you care?
Old March 14th, 2004, 07:44 AM
mtravelkay

PTRAVEL wrote:

"Traveller" wrote in message ...

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

So, how is TED coach seating? As a rule, we won't fly discount carriers.

You know, it must be nice to set yourself rules like this and, in a followup
post "we won't fly commuters".

I don't fly commuters because I don't like rollercoaster rides.

What "rollercoaster rides?

All of the "commuters" I fly are jets.
I haven't noticed any more turbulence on them than on the 737s I fly
down along the coast.