Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:14 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On 2009-08-21 22:14:25 -0400, "Sancho Panza" said:

"ARL" wrote in message
We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in
Queens or Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we
get from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

The Sheraton is quite a nice establishment. It has inclusive packages
for the ferry, which runs up to 10:50 p.m. and includes free bus
shuttles to nearby terminal at Port Imperiale. On the Manhattan side,
more than a dozen free bus routes circulatefrequently through midtown
and downtown Manhattan. The ferry also runs to Pier 11 on the East
River, near what is left of the South Streeet Seaport. In addition to
the Sheraton's informative Web site, here is one of the more relevant
URL's:
http://www.nywaterway.com/Home/Ridet...ule.aspx?ID=99

And

senior rates on transportation usually start at 62 in New Jersey.

So if they are out past eleven PM, whats it going to cost to get home safely?

A cab would be fifty bucks.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:16 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-20 19:09:54 -0400, "ARL" said:
Have you tried Orbitz.com or Hotels.com?

Yes, Slim. We have tried many internet booking sites and
read-contribute TripAdvisors religiously.
However, the major problems these internet booking sites, they require
you to PAY now.
Almost impossible to make any changes or cancellations. We certainly
like to know and want to pick up better deal when late October get
closer. Don't you agree?

Always look for a better deal....I agree.

But PLEASE don't stay in Noo Joisey. It can take you an hour or more
late night to get back to your hotel.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:18 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-21 07:58:35 -0400, "Peter T. Daniels" said:

On Aug 21, 1:15*am, Bolwerk wrote:
ARL wrote:
We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in Queen

or Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we ge

from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

Well, if you insist on NJ, there's a Ramada in Journal Square along the
PATH Train, but I'm not sure it's even 3-star. *It should be cheap thou

gh.

The Ramada isn't "in" Journal Square; it's several long blocks away,
on Tonnelle, downhill from the transportation center. It appears to be
a converted apartment building.

And Journal Sq. ain't the friendliest place after dark.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:19 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

We like your idea of booking something now in Manhattan and try to get
better deal as time gets closer. But we do not know how? All these
internet hotel booking sites requires you to PAY now when booked, and
almost impossible to cancel or changes, once you make the purchase.

Ever think of researching hotels for location/price and then calling
them DIRECTLY? ;-)

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:22 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-21 17:27:16 -0400, "ATM" said:

"Brian" wrote in message
news
Many of the subways are not particularly friendly to those who have
limited mobility.

We do not have mobility limitations. However, I understand its almost
impossible to carry suitcases and lugguages in most subway or bus in
NYC area?

If we drive down from Boston-Connecticut to the Mattantan hotel to
check in and drop of the lugguages. Then, return the car to nearby
rental agents. How would you do this?

Check into hotel and/or drop bags with bellman, return the car, take a
cab back to hotel.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:47 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On Aug 21, 6:54 pm, Michael Finfer wrote:
ATM wrote:
"Michael Finfer" wrote in message

There's a Hilton at Gateway Center in Newark, NJ, attached to Newark
Penn Station. It's a short train ride on NJ Transit to NY Penn
Station and to the World Trade Center station on PATH. It's also a
short train and monorail ride from Newark Airport.

There is a ferry that operates from Weehawken to Manhattan, and a
light rail line that will take you from Weehawken to Hoboken where you
can transfer to PATH. From the Manhattan ferry terminal, you can
either walk to 8th Avenue to the subway (about 4 long blocks) or take
the 34 St or 42nd St crosstown bus. Newark is probably a better
location if you intend to commute.

Many hotels in Manhattan are close to mass transit, but I'll bet
they'll be much more expensive. I'm getting a rate of $196.71 at the
Gateway Center Hilton for those dates.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Thank you Michael.
OK, in Expedia, this Hilton Newark Penn Station Hotel NJ is $189, 3.5 star.
The Steraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel NJ is $139, 3 star. But not easly
commute?

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. NJT is more expensive ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

OK, now I learn about PATH. Would its be convenient to take either these
route to mid-town NUC, if there is good hotels along these train
stations?1. yellow line from Journal Square NJ to 33rd NYC?
2. Hoboken to 33rd NYC?

PATH is a quick, usually pleasant ride (but can be very crowded during
the rush hour). The colors on the map are not used in real life. You
would look for the Hoboken train or the 33rd St. train, ect. If you
find a nice hotel near a PATH station, it's convenient. The 33rd St.
station is in the same complex as the 34th St. Sixth and Broadway line
stations (B,D,F,V,N,Q,W, and R trains), and Times Square is only 8
blocks away

That's 8 short blocks -- less than half a mile.

if you're up to walking. Lower Manhattan is a surprisingly
small place, and there are several subway lines a quick walk from the
World Trade Center station.

There's an interesting view of ground zero from PATH trains as the
trains exit the tunnel and approach the station (look out the left side
as you face forward). I don't think it's been covered up yet, but it
will be at some point.

There aren't any walls on the station yet, but construction on the
buildings is now well above train window height.

I assume along these PATH stops in NYC, we can transfer to NYC MTA
subway system easily?
Why is fare so much better at $1.75 a pop, compare to Waterway Ferry at
Lincoln Harbor to 39th for $7.75 ?

PATH subsidized by other Port Authority revenue sources such as bridge
and tunnel tolls. The ferries are a private operation and must cover
their costs and produce a profit from fares.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:50 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On Aug 21, 5:03 pm, "ATM" wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

news

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:09:54 -0700, "ARL"
wrote:

i don't know the answer to your question but I'll make a couple of
comments. One is that there are also buses from NJ that might be
possibilities.
You'll be spending some of your day going back and forth on
transportation. you might book something now but as the time gets
closer, check to see if there are any specials. One site is
travelzoo.com and others may have other ideas. We got a pretty good
deal at a 4 star hotel in a very good location in Manhattan that
included breakfast. They had many different options of different
prices.
The summer was pretty slow apparently and hotels may not be
discounting fall yet but might do so closer to the time you are going.
How much mobility do you have and how "mature" are you?
Many of the subways are not particularly friendly to those who have
limited mobility.
I consider my wife and I to be mature but that can incorporate a wide
range. Ten days after we went, I wound up getting a pacemaker I wasn't
expecting.

We are nearing retirement age, but not there yet. Certainly no teenagers &
spring chicken.
We perfer quietness and willing to pay more to get a reasonable night of
sleep. Aware of too soft beds for a week may cause back pain.

We like your idea of booking something now in Manhattan and try to get
better deal as time gets closer. But we do not know how? All these internet
hotel booking sites requires you to PAY now when booked, and almost
impossible to cancel or changes, once you make the purchase.

There's now a W hotel in Hoboken (the only hotel in Hoboken), on the
river, a few blocks from the NJT/PATH station. Presumably they're
competitive with all the other classy chains you're talking about.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:26 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:40:39 -0700, "ATM"
wrote:

We like this short term apartment in Matthattan for a week deal?
Where can we find it and how to learn more? We don't mind tidy up before we
leave.

Where did you hear about this apartment? Be careful of Craigslist.
There are many valid items there but some scams also where they take
tour money and there is no apartment. My cousin does have a beach
house in CT that he rents through Craigslist and it has worked out
well.
As far as the prepaid hotels go. Some of them are good deals but some
aren't that much of a deal. But they are non-refundable and my wife
and I are reluctant to try it. I often go to Tripadvisor and then book
through the hotel website or call the hotel directly. I was referring
to a reservation that could be cancelled if there is a better deal as
the time gets closer.
There are times that just having the card of the chain can get you a
discount. We once got 30% off a Starwood hotel in HI merely by getting
the free card. We were using a travel agent and couldn't believe it
when she told us. We thought there was a catch but there wasn't.
I wouldn't advise taking luggage on a subway in NY. You might wind up
lugging it up and down a lot of stairs.
We've always driven our own car to New York so I don't know anything
about rentals. It's very common for New Yorkers to rent cars because
it can be so expensive to keep a car in Manhattan.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:48 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Steven M. O'Neill

ATM wrote:
"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
The transit directions on Google Maps says there are at least 3
different buses to Manhattan.

I should have also said that the light rail is probably more fun.

Steven, where is this light rail?

According to Google, it's a 7 minute walk from the hotel in
question.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...w&ie=UTF8&z=17

or http://bit.ly/nnXIg

From where to where? Not directly into
Manhattan, I assume?

Right; you'd then take that to the PATH train, which would be an
easy transfer to the subway in Manhattan.

According to the njtransit.com itinerary planner, it would take
about 40 minutes (depending on the time of day). You'd take the
it to the Newport Light Rail stop, and then take the path to
33rd STreet. Total fare $3.65 ($1.95 if senior fare).

(Not sure why the planner didn't have you go to Hoboken -- might
just be the random time I chose, or maybe because it's slightly
more walking; you could just as easily go to Hoboken train
station.)

Here's a light rail map
http://www.mylightrail.com/index.php...ions&Itemid=90

The hotel is near the Lincoln Harbor stop.

(You could also take the light rail to Exchange Place, and then
the PATH to lower Manhattan -- there's a nice view and a
striking statue dedicated to the WWII massacre in Katyn, Poland)

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY