using just one leg of a round trip

Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:24 PM
pbadal

Default using just one leg of a round trip

I have a reservation for a round trip . but due to some reason i cant
take the outbound & i plan to use another means of transporation to
get to my destination
but i intend to take the return trip. will my ticket be valid? what
are my rights as a traveller?what are the faa regulations.

reticketing will cost me dearly as it is a non refundable ticket

thanks
pbadal
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:54 PM
Paul

On 23 Jun 2004 06:24:10 -0700, (pbadal) wrote:

I have a reservation for a round trip . but due to some reason i cant
take the outbound & i plan to use another means of transporation to
get to my destination
but i intend to take the return trip. will my ticket be valid? what
are my rights as a traveller?what are the faa regulations.

It really depends on what kind of ticket you hold, and with which
airline.

It is sometimes possible to do this if you have an expensive full fare
refundable ticket, or are booked with some very low cost carriers who
effectively treat each leg of a trip as a separate booking.

However. the vast majority of discounted/non-refundable return air
tickets require you to travel all legs/flights on the ticket in the
correct order, for the ticket to remain valid.

Therefore the moment you fail to check in for your out-bound flight,
your entire ticket will become void, and you will be unable to use the
return portion. You will then have to book and pay whatever the
airline asks for a one-way flight from your destination, back to your
home.

The reasons for this are complicated, but basically, airlines make a
lot of money by charging huge amounts for one-way tickets, but give
people big discounts off the cost of 2 full fare one-way tickets in
return for restrictions on the ticket use, including a condition that
you have to fly all the booked sectors exactly as ticketed.

In order to maintain the cost of one-way tickets they have to have a
mechanism to prevent people using cheap return tickets as one-way
tickets, hence the restrictions on only using parts of return tickets.

Its a very common practice in the airline industry and all pretty
watertight legally I'm afraid, so you may have to rethink your plans,
or right-off your current ticket and look at other means to get back
home cheaply.

Old June 24th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Paul

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:03:41 GMT, Mike McBain
wrote:

(pbadal) writes:

I have a reservation for a round trip . but due to some reason i cant
take the outbound & i plan to use another means of transporation to
get to my destination
but i intend to take the return trip. will my ticket be valid?

Don't worry about faa regulations; no-one takes *those* seriously.
Just show up at the airport for the return leg, and everything will
be OK. Even better, you could sell the outbound leg to someone
else and save money on the deal.

IMHO

If you don't manage to sell your out-bound ticket, then since you've
actually saved the airline some money in food, jet fuel, and baggage
handling fees by not taking your outbound flight, you are within your
rights to demand at least a $20 refund (in cash) when you check in for
your return flight. They will almost certainly initially refuse to
pay you this, but you should insist, quoting your rights under FAA
regulations.

Sometimes, they may back down quicker if you agree to settle for a
First Class upgrade instead though, and they will respect you for
knowing your rights.

Old June 25th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Olivers

Paul extrapolated from data available...

wrote:

(pbadal) writes:

[...]

No, no, simply drive out to the airport on departure day, checking in too
late for your flight, and they'll reschedule you, changing the date of your
ticket's departure leg until after your scheduled return.

TMO