Zuiderdam dodged hurricane bullet

Old September 9th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Tandoorii

Default Zuiderdam dodged hurricane bullet

I'll print a full Zuiderdam review later, but for now everyone made it back!

Left FLL Aug 28 and after Half-Moon Cay, a day at sea and a rainy Tortola,
St. Thomas was sunny and hot. However, heading north right behind Frances
posed a problem. We ended up diverting south of Puerto Rico, Hispaniola and
Cuba only to cool our sea legs in circles for a couple days while slow
moving Frances decided what he(she?) was going to do. We had smooth sailing
and an extended vacation with three days in a row at sea, since we blew off
Nassau as a stop (or Frances almost did).
Ran out of lettuce and cheese, and extra rolls at dinner had to be pilfered
from adjacent tables. No cause for alarm in the booze department, however.
FLL airport just opened and the Monday Labor Day travel crowd made it
wall-to-wall humanity. Nevertheless, our flight was moved twice by the
airline and we left on time Monday, same flight as originally booked
(independently of HAL).
Pax were offered the next cruise (western) at drastically reduced prices (SS
Balcony cat at $625pp) and many were taking advantage. BUT, with Ivan ready
to strike in the western Caribbean, I made a different choice. Plus someone
had to let the dog out!
Wonder when the Sept 4 pax were told of change of plans?

--

John Dale Kennedy
Springfield, Illinois