Tipping in USA/Canada

Old January 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Mr. Travel

Default Greg Procter Threa Tip

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

You're surely not mistaking the NZ Dollar for the US dollar??? Ours has
just one line through it ($)

As does the US$.

Unless you use a font that has two lines.

I'm typing using a font with one line - you yanks are reading something
that isn't there.

I haven't written two slashes through it in many years.
My US English keyboard only has this symbol for dollar: $
It certainly looks like there is only one line down the middle.

And, guess what.. If I got to Walmart.com, they use one line.

Old January 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:
Craig Welch wrote:
Greg Procter wrote:

You're surely not mistaking the NZ Dollar for the US dollar??? Ours has
just one line through it ($)
As does the US$.

Unless you use a font that has two lines.

I'm typing using a font with one line - you yanks are reading something
that isn't there.

You don't type 'in' a font. You just type.

Very true, Doppy, but you read in a font.
When I press the "$" key the character "$" pops on my screen in the font
I have selected. When my post hits your screen the character appears in
the font you have selected.

Your news client will have some font selected to display what you type.

My news client will have some font selected to display what you typed.

They might (although I doubt it) be the same font. So you might see one
line and I might see two; or vice versa.

Sure - but I typed the character that appears on my keyboard with a
single downstroke.
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Default Greg Procter Thre Tipp

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:
TMOliver wrote:

"Greg Procter" wrote ...

My answer is absolutely straight.
I own an IBM PC which is significantly different in specification to an
XT.
I don't have a manual for it, but I do have a manual for an XT. They are
not the same.

To most of us, "PC" simply is the vernacular description first accorded
small "desktop" computers of IBM/IBM clone genre.

That's entirely due to your ignorance of computers.

What about your ignorance of the XT being a PC.
It's name was IBM Personal Computer XT, also known as IBM PC/XT

IIRC, IBM itself produced a series of machines of this type, including the
"XT" model and the (earlier, but you're asking for memories from long ago)
"AT". It's possible that the first or an early example of the series of
products may have actually borne the "PC" designation, but the term soon
passed into the more generic usage. I can barely recall my first desktop,
1985 or so, an NCR with 2 5.25" floppies combined with the CPU and the
Monitor, all in single heavy package.

Ok, so you were a later starter. I guess that's not your fault.

Maybe he was 6 in 1985.

Maybe, but I was in my 30s, had built my own computer, and then moved up
through the varieties of British mini-computers using binary and the
various Basic programming languages.
The IBM PC was an interim product that was only on the market for a
short time _before_ the XT. Judging by Wikipedia it has been totally
forgotten by those who were 6 or younger in 1985.
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

I'm sure no-one cares that you have your own weird and non-standard
measurements, just give them unique names and stop pretending that they
are proper imperial measures.

This is interesting, coming from a person in a country without a
currency called "dollar" until 1967. Since the Kiwi dollar is worth less
than a US dollar, do you think NZ is short changing people?

You're surely not mistaking the NZ Dollar for the US dollar??? Ours has
just one line through it ($)
Five years ago our dollar was worth US 49c, now it's US78-80c. I guess
by the end of the year they will be equal.

I knew you would make a comment about the USD recent decline in value.

How is 'the last five years' a recent decline???

However, the NZD was once worth 1.28 USD, so I guess the NZD is just now
starting to recover.

That was back when our dollar was tied to the UK Pound.

Forget the damn sybol.

You call it a dollar, we call it a dollar.

I said at the time it was a stupid name to attach to our currency -
there were a whole raft of names suggested but the logic went that we
could buy standard typewriters without the need for a custom character.
It's a problem associated with being a small country.

This is in response to your complaints about the US gallon being
different than a NZ gallon and trying to short-change people due to the
smaller amount.

There isn't a 'gallon' character on typewriters - you are shortchanging
deliberately.

Old January 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

You're surely not mistaking the NZ Dollar for the US dollar??? Ours has
just one line through it ($)

As does the US$.

Unless you use a font that has two lines.

I'm typing using a font with one line - you yanks are reading something
that isn't there.

I haven't written two slashes through it in many years.
My US English keyboard only has this symbol for dollar: $
It certainly looks like there is only one line down the middle.

Well that does show that you yanks can fall into line with the rest of
the world when you really try - or is that when you get lazy?
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

TMOliver wrote:

"Greg Procter" wrote in message
"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:
TMOliver wrote:

[...]

I was around data processing long before terms like "mini-computer" or
"personal computer" came into use. Prior to 1980 or so, it was main frames
or nothing.

Not quite nothing - I built my first computer from a circuit published
in Electronics Australia 1978-79.

Akshulee, my first "computer" was a Mk37 GFCS, already ancient, in 1962,
since the sextant I used on the Bridge was not complicated by
computerization, still relying upon the carefully crafted tables in the
_Nautical Almanac_, the boon companion of celestial navigators everywhere.
I suppose one could have called the DRT a "computer, electro-mechanical".
Come 1967, a couple of years back from the Navy, I was shanghaied into
learning to program my employer's new main frame, a best forgotten NCR 315,
already obsolete when it arrived compared to the new IBM 360s,

I remember those - first came into contact with one in the late 1960s.
('came in contact' in as much as I dated a data input operator)

NCR's
programming language, now lost runes, was called "NEAT", based somewhat on
the concept of "Plain English" commands. The first semi-portable "desktop"
I recall was an, Osborn, IIRC, and we had given our oldest daughter, then 12
or so, one of the TI "plug'n plays" which used a home TV as a monitor.

Yup, I had one of those - about the size of a suitcase or 'portable
sewing machine' and twice as heavy. A screen about 4" across.

Groggy must be barely out of puberty which reputedly last longer in the
Antipodes.

How could puberty out last your yank example of a complete lifetime?

It must be the upside down aspects of life, clinging to the orb
with sucker-soled bootees. His rank adolescence is well reflected in the
naiveté of his perspective and the narrow spectrum of his intellect.

In measuring things, Grog, my first Transatlantic flight was in 1959, back
when I was a college student and the engines "turned instead of burned".

My first flight was about then : Vickers Viscount after a pre-puberty
holiday with friends.

had to wait a few years for my first Transpacific flight, returning from a
neighborhood I just as soon would have avoided visiting.

Yeah, I've always been glad to escape the oppression of the US too!
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

:
:My first flight was about then : Vickers Viscount after a pre-puberty
:holiday with friends.

Beat ya both. 1957. Miami to LaGuardia to St John NB and return
flight. I was 4 so I got the silver wings, stewardess cap, the
cockpit tour, etc. I've loved flying ever since.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

wrote:

: In measuring things, Grog, my first Transatlantic flight was in 1959, back
: when I was a college student and the engines "turned instead of burned".
:
:My first flight was about then : Vickers Viscount after a pre-puberty
:holiday with friends.

Beat ya both. 1957. Miami to LaGuardia to St John NB and return
flight. I was 4 so I got the silver wings, stewardess cap, the
cockpit tour, etc. I've loved flying ever since.

I got a window seat!
=8^)