Growth of Cruise Industry

Old June 29th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Benjamin Smith

Default Growth of Cruise Industry

Anyone else turned off by the growth of the cruise industry? I was
quite excited by the newbuilds and growth of the industry in the mid
to late 1990s, but I'm not into most of the newbuilds, since around
the turn of the century. I'm not into the figures about the growing
industry, the oversaturation of ships at ports, the tacky tourist
feel that's becoming part of Alaska's ports. I feel that a once
special vacation has turned not only ordinary, but a bit tacky.

I'm not trying to be contrarian, I just believe that often too much of
a good thing is not a good thing.

"No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded." ---Yogi Berra

Ben S.
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Howie

Benjamin Smith wrote:

Anyone else turned off by the growth of the cruise industry? I was
quite excited by the newbuilds and growth of the industry in the mid
to late 1990s, but I'm not into most of the newbuilds, since around
the turn of the century. I'm not into the figures about the growing
industry, the oversaturation of ships at ports, the tacky tourist
feel that's becoming part of Alaska's ports. I feel that a once
special vacation has turned not only ordinary, but a bit tacky.

I'm not trying to be contrarian, I just believe that often too much of
a good thing is not a good thing.

What turns me off is not the growth, per se, but the "sameness" of the
experience from line to line and ship to ship.

Howie

Old June 29th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Cruise Crazy

Hi Ben,
Cruises aren't the only industry suffering from 'Too Much'. Lots of
exclusive resorts have gone the same way. Restaurants, too. Once a good
thing becomes affordable for many, the industry will cater to the many.
It's inevitable. You need not feel like a snob. Your taste just doesn't
match up with the masses. I also think society as a whole has changed a
great deal. I am 76 and have seen manners change drastically since I was
a youngster. Casual is the word of the day. In dress, speech and
manners. I don't know how old you are, but probably old enough to
rmember a more polite society.

I enjoy the good changes and ignore those I don't like as much as
possible.

~~DORIS~~ call me Pollyanna

Old June 29th, 2004, 09:22 PM
HDawson228

Benjamin. Alot of truth to what you say.
I think Celebrity's Xpeditions is a way to counter what you say some. New and
interesting ports and a growing problem as so many of us have been there and
done that. A bright spot is Carnival going to Progreso, Mx affording an
opportunity to visit Merida which is so different and refreshing than the
overtouristed islands. Faster proplusion is another aid in visiting new ports.
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:48 PM
RTCReferee

(HDawson228) wrote:

Faster proplusion is another aid in visiting new ports.

Yes, faster ships are definitely better, IF the captain doesn't slow down to
save fuel.
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:42 PM
kuki

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
om...
Anyone else turned off by the growth of the cruise industry? I was
quite excited by the newbuilds and growth of the industry in the mid
to late 1990s, but I'm not into most of the newbuilds, since around
the turn of the century. I'm not into the figures about the growing
industry, the oversaturation of ships at ports, the tacky tourist
feel that's becoming part of Alaska's ports. I feel that a once
special vacation has turned not only ordinary, but a bit tacky.

In many ways, the "evolution" of the cruise industry isn't really far off
what's happened to North American and even world industry in general. Scale
of economics has had companies expanding through purchases, mergers,
takeovers etc. in an attempt to have the cost and expertise of their
corporate infrastructure spread over larger income streams. As we've seen
the last few years, as the practice has gained momentum, sometimes this
works, other times it fails miserably. But it is presently the "in vogue"
business plan.

I do think the cruise industry is in relatively good shape, partially
because of this business plan. Now, it seems to me, there really is a ship
out there for everyone.

Families are flocking to RCI's Voyager Class ships for the rock climbing
walls and ice skating rinks. NCL's new direction and new ships are putting
them back in the mainstream cruise race. Princess, with it's latest Diamond
and Sapphire ships is drawing closer to the NCL model with smaller dining
rooms, but greater choices with various themes.

The Luxury lines (SilverSeas, Seabourn, Radisson Seven Seas, Cyrstal) are
bringing their price levels down in an attempt to attract those (possibly
like you) who are no longer happy on the mass market lines, and who are
willing to go up to a new price point to find the cruise experience they're
looking for.

Take the value of the $ you were paying for a cruise in the late 80s and
early 90s, convert it to today's dollar; add in the $ value of the cost of
gratuities, alcohol etc which are included in the luxury line cost... add
perhaps $300 - 500 /person... and you can sail on one of the luxury lines,
from 150 - 700 passengers, top quality food & service, and ports many of the
large ships can't visit.

If you don't like what's happened to the cruise lines you used to enjoy,
that's understandable... but maybe that simply means it's time to try some
lines you may not have considered sailing before.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
http://cruisemates.com
Internet Cruise Magazine
Fun and Friendship= http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/CMcruise

Old June 30th, 2004, 01:37 AM
StephenM

Kuki,

I think you are right on the mark with this assessment. The major cruise
lines are all competing at a lower cost level (with more push for on-board
revenue).

However, SilverSeas, Seabourn, Radisson Seven Seas, Cyrstal are all
available at about the same real cost as my first Princess cruise in the
1980's.

Stephen

Old June 30th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Surfer E2468

DORIS:
We are also 76 going on 77,and you are so right,things really have
changed,in cruising not for the better,and the younger generation has no
respect for themselves,or their elders,not all but a larger % of them.
Surfer e2468

Old June 30th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Surfer E2468

Have tried them all,except the very,very expensive ones,and they are all
alike catering to the younger generation with the credit cards