Ryanair ripoff

Old January 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_4_]

Default Ryanair ripoff

After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60€, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

T.
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Tom P wrote:

After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60¤, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

Why wouldn't it be? They can surely charge what they want, and the fee
is per passenger, not per transaction. I always figure in the card cost
(maestro is a bit cheaper than credit, isn't it?) as part of the cost of
the flight.

You would have been shown the credit card fee before completing the
transaction.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_4_]

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
Tom P wrote:

After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60€, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

Why wouldn't it be? They can surely charge what they want, and the fee
is per passenger, not per transaction.

How can a cc fee be per passenger? It is one transaction.

I always figure in the card cost
(maestro is a bit cheaper than credit, isn't it?) as part of the cost of
the flight.

You would have been shown the credit card fee before completing the
transaction.

It is not shown until the email confirmation arrives. I guess I should
have read this to know what to expect-
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm

T.
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tom P wrote:

After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60¤, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

Why wouldn't it be? They can surely charge what they want, and the fee
is per passenger, not per transaction.

How can a cc fee be per passenger?

To make more money?

It is one transaction.

They can charge what they want.

I always figure in the card cost
(maestro is a bit cheaper than credit, isn't it?) as part of the cost of
the flight.

You would have been shown the credit card fee before completing the
transaction.

It is not shown until the email confirmation arrives.

Having booked dozens of times with them, this is certainly not the case.
Are you _absolutely_ sure? If what you say is true, then all I can say
is that you made a transaction for which you were overcharged. I suggest
you contact your local authorities to complain- more productive than
complaining here. People refer to 'hidden' charges- that is somewhat
euphemistic- they are hidden (whenever possible) in the headline fares,
but I've never _not_ known exactly what I'd be charged at the point of
card purchase with Ryanair or any budget airline.

I guess I should
have read this to know what to expect-
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm

Ryanair's charging policies are notorious, and you could have read about
them here over recent years...

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tom P wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

[]
You would have been shown the credit card fee before completing the
transaction.

It is not shown until the email confirmation arrives. I guess I should
have read this to know what to expect-

I knew what to expect, and this post reminded me I need to go to a
concert in Bonn in March. Just booked a flight to an airport allegedly
near Dusseldorf (actually, an hour's ride on bus)- total cost of ticket
before charge, as advertised, £10 each way, and then £4.75 each way for
the card charge. Yes, that's expensive, yes, £20 is cheap- I put them
both together in my mind, and get just under £30 for a trip booked under
two months in advance. I think that's a very good deal, but it is
limited to EU/EEA nationals travelling with no check-in luggage. I was
entirely aware of the card charge prior to confirming.

Can anyone else report if they didn't find out the card cost until
_after_ they had completed the transaction?

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:39:28 +0000, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Tom P wrote:

[]
I guess I should
have read this to know what to expect-
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm

Ryanair's charging policies are notorious, and you could have read about
them here over recent years...

Doesn't the EU say that the total charge has to be shown?

The total charge _is_ shown. The other poster is claiming otherwise.
With the advertising, I notice they say _from_ £10. This is technically
true, if you are 0.01% of the population who uses visa electron. At
least on the UK portal of their site, "passenger fees" is quite easy to
find on the left hand side, and when you click on it-

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Tom P wrote:

[...]

They do if they are unavoidable

FR get around this by accepting a card that almost no-one has, for free

tim

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:08:35 +0000, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Tom P wrote:

[...]

It's hidden and called a handling fee

Not when you're booking the ticket- that is what the OP has claimed. It
is clear before you buy the ticket. I just did it!

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:22:25 +0000, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:39:28 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Tom P wrote:

[]
I guess I should
have read this to know what to expect-
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm

Ryanair's charging policies are notorious, and you could have read about
them here over recent years...

Doesn't the EU say that the total charge has to be shown?

The total charge _is_ shown. The other poster is claiming otherwise.

I did wonder if what you see depends on where you are when you make a booking.

I wondered if the OP was paying attention. I can't imagine Germany (for
example) allows charges to be added that you're not aware of any more
than the UK does.

With the advertising, I notice they say _from_ £10. This is technically
true, if you are 0.01% of the population who uses visa electron. At
least on the UK portal of their site, "passenger fees" is quite easy to
find on the left hand side, and when you click on it-

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES

I don't know about it being quite easy

I wouldn't say it was difficult.

but a FAQ isn't the correct place to
specify a fee but it is a very good pace to hide a fee.

All charges are supposed to be up front.

But as Tim pointed out, there's an easy way around that. Similarly,
you'll be forced to pay more if you're not an EU/EEA citizen. SImilarly,
the charge will depend on whether or not you check-in luggage, and all
the airlines that do so get around that by advertising the 'no luggage'
price.

Their website reminds me of an Advent calendar.

I don't disagree with that, but the question here in my mind at any rate
is not about Ryanair's methods of hiding fees, but whether or not it was
possible to complete a transaction without knowing exactly what you were
paying. I don't think that would be legal.

Old January 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Tom P" kirjoitti
After booking a flight for 3 adults for a total of 201.60€, the email
confirmation arrived:

PAYMENT DETAILS

********59.94 EUR Total Fare

*******141.66 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********30.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

*******231.60 EUR Total Paid

30 Euros Passenger fee? For using a credit card? Is this still legal?

T.

You totally paid almost four times the total fare. I am totally puzzled.