Yellowstone crowds?

Old March 20th, 2004, 08:51 PM
MadHatter

Default Yellowstone crowds?

"Bowzah" wrote in message news:5qq6c.36307$J05.227666@attbi_s01...
I've googled, and read a bit about the summer crowds at Yellowstone, but
does anybodyhave any first-hand experience? Is it THAT bad? Or are the
crowds confined to a few busy areas?

I was there in early June of 2001 and was pleasantly surprised. I had
figured that with school out the place would be overrun with tourists.
It was much less crowded than I had expected. It was also very cold
and rainy and the next day it snowed.

I also visited late in the summer when I was a teenager. It was more
crowded at that time of year, but there were more wildflowers. Also,
being warmer and less windy, there was less steam and thus it was
easier to see the thermal features. Later in the summer the mud in
the paint pots is thicker and more interesting as well.

Yes it might end up being crowded, but it's worth it. I only visited
the areas just off the main roads where the majority of the people
were. If you have more time, you'd do well to hike some trails and
get away from the crowds.
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:21 PM
Canada Jane

My husband and I were at Yellowstone last year during the first week of
July and it was surprisingly crowd free. Everywhere we went we were
either on our own or only a dozen or so others in the area. It was
great.

When we stoped at Old Faithfull, we were actually surprised at
the numbers of people gathering - probably 200 as we had been totally
unaware that this number of people were actually in the park with us!

It is true that if anyone spots a bear or similar animal the cars
stop, not necessarily pulling over and this can delay you, but only for
a few minutes. Besides which, normally you want to see what they are
seeing, so you end up being part of the delay too!

Enjoy, it's a superb
place.
Jane

Old March 21st, 2004, 04:51 PM
Bill Pittman

In article p%s6c.37954$KO3.95953@attbi_s02, "Bowzah"
wrote:

I'd read about traffic jams for miles, and impassable roads. I was wondering
if these stories were true, and if so if they were confined to the most
popular areas.

In August 2002 the crowds weren't bad at all. The only thing close to
"impassable roads" was between Madison and Norris on the west side of
the park, where the road was being reconstructed essentially from
scratch. That job is probably finished by now, but it was part of a
(badly needed) reconstruction of all the roads in the park and some
other area is probably affected this summer.

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated