Yellowstone crowds?

Old March 18th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Bowzah

Default Yellowstone crowds?

I've googled, and read a bit about the summer crowds at Yellowstone, but
does anybodyhave any first-hand experience? Is it THAT bad? Or are the
crowds confined to a few busy areas?

Old March 18th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Peter L

"Bowzah" wrote in message
I've googled, and read a bit about the summer crowds at Yellowstone, but
does anybodyhave any first-hand experience? Is it THAT bad? Or are the
crowds confined to a few busy areas?

What do you mean by "that" bad? Crowds are confined to a few busy areas.
Otherwise they wouldn't be crowds and the area wouldn't be busy, would it?
Yes if you hike outside of the main attractions of the park you'd be all by
yourself, dancing with wolves.

Old March 18th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article 5qq6c.36307$J05.227666@attbi_s01, "Bowzah"
wrote:

I've googled, and read a bit about the summer crowds at Yellowstone, but
does anybodyhave any first-hand experience? Is it THAT bad? Or are the
crowds confined to a few busy areas?

Well, cars may slow down or stop to see wildlife off the side of the
road. Lots of cars around the geysers, etc.

Not to bad if you are on a bike and can squeeze through.
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Walt Tucker

Bowzah wrote:

I've googled, and read a bit about the summer crowds at Yellowstone, but
does anybodyhave any first-hand experience? Is it THAT bad? Or are the
crowds confined to a few busy areas?

It depends what you mean by "crowds" and what you mean by "that bad".
You'll see the largest parking lots and the most people in the Old
Faithful area of the park -- at mid-day, maybe 2000 cars and 5,000 to
10,000 people in an area encompassing several hundred acres. Elsewhere,
as you drive the main loops of the park, you'll usually find yourself
where there are maybe a half dozen to 40 or 50 cars in the various
pull-outs/parking lots and anywhere from a handful to a few hundred
other people. Yeah, there are other people, but not what I would call
oppressive. If you hike up the right trailhead more than a half mile
away from the highway or parking lot, you could easily find yourself alone.

Car campgrounds range from small to ones with ones with several hundred
sites. Reserve ahead, as it is nigh impossible to just show up and find
a camping spot. However, if you are hiking overnight into the back
country, different story.

As you drive around the park, you might encounter the occasional traffic
back up, usually caused by wildlife on or near the road. Realize it
happens, and roll with it. We were there late July las summer and while
headed back to camp one evening we were stuck in a line of about 100
cars that had to wait about 40 minutes for a herd of about 1000 Buffalo
to meander across the road. Being a beautiful summer evening, we were
not inconvenienced in the least. It was a very nice time to watch the
wildlife, the sun reflecting on the hills, and the Yellowstone river
rolling by in the valley. That was the only real traffic snarl we
encountered in the four days we were there. Anything else was 10
minutes delay or less.

Yellowstone is a very beautiful place. Enjoy.

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Bowzah

I'd read about traffic jams for miles, and impassable roads. I was wondering
if these stories were true, and if so if they were confined to the most
popular areas.

Old March 19th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Stefan Patric

On Thursday 18 March 2004 03:38 pm, Bowzah wrote:

I've googled, and read a bit about the summer crowds at Yellowstone,
but does anybodyhave any first-hand experience? Is it THAT bad? Or are
the crowds confined to a few busy areas?

The two times I've been there -- first or second week of June and second
week of September -- I basically had the park to myself or, at least,
it seemed that way. There were people, but not crowds. No traffic
jams. Few cars on the roads. Plenty of parking. Immediate seating at
the restaurants, which weren't even half full.

And since you're going to Yellowstone, take the time the visit Grand
Teton Park just south of there and the town of Jackson Hole, WY. I
liked it much better than Yellowstone.

--
Stefan Patric

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Bowzah

Unfortunately, the only week I have free is the last week in July. I've got
to either resign myself to the crowds or not go.

Old March 19th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Stefan Patric

On Friday 19 March 2004 06:43 am, Bowzah wrote:

Unfortunately, the only week I have free is the last week in July.
I've got to either resign myself to the crowds or not go.

Then, I guess, you're going to have to work on your
"getting-along-with-lots-of-people" skills. ;-)