1800 phone numbers????

Old March 19th, 2004, 09:46 PM
TCS

Default 1800 phone numbers????

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:47:39 GMT, Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article
,
TCS wrote:

Another thing to watch out for is the likes of "1-800-collect" I think
800-collect is with AT&T but they are as bad as any of the pure scam artists.

MCi Worldcom actually.

800 CALLATT is AT&T's

Now that I think about it, it was 800-callatt that screwed me w/ the $10 fees.
(It's been a year since that charge so I was a little hazy)

They charge nearly $10/call in addition to minutes used! Best to use a phone
card -- and read the fine print. Many charge $10/month or more just for the
privilege of being activated; make one call and try to use it a few months
later and you'll discover that all your minutes have evaporated.

Old March 19th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article
,

TCS wrote:

Another thing to watch out for is the likes of "1-800-collect" I think
800-collect is with AT&T but they are as bad as any of the pure scam
artists.

MCi Worldcom actually.

800 CALLATT is AT&T's

Now that I think about it, it was 800-callatt that screwed me w/ the $10
fees.
(It's been a year since that charge so I was a little hazy)

yeah, they have been doing it in the past few years. used to be very
reasonable. That's why I don;t use my AT&T Visa to make calls anymore.
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Roo wrote in article
:

Sounds feasible, but how do you set up the stored numbers
on your directory in your cell phone, with or without the one,
as not sure where you will be calling from, in or out of the area.

"Brian K" wrote in message
hlink.net...
This is true for any call you place outside your area to another area
code. Example: You are staying at a hotel in say the 201 area. To dial
any number that is in that area, simply dial ex. 233-1090. To dial a
restaurant that is in area 732 you would dial ex. 1-732-454-9981. Some
toll free numbers are 1-800, 1-888. Beware of 1-900 that is usually a
charge by minute call.

IMO the preferred way for a cell phone is to store the entire 10-digit
number, like 1-888-555-1212. The phone will ignore the extraneous
"1-888"on local calls, and will already have that part where it's
needed.

Especially with the mobility of cell phones this is a simpler solution
than trying to remember when you need the include 1+area code.
--
Don

Old March 20th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Roo" wrote:

Hi,
1800 are toll free, are 800 numbers the same. Any other numbers
that are free for hotel/motel and the likes. In the L.A. area what
is the number for directory enquires (looking for numbers) and is
it toll free.

In any area of the United States, you can dial 1-800-555-1212 for
directory assistance. Calls to directory assistance from a hotel phone
will probably be chargable. Also do not assume that all hotels allow
toll free numbers to be called from in-room phones. Each hotel room has
a little card next to the phone that explains what it costs to use the
phone. Read the card and contact the hotel's front desk before you make
any calls if you are unclear about the way the hotel charges for
telephone usage.
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Roo" wrote:

Sounds feasible, but how do you set up the stored numbers
on your directory in your cell phone, with or without the one,
as not sure where you will be calling from, in or out of the area.

Every hotel room in which I have ever stayed has a telephone directory
sitting near the phone. Just read the first few pages as far as dialing
information is concerned, or ask at the hotel's front desk.
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Shawn Hearn wrote:

In any area of the United States, you can dial 1-800-555-1212 for
directory assistance. Calls to directory assistance from a hotel phone

Isn't that for toll-free numbers only? At times, it isn't helpful
giving you the right company but wrong department/division.
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Mark Brader

Brian Wasson writes:
There are also other toll-free phone area codes besides 800, added
because the 800 area code numbers were depleting quickly. 866 and 877
also denote toll-free numbers. In any instance, you must dial a "1"
before them.

Right.

In print you will see these numbers listed as both 1-800
or simply 800, with the understanding being that you must dial the
"1," which is the USA access code for long distance

Right.

(actually, it's 01, but you drop the zero).

Wrong. There are two access codes for long distance* in the US and
Canada, 1 for normal billing, 0 for alternate billing. You use either
one, whichever is appropriate. For a toll-free number, that would be
normal billing, so you always dial 1-800.

* To be more precise, the access code indicates that an area code
is being dialed, and in *some* locations, *also* that the call is
long-distance, i.e. chargeable.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "To the vector go the spoils."