No Destination

Old December 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default No Destination

Lets say I had $500 for a round trip to wherever, and I didn't care
where that wherever was, just that I could find a list of places that
wherever could conceivably be. Is there any website out there that
could find me a wherever for a specific time or a wherever for
whenever? If this is too straightforward I can obfuscate if need
be...

Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote in message
Lets say I had $500 for a round trip to wherever, and I didn't care
where that wherever was, just that I could find a list of places that
wherever could conceivably be. Is there any website out there that
could find me a wherever for a specific time or a wherever for
whenever? If this is too straightforward I can obfuscate if need
be...

Thanks!

I would suggest southwest.com. I believe you can go anywhere they fly for
under $500.00. or just send me the 500, and I'll send you a list of
programs on the travel channel. whatever.

Old December 6th, 2008, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 16:08:06 -0600, "Jim Davis"
wrote:

I would suggest southwest.com. I believe you can go anywhere they fly for
under $500.00.

Not necessarily. Much depends on when. If "Jim" wants to go tomorrow,
that might not be true. I just randomly entered BWI to Amarillo
leaving on the 7th and returning the 10th and the lowest fare was
$824.
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote:

I would suggest southwest.com. I believe you can go anywhere they fly for
under $500.00.

Not necessarily. Much depends on when. If "Jim" wants to go tomorrow,
that might not be true. I just randomly entered BWI to Amarillo
leaving on the 7th and returning the 10th and the lowest fare was
$824.

That seems pretty steep! Yesterday, I flew one way from LAX to Chicago for
$139 on a last minute ticket. I checked another from Manchester, NH to LAX
(Cross country) for about $400. Maybe they're more if you don't cover the
weekend. I entered the return flight over 7 days after the original flight.
Oh-well, either way it looks best for him just to give me the $500.

Old December 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 21:52:39 -0600, "Jim Davis"
wrote:

That seems pretty steep! Yesterday, I flew one way from LAX to Chicago for
$139 on a last minute ticket. I checked another from Manchester, NH to LAX
(Cross country) for about $400. Maybe they're more if you don't cover the
weekend. I entered the return flight over 7 days after the original flight.
Oh-well, either way it looks best for him just to give me the $500.

It is pretty steep. My point was that air fares can be really erratic.
There can be some real bargains and some very expensive flights. We
are going from BWI to FLL in the middle of Feb. and booked flights and
a car rental quite a while ago. It was expensive then and has only
gone up. We are on Southwest so we could try to get a voucher if it
went down but it hasn't. The car rentals haven't gone down either.

Old December 7th, 2008, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote:

That seems pretty steep! Yesterday, I flew one way from LAX to Chicago
for
$139 on a last minute ticket. I checked another from Manchester, NH to
LAX
(Cross country) for about $400. Maybe they're more if you don't cover the
weekend. I entered the return flight over 7 days after the original
flight.
Oh-well, either way it looks best for him just to give me the $500.

It is pretty steep. My point was that air fares can be really erratic.
There can be some real bargains and some very expensive flights. We
are going from BWI to FLL in the middle of Feb. and booked flights and
a car rental quite a while ago. It was expensive then and has only
gone up. We are on Southwest so we could try to get a voucher if it
went down but it hasn't. The car rentals haven't gone down either.

Let me bend over so you can kick my ass. DUH!!!! I was looking at one ways
and not round trips. I *always* travel on one ways, and the RT never
entered my mind at the time. As far as a car goes, I have no idea right
now. My company gets a considerable discount and I have so many rentals
under my belt, that I get free double upgrades. For me, rental cars are a
dime a dozen.

Old December 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TEP

There are a couple of ways to do a search by price. Not knowing your
departure airport and whether you are interested in domestic and/or
international destinations, I will describe the processes and you can carry
them out.

First, go to
http://search.travel.yahoo.com/bin/s...intl=us&dc=bwi. The
will list the best fares from BWI. For the same for any other airport,
replace bwi in the URL with the appropriate 3 letter code. Any fare that
you see over $500 is a potential destination of interest.

The second approach is to go to kayak.com and select "buzz". It asks you to
select a breakpoint fare. Unfortunately, it's the maximum and not the
minimum fare. But, insert $400 (say) as a maximum and you will get all the
destinations on a map that one can fly to at this or some lower fare. Then
do it again for maximum fares of $500. By extrapolation, any destination
beyond those showing up at $400 will come close to meeting your
requirements.