FLL- Commissioners Make Decision On Runway Expansion

Old December 10th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Dean S. Lautermilch©²ºº³

Default FLL- Commissioners Make Decision On Runway Expansion

http://www.click10.com/news/2695122/detail.html

Commissioners Make Decision On Runway Expansion
POSTED: 7:25 AM EST December 10, 2003
UPDATED: 9:54 AM EST December 10, 2003

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- After five hours of debate, Broward County
commissioners reached a late-night decision to expand the south runway at
the Fort Lauderdale Hollywood Airport. In a 7 to 2 vote, commissioners
decided to extend it, but a thousand feet less than the original plan. The
county says it will also explore a plan to build a second runway on the
north side. Residents in Dania Beach are upset. They feel their homes will
be condemned with the expanded runway. If that happens, homeowners hope they
will get money to rebuild. "The big benefit tonight is we're going to figure
out how much it costs, and then we're going to ask the airlines, and if the
airlines don't want pay, then we're not going to do it," said resident
Brenda Scalifour. Environmentalists are also unhappy with the plan. Rob
Terrell said he believes the expansion could hurt more than 2,000 acres of
wetlands near the airport. The commission said it would look at ways to
reduce noise pollution that would likely accompany expansion.

Old December 10th, 2003, 08:39 PM
None

....and the lawsuits to stop the county are already in the works. Local news
reports that a recall effort is already in the plan to replace all of the
commissioners if they don't lament.