Vancouver Cruise Traffic Declines in 2003!

Old October 20th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Vancouver Cruise Traffic Declines in 2003!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from the Vancouver Port Authority and
thought it would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news'
postings, they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Vancouver cruise traffic declines in 2003

VPA says competitiveness is key

VANCOUVER, Oct. 20
The Vancouver-Alaska cruise sector posted its
first decline in 21 years in the 2003 season, the Vancouver Port
Authority
(VPA) announced today.
Revenue passengers hosted by the Port of Vancouver declined 15 per
cent
this year (from 1,125,252 to 953,376), while total sailings declined
10 per
cent (from 342 to 307). Each cruise ship sailing from Vancouver
generates
about $1.5 million in economic output, meaning losses for the regional
and
provincial economy exceeded $50 million this year.
"The reality is the market for cruises to Alaska continues to
grow, but
Vancouver's once-dominant share of that market is beginning to erode,"
said
Captain Gordon Houston, VPA President & Chief Executive Officer.
Houston said
the decline in Vancouver's cruise business is related to a number of
factors,
including the loss of 3 and 4-night Pacific Northwest cruises, the
impact of
world events on travel and tourism, and the Port of Seattle's ability
attract cruise ships by opening new facilities.
Houston said several initiatives are underway to diversify and
expand the
Port of Vancouver's cruise ship business in the future. He noted
Cruise BC, a
collaborative effort of the VPA and four other port authorities and
coastal
communities in B.C., is actively working to develop new cruise markets
and
cruise products while enhancing the employment that cruise ships
generate
throughout the province.
"Ultimately, it's about being competitive," Houston said. "We
can't
afford to stand still and rest on our laurels in British Columbia. We
must
continue to develop new cruise capacity, new itineraries and new
experiences
to develop and diversify our sector."
Houston added that the competitiveness issues facing B.C.'s cruise
sector
are also challenging the Port of Vancouver's valuable bulk cargo and
container
businesses.
"If we can't maintain and enhance our competitive position versus
rival
ports on the west coast of the United States, the Port of Vancouver
will
simply not win its share of forecasted business growth over the coming
15 years," he said. "In fact, if we can't remain competitive, we stand
to lose
the business we already have."
Houston called on all levels of government in Canada to support
the
competitiveness of the country's national ports. As Canada's largest
port, the
Port of Vancouver facilitates $29 billion of trade each year with 90
trading
economies around the globe.
"In order for the Port of Vancouver to grow, to support the needs
of
Canadian business in the future and to increase our share of the
burgeoning
trade between Asia and North America, we need the support of our
governments,"
Houston said. "Whether it's changes to the Canada Marine Act,
transportation
infrastructure, access to capital, security or taxation, we must all
work
together to ensure that our ports remain competitive."
Houston added that the Port of Vancouver has the potential to
generate
more than 50,000 direct and indirect jobs by 2020 if its competitive
issues
can be addressed.

The Port of Vancouver is homeport to the Vancouver-Alaska cruise
with two
modern cruise ship terminals: Canada Place, including a recently added
third
berth, and Ballantyne Pier, with two berths. Vancouver's cruise
business
directly generates $177 million in wages, $228 million in GDP and $508
million
in economic output.

Old October 21st, 2003, 12:31 AM
Phil

Mike:

It is my understanding it comes down to is the number of flights the US Airlines
are permitted under the Bilateral Air Agreement between the US and Canada. The
lesser number of flights causes the price to go up.

Now having said that my sister works here in Vancouver for one of the major US
airlines and she keeps telling me how they could use a 757 vs a Airbus on
flights on the weekends due to over booking. In one case last summer they over
booked some flights by up to 50%. This poses a problem because all US Airlines
are in the same boat during cruise season. Head Office will switch do a
equipment change sometimes but other times no way.

In fact what is interesting is I am leaving tomorrow for a cruise and flying out
of Seattle to Miami due to cost. I paid $177 return Seattle - Miami. Now the
kicker is if I booked exactly the SAME flights in Canada using the Airline
Internet Booking engine they were going to charge me $100 more for this
privilege. I called Customer Service and they said that is too bad so sad. They
then went on to tell me because they flew better Aircraft than their
competition. Wrong answer to tell a pilot. I booked through Expedia and got the
original price.

I could go on and tell you horror stories of booking flights in Canada and the
difference in cost.

Phil in Vancouver
Seacruise

--
Seacruise http://www.seacruisechat.com
Canal Cam Schedule http://www.seacruisechat.com/panamacanal/

English you say?
1) They were too close to the door to close it.
2) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.