Is this considered an OPEN-JAW?

Old February 7th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Michael Graham

Default Is this considered an OPEN-JAW?

Hi all

Are the following routings considered an open-jaw?

CPR-ANC/SEA-CPR
CPR-ANC/YVR-CPR

Also is there any quick way to know if something is an open-jaw?

Thanks in advance
M. Graham
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:15 AM
mrraveltay

Michael Graham wrote:

Hi all

Are the following routings considered an open-jaw?

CPR-ANC/SEA-CPR
CPR-ANC/YVR-CPR

Also is there any quick way to know if something is an open-jaw?

Generally flying into one city and out of another, and having the same
starting and ending points. In your case, both of these appear to be.

Old February 7th, 2004, 05:40 AM
MS

"mrraveltay" wrote in message
m...

Michael Graham wrote:

Hi all

Are the following routings considered an open-jaw?

CPR-ANC/SEA-CPR
CPR-ANC/YVR-CPR

Also is there any quick way to know if something is an open-jaw?

Generally flying into one city and out of another, and having the same
starting and ending points. In your case, both of these appear to be.

I think that to be ticketed as an open jaw, rather than two singles, the
distance between the two destinations (ANC/SEAor YVR) must be less than the
distance between the starting point (CPR) and the destinations (I assume its
measured to the closer destination). To determine the distances involved
try http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milemarker/

Martin

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:20 AM
John R. Levine

CPR-ANC/SEA-CPR
CPR-ANC/YVR-CPR

Also is there any quick way to know if something is an open-jaw?

Generally flying into one city and out of another, and having the same
starting and ending points. In your case, both of these appear to be.

I was under the impression that you draw a triangle with the three
cities at the corners, and if the flight you don't want to take is
the shortest side of the triangle, it's an open jaw.

I doubt that any airline would let you price, say, DFW-ORD/ORD-JFK or
ORD-DFW/JFK-ORD as an open jaw because it's considerably farther from
New York to Dallas than from Chicago to Dallas or Chicago to New York.

Looks like you're OK. My pocket guide doesn't have distances from
Casper, but DEN-SEA is 1022 miles, SEA-ANC is 1443, and DEN-ANC is
over 2000. YVR should be OK, too, although there may be extra rules
about open jaws where one leg is domestic and the other is
international.

Simple way to find out: visit Expedia and Orbitz and ask them to price
a few flights.

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:24 AM
mrraveltay

Michael Graham wrote:

Hi all

Are the following routings considered an open-jaw?

CPR-ANC/SEA-CPR
CPR-ANC/YVR-CPR

Also is there any quick way to know if something is an open-jaw?

Generally flying into one city and out of another, and having the same
starting and ending points. In your case, both of these appear to be.

I think that to be ticketed as an open jaw, rather than two singles, the
distance between the two destinations (ANC/SEAor YVR) must be less than the
distance between the starting point (CPR) and the destinations (I assume its
measured to the closer destination). To determine the distances involved
try http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milemarker/

CPR-ANC 2189
CPR-SEA 831
CPR-YVR 908
ANC-SEA 1440
ANC-YVR 1330

So, if the restricted is as described, without exception, then due to
shorter distances from CPR to SEA and YVR, then neither itinerary would
work since ANC-SEA and ANC YVR are longer than SEA-CPR and YVR-CPR

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:35 AM
nobody

Are the following routings considered an open-jaw?

CPR-ANC/SEA-CPR
CPR-ANC/YVR-CPR

CPR (42°54'29"N 106°27'52"W) ANC (61°10'28"N 149°59'47"W) 1897 nm
ANC (61°10'28"N 149°59'47"W) YVR (49°11'42"N 123°10'55"W) 1156 nm
YVR (49°11'42"N 123°10'55"W) CPR (42°54'29"N 106°27'52"W) 792 nm

The open jaw segment ANC-YVR longer than one of the two air segments, thus
your open jaw is not valid. Going via Seattle yields roughly the same numbers.

You might consider doing your open jaw between anchorage and juneau. The
distances would then be valid since the open jaw (anc-jnu) would ne smaller
than the other 2 segments.

If you are going to take a cruise, then the cruise lines may be able to give
you a deal that normal published rates couldn't.
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:08 AM
mrraveltay

nobody wrote:

Are the following routings considered an open-jaw?

CPR-ANC/SEA-CPR
CPR-ANC/YVR-CPR

CPR (42°54'29"N 106°27'52"W) ANC (61°10'28"N 149°59'47"W) 1897 nm
ANC (61°10'28"N 149°59'47"W) YVR (49°11'42"N 123°10'55"W) 1156 nm
YVR (49°11'42"N 123°10'55"W) CPR (42°54'29"N 106°27'52"W) 792 nm

The open jaw segment ANC-YVR longer than one of the two air segments, thus
your open jaw is not valid. Going via Seattle yields roughly the same numbers.

You might consider doing your open jaw between anchorage and juneau. The
distances would then be valid since the open jaw (anc-jnu) would ne smaller
than the other 2 segments.

How does open jaw between Anchorage and Juneau help him if he wants to
go from Casper to Seattle or Vancouver, and return from Anchorage to Casper?

If you are going to take a cruise, then the cruise lines may be able to give
you a deal that normal published rates couldn't.

Yes, that would be true. We couldn't beat the cruise airfare (even with
diversion) from SNA to Vancouver and Anchorage to SNA.

Old February 7th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Sorry. Even though the distance from Madrid to Lisbon is small compared
to the distance from Newark (even if you don't count the start in
Houston) the trip was booked as an open jaw. I think that if the
arrival and departure locations are significantly different it will be
an open jaw. FFM

Old February 7th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Dave Proctor

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 05:15:46 GMT, mrraveltay wrote:

Generally flying into one city and out of another, and having the same
starting and ending points. In your case, both of these appear to be.

Wrong - you can have an "Origin Open Jaw" - LAX-LHR-SFO is an example
- a "Destination Open Jaw" - LAX-LHR//CDG-LAX is an example - or a
Double Open Jaw - LAX-LHR//CDG-SFO is an example.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/