My OZ Holiday

Old August 24th, 2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Dick Adams[_2_]

Default My OZ Holiday

The plan is to depart from Baltimore on 28 Nov and
arrive in Perth on the 30th. A mate and I will then
drive from Perth to Denmark. We're then planning to
go on to Adelaide, a few towns in Victoria, and to
Canberra. Once in Canberra, another mate and I are
going to Jindabyne.

I like to visit Bartohomew Meadery in Denmark, but it
seems to be one of those "you can't get there from here"
places.

My question is how are the roads from Denmark to
Adelaide? Are there any interesting places to
visit between Denmark and Adelaide?

Is it worth going back to Perth to drive to
Adelaide?

Dick
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

Denmark to Adelaide - you can go all the way on Highway 1 - up to Norseman
where the main highway from Perth (Highway 94) joins Highway 1 and on to
Adelaide.

Places to visit on the way - frankly far more of interest than in Denmark.
Albany, a detour up to Kalgoorlie etc

I hope you aren't coming all that way to visit Denmark for its tourist
charms - it's worth 2 hours on anyone's time tops - in my opinion.

Old August 24th, 2007, 07:53 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross[_4_]

Just West of Denmark (66kms) is Walpole. Check the "Giant Tingle" trees
from the tree-top walk in the Valley of the Giants.

While in Denmark a visit to William Bay is worth while. Check out this link
http://www.bartholomewsmeadery.com.au/map.html

While in Albany take a side trip to Mount Barker and if you can fit it in
check out the Sandalwood factory near Albany.

Sandalwood oil is the basic ingredient of all perfumes. While most of it
comes from India the oil from Australia is of a higher quality.

If you can spare the time, North of Albany through Lake Grace is Hyden.
Near there (a few kms out of town) is Wave Rock and The Hippo's Yawn. Two
formations that date back 2,800 million years. (primordial rock)

From Hyden down through Lake King to Ravensthorpe then east to Esperance.
The coastline at Esperance is just about the most beautiful you'll ever see.
About 60-70 kms east of there is Cape Le Grand National Park; worth a look
if you can spare the time.

From there north to Norseman and then across the Nullarbor Plain. Cheapest
fuel across the Nullarbor used to be at Eucla Hotel/Motel just before the
border. Last time we went through (April 2003) the fuel at Bordertown (Sth
Aust) was 7 cents per litre dearer. Other roadhouses are dearer than Eucla
(e.g. Balladonia, Caiguna, Cockelbiddy and Madura) Fill up in Norseman but
don't let the lure of cheaper fuel let you risk "running dry".

In South Australia on the plain, skip the first half dozen lookouts. The
one to get the best view is about 110kms from the border. It is the first
one coming from the east.

I believe the roadhouse at Yalata is closed so don't rely on refueling
there.

From Ceduna you can take two routes. One down to Port Lincoln at the bottom
of the Eyre Peninsular or you can cut across through Ironknob to Port
Augusta. The second route is a lot shorter.

After Pt Augusta there is no longer and "remote" driving.

There is little unsealed road in that journey (if any.) There could be some
near Hyden. Otherwise it is all sealed.

Enjoy.

Ross

Old August 25th, 2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Dick Adams[_2_]

"A Mate" writes:

Denmark to Adelaide - you can go all the way on Highway 1 - up
to Norseman where the main highway from Perth (Highway 94) joins
Highway 1 and on to Adelaide.

Places to visit on the way - frankly far more of interest than
in Denmark. Albany, a detour up to Kalgoorlie etc

We are homebrewers and condescending Quality Assurance Testers
of alcoholic beverages. Are there any Meaderies, distilleries,
or breweries in Kalgoorlie - or is it, as reported, the home of
the largest flies in OZ?

I hope you aren't coming all that way to visit Denmark for
its tourist charms - it's worth 2 hours on anyone's time
tops - in my opinion.

Bartohomew Meadery is one of the best in the world! We might
spend 8 hours there!

Dick

Old August 25th, 2007, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Populares

I did go only from Perth to Denmark but anyway it was quite beautiful.
In Peth or rather Freemantle there is a small bewery called "Two Angels"
or somehing like that. It is not a home brewery but it's small. South of
Perth you have Margaret River wine region. Many vineries. Very
beautiful. There you have also very nice coast and some caves worth to
see. I would recommend Giants Cave. And boranoop forrests nice also. Few
kilometres south you have Cape Leeuvin - a place "where the oceans
meet". Lighthouse located on a south-west corner of Australia. Closer to
Denmark you have Walley of the Giants and "Tree top walk". Quite nice.
Then, closer to Albany you have "Natural bridge". Frenchmen Bay is very
nice to have a swim in the Southern Ocean. Some told me that Esperanca
area is very beautiful also, but i haven't been there.
People are very nice, nature is very nice, roads are good. You drive on
the left side...
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mark Wabster[_2_]

Dick Adams wrote:

We are homebrewers and condescending Quality Assurance Testers
of alcoholic beverages. Are there any Meaderies, distilleries,
or breweries in Kalgoorlie - or is it, as reported, the home of
the largest flies in OZ?

If you after more info in the home brewing and micro brew
world in Australia I suggest you have a look at the
definitive website on the topic,
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com
where you will find, and can ask more about, all the brewing
competitions, microbrew sites and more,

Cheerz Wab
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

From Ceduna you can take two routes. One down to Port Lincoln at the
bottom of the Eyre Peninsular or you can cut across through Ironknob to
Port Augusta. The second route is a lot shorter.

On the highway after Ceduna is the turn-off for Streaky Bay, about a 50kms
detour. There are dirt and sealed roads running along the coast from Streaky
Bay. These will will take you to places with some of the most spectacular
and isolated coastal scenery in the world - Highcliffs, Smooth Pool, the
Granites, Scales Bay etc.

Take along some snorkeling gear and grab some abalone of the rocks at Smooth
Pool (or most of the other places) with a crowbar or knife. Its even
possible to do it by just wading through the shallows. Pig out, if you like
abalone - as long as you don't take more than 6 per day per person (which is
way more abalone than most people can eat), its perfectly legal.

There is good caravan park and pub. You can camp right along the coast, but
there is no fresh water outside Streaky (and not very much in Streaky, for
that matter).

Its a great place.

Old August 26th, 2007, 08:37 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross[_4_]

You just reminded me.

About 40kms south of Streaky Bay at Point Labatt is the only Australian
mainland colony of Australian Sea Lions.

Only trouble is, most of the road down there is unsealed.

I got some great photos from the cliff top.

Ross

u...

Old August 27th, 2007, 03:29 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

"Ross" wrote in message
You just reminded me.

About 40kms south of Streaky Bay at Point Labatt is the only Australian
mainland colony of Australian Sea Lions.

Only trouble is, most of the road down there is unsealed.

I got some great photos from the cliff top.

Ross

You used to be able to walk amongst them. I understand they have fenced it
off now - it was (I suspect) a pretty dangerous activity and not good for
the seals.

There are seals hunting all along the coast around Streaky. For a period of
time, Highcliffs (a deserted rock formation near Streaky) held the world
record for the largest white pointer shark ever caught. These are attracted
by the huge seal population. I always felt somewhat nervous spearfishing
around Highcliffs. In general, if snorkeling, stay in the shallows - I never
saw a great white, but I seldom spearfished in water more than a few metres
deep.

Not that this should put off people snorkeling in the shallows - a more
practical problem is that the water is extremely cold, even in mid summer.

It really is one of the most spectacular and isolated coastlines in the
world - not that I have done the coast of WA, which I would imagine is
pretty similar.

Old September 26th, 2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Phaser

Hate to be a killjoy. Denmark is a very small village hours away from Perth,
personaly I would go to Denmark, overnight there drive back via Margaret
River and then fly across to Melbourne or Adelaide.What you have planned
involves hours and hours of driving, it will be pretty hot by that time
also, don't underestimate the distances, there are hundreds and hundreds of
kilometres of nothing, the novelty of openness wears off real quickly. You
could fly from Perth to Melbourne cheaper than the fuel costs involved in
driving.Fuel and food across the Nulabor plain is super expensive, and there
are very good reasons that hardly anyone lives out there. Carry spare fuel,
make sure you have spare belts and hoses for your car and plenty of water,
and a rudimentry toolkit, make sure your spare tyre is in good condition,
purchase a can or two of that aeorosole foam for punctures, if you break
down you won't be in danger but you could easily lose a day or two, also
running out of fuel (happens to tourists every day) will be a hassle, don't
let it happen to you. If you plan on driving at night be VERY AWARE that
there are plenty of kangaroos, they come out of nowhere and if you hit one
in a car you will do major, major damage, not only to the car but possibly
to yourself, that is why all the trucks have "bullbars" fitted they aren't
for decoration. Some cars like to tailgate trucks at night, thinking that
the truck will protect them, big mistake, because if the truck hits a roo it
spears it straight underneath the truck and exits out the back, right at
YOU. If you are going to camp then get right off the road, out of sight or
sleep at one of the service stations. Driving from Adelaide to Melbourne
either inland or along the coast is OK, once you get to Victoria the towns
become very frequent.