Ontario Hotels

Old January 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lee[_5_]

Default Ontario Hotels

Hi all,

We are doing a fly/drive to Ontraio in September this year. Our flight
will arrive in Toronto on 31st Aug and we will be flying home again on
13th Sep. During our visit we would like to stay a few nights each in
Toronto, Niagra Falls, Ottawa, Montreal and maybe the odd night in
between.

Are there any hotels that you would suggest we stay in or that we
should specifically avoid. This is our honeymoon and whilst we would
like to stay in some top quality hotels, we do have a budget. For
every impressive hotel we stay at there has to be a reasonably priced
one to offset the costs.

Kind Regards,

Lee
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Reston

In Ottawa I'd recommend the Lord Elgin Hotel. Their website is
www.lordelgin.ca

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Lee Meadowcroft:
We are doing a fly/drive to Ontraio in September this year. Our flight
will arrive in Toronto on 31st Aug and we will be flying home again on
13th Sep. ...

For your planning convenience, note that the first Monday in September
(this year, Sep. 1) is a holiday and therefore a busy travel day.

For your searching convenience, note that Niagara has three A's, like
Canada.

Since I live here I have little experience with staying in hotels here,
but for Toronto, if you're interested in a hotel that wasn't built in
the last 25 years, you might consider the Fairmont Royal York. It has
a decent reputation, a good location (it's the city's old railway hotel,
across the street from Union Station), and I do know that the public
areas such as the lobby are attractive.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "These days, it seems even PCs have to be PC."

Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lee[_5_]

For your planning convenience, note that the first Monday in September
(this year, Sep. 1) is a holiday and therefore a busy travel day.

For your searching convenience, note that Niagara has three A's, like
Canada.

Thanks for the advice. Is it only the 1st Sep that's a holiday i.e.
everyone back to work/school on the 2nd? In which case I will arrive
31st, stay in Toronto 1st and 2nd and drive to Niagara Falls on 3rd.

Where abouts do you live? Toronto itself or on the outskirts? We're
actually having our honeymoon there as a bit of a reconnaissance
because we hope to emigrate to Canada in a few years. We're actually
keen on Ottawa and are thinking somewhere between there and Toronto.
We'd like to see some of the smaller towns as well as the big cities
during our visit. I'd appreciate it if you could tell me a bit about
the place.

Many Thanks,

Lee
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Lee wrote:
[...]

Mon. Sep. 1st is the Labour day holiday. You can be sure places like
the airport will be very busy when you arrive as people return from
vacations. By Tuesday students are back in school for another year and
businesses are ramping up after the staff have taken summer holidays.
Your trip to Niagara Falls will be much less hectic than it would have
been the week before.

As to "towns" between Ottawa and Toronto - you should specify the size
you are interested in - Smaller cities such as Peterborough, Belleville,
or Kingston might fit your bill but much smaller places like Trenton or
Napanee might be what you are thinking of.

What type of place do you have in mind? Activities, services,
employment... etc.

--
===========================
Sawyer Nicknames

Seinfeld Trivia, Lists, and Scripts
http://seinfeld.xtreemhost.com/
===========================
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
coach

On Jan 21, 8:17 am, Lee wrote:
Hi all,

We are doing a fly/drive to Ontraio in September this year. Our flight
will arrive in Toronto on 31st Aug and we will be flying home again on
13th Sep. During our visit we would like to stay a few nights each in
Toronto, Niagra Falls, Ottawa, Montreal and maybe the odd night in
between.

Are there any hotels that you would suggest we stay in or that we
should specifically avoid. This is our honeymoon and whilst we would
like to stay in some top quality hotels, we do have a budget. For
every impressive hotel we stay at there has to be a reasonably priced
one to offset the costs.

Kind Regards,

Lee

Check out the fall road trips in and around Toronto to Ottawa area
expecially Algonquin park on this website http://www.400eleven.com/colour-repo...quin-park.html
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lee[_5_]

We like to live close (commuting distance maybe?) to a city but we
enjoy the outdoors. To give an example, we currently live 15 miles (30
minutes drive) outside of Manchester, UK but we are only 5 minutes
drive from the countryside. We take holidays every year in the Lake
District which is very picturesc and on The Isle of Wight which has
beautiful beaches and countryside.

So we're looking for somewhere with a population of tens to hundreds
of thousands and not millions. We're a young family so would like a
nice place to bring up children. We quite like the idea of ottawa with
it being a bilingual city.

I'm a Structural Engineer and my wife-to-be is a student midwife.
We'll both be fully qualified by the time we look to emigrate.
Obvioulsy we need to be in a location where we have no problem getting
employment.

As for our honeymoon later this year. We want to get a good feel for
the place, we've read lots about it but it's never the same as
visiting a place. We would like to visit the major cities and see the
sights but at the same time we would like to get out of the cities and
see how we like the more rural areas. This isn't a house hunting visit
or anything like that, although she would like to think of it that
way. I'm sure between now and actually moving there we will have made
a number of visits but this visit will hopefully narrow down our
search for our ideal family home.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ed Treijs

In article ,
Lee wrote:
For your planning convenience, note that the first Monday in September
(this year, Sep. 1) is a holiday and therefore a busy travel day.

For your searching convenience, note that Niagara has three A's, like
Canada.

Thanks for the advice. Is it only the 1st Sep that's a holiday i.e.
everyone back to work/school on the 2nd? In which case I will arrive
31st, stay in Toronto 1st and 2nd and drive to Niagara Falls on 3rd.

That's sensible. There's plenty to do in Toronto on the Labour Day weekend,
and holiday traffic will be bad.

Saturday mornings you may be interested in visiting St. Lawrence Market to see
the fresh fruits and vegetables available from local sources. Peaches, plums,
grapes, carrots, beets, blueberries, etc. However, on Sunday it's an antiques
market.

I recommend that you visit the Canadian National Exhibition. The Air Show is
on during Labour Day weekend and if you have an interest in this sort of thing,
it's basically included with your CNE admission.

Make sure you visit the CN tower in the afternoon, so you see the view by day
and then by night.

Where abouts do you live? Toronto itself or on the outskirts? We're
actually having our honeymoon there as a bit of a reconnaissance
because we hope to emigrate to Canada in a few years. We're actually
keen on Ottawa and are thinking somewhere between there and Toronto.
We'd like to see some of the smaller towns as well as the big cities
during our visit. I'd appreciate it if you could tell me a bit about
the place.

Peterborough and Kingston are the biggest cities between Toronto and Ottawa.
Peterborough has a lot of manufacturing and a university, while Kingston is
more of a government plus university town. Smaller cities include Belleville
and Trenton. There are plenty of smaller towns that were settled back in the
1800s which time has mostly forgot, but I'm not sure that you would want to
settle in the more isolated ones. Belleville and Trenton are somewhat
bilingual, Kingston less so, and Peterborough almost not at all as far as I
have noticed.

A lot of the countryside between Toronto and Ottawa is on the rocky, swampy
Canadian Shield. Some of it is rolling glacial topography of moraines and
drumlins. Plus there's the Lake Ontario shoreline which has a lot of small
towns and cities strung along it. Almost all date from pioneer days, some back
to the United Empire Loyalists in the late 1700s.

Note that the strip between Toronto and Ottawa is 400 km long and 50-60 km
so that's a lot of territory. Your reconnaissance will be pretty preliminary.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 05:17:08 -0800 (PST), Lee
wrote:

Hi all,

We are doing a fly/drive to Ontraio in September this year. Our flight
will arrive in Toronto on 31st Aug and we will be flying home again on
13th Sep. During our visit we would like to stay a few nights each in
Toronto, Niagra Falls, Ottawa, Montreal and maybe the odd night in
between.

Are there any hotels that you would suggest we stay in or that we
should specifically avoid. This is our honeymoon and whilst we would
like to stay in some top quality hotels, we do have a budget. For
every impressive hotel we stay at there has to be a reasonably priced
one to offset the costs.

Kind Regards,

Lee

You might enjoy Niagara-on-the-Lake. It's an old town with a number of
interesting places. There's a Shaw Festival Theater but I don't know
how late in the season they go.

This is the place we stayed. It was in a good location. We aren't big
on B&B's and this isn't one but it is a small hotel with sort of that
feel that is supposedly haunted although we didn't see a ghost.

http://www.angel-inn.com/

Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Brian wrote:

tYou might enjoy Niagara-on-the-Lake. It's an old town with a number of
interesting places. There's a Shaw Festival Theater but I don't know
how late in the season they go.

The theatre seasons runs up to early November.