Traveling Overseas Without Shots?

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Former
Member writes
And I thank you. So I've decided to go ahead and take the Malaria
pills. But with all the discussion on the various drugs, I couldn't
figure out which ones were best to take.

I'm leaving on the 27th of Dec. Don't I need to take these weeks in
advance?

BTW, I visited sub-sahara Africa (the republic of South Africa to be
exact) back in 1997 for 2 weeks. I didn't take any medications
(natural or otherwise) and I was fine. I was told that I would have to
take malaria pills if I was planning on doing a safari. But I wasn't
so I didn't (take any pills).

So to repeat my questions, what medication should I take (I'll also
check with my doctor) and how soon in advance should I take them?

Thanks again guys.

Marc Lurie wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:29:06 +0100, "Jean-Marc V. Liotier"
wrote:

Now on the subject of "natural" medicine : please don't fall for that
bull****.

Jean-Marc, you deserve a round of applause. I posted a long, probably
boring tirade about "natural" and homeopathic medicine, but could not
have put it as succinctly or as emphatically as you did in one line.

Regards,
Marc

You have seen all the posts on the subject, you should see a doctor and
get the recommended prophylactic for East Africa. This will probably be
either Lariam ( Mefloquine) or Malarone. You need to start a week
before you travel and whilst there should use an insect repellent, cover
arms and legs at night and use a mosquito net at night. The important
thing is, see a doctor for expert advice!
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:13:29 -0700, Dave Patterson
wrote:

You do not need a yellow fever immunization anymore,
even traveling between the 2 countries.

Dave,

ah, that's news to me. Interesting, but makes sense.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old November 29th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:54:34 +0200, Marc Lurie
wrote:

I have spoken with countless numbers of people who prefer to resort to
the cure (usually fansidar or quinine) only when the get the disease.
I guess that's a valid way to live IF, AND ONLY IF, you are aware of
the malaria danger, you know and recognise the symptoms, and you do
something IMMEDIATELY you think you have malaria.

Marc,

here's one of them. I don't take any prophylactics because I
spend too much time in Kenya. But I always use a mosquito net at
night in any area with any malaria risk, I use insect repellant,
and I always carry a pack of Malarone with me wherever I move.

Moreover, I always recommend to anybody who spends only a
vacation in a malarial area to take a prophylactic drug.

By the way, the stuff is expensive, but it has a long shelf
life, so you can use it for several years or hand it over to
other travellers or to people in Kenya when you no longer need
it. (Be sure you only give it to people who can follow precisely
the written instructions for the cure dose application.)

I have spent years in east Africa and never got malaria. I took
a Lariam cure dose once, but soon found out that the slight
fever had had a different cause. (But I now know better than I
ever wanted what a psychotic drug can do to you. The right
description is "horror trip". Still better than malaria though,
I guess.)

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.