"One bag" travel, which bag is best?

Old August 4th, 2006, 08:14 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Alohacyberian

Default "One bag" travel, which bag is best?

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
ps.com...
Dave Frightens Me wrote:
I sometimes have to carry my luggage fairly long distances. For example,
last year I had to carry two bags (one large checked backpack, worn in
the back, one small carry-on backpack, worn in the front) from Istanbul
airport to the center of town because my ATM card had expired just
before the flight (who ever checks the expiration date on their ATM
card?), I didn't have any other form of money on me, and the only bank
that was prepared to sort me out was in the middle of town. Leaving
aside the stupidity of the situation I'd gotten myself into, it was
really no problem to do this - I just found some high ground, located
the coastline, followed it, and a few hours later I was in Sultanahmet.

Oh ****, that's a long way!

Are you seriously telling us you only had one card? I have 3, plus a
bit of cash at any time.

?????

What bank is issuing ATM cards that expire? My ATM never does. And no
need to carry more than one. I also carry a few Credit Cards that you
can always use to withdraw cash.

Some banks now put expiration dates on their ATM cards because they get too
battered up over time. And it's best to use an ATM card instead of a credit
card to get cash (unless of course you can't use the ATM) because credit
cards charge a fee for cash and nowadays some of them charge interest from
the day you get the cash instead of giving you a grace period. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or

Old August 4th, 2006, 09:00 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Miguel Cruz

My girlfriend travels with a large wheeled bag and it slows us down
tremendously (hope she's not reading this). It is faster for me to pick
her bag up and carry it in my arms while also wearing my large backpack,
than for her (or me) to drag it by the wheels.

this may be due to your extremely manful physical manly prowess.
I note female hotel staff, helping with bags tend to use the
wheels, while I follow your example of trying to pull my arms
off.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:00 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Dave Patterson

Remember that you cannot do that in the UK anymore. Police will shoot to
kill tourists with backpacks before they get a chance to ask any
questions (and this policy is approved/condoned by the Bliar government).

Speaking only for rec.travel.africa, I say let's
don't start yet another endless round of useless
and witless postings like this.

I agree, the people who make them would often be the last to be
able to deal with the real situations they like to mock.
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:00 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Larry in Berkeley

Many airlines are now enforcing the old rule that a carryon may not
weigh more than seven kilos.

(UK) New Department for Transport guidelines on cabin baggage
come into effect this month. Passengers are now only allowed to
take hand baggage on board that is a maximum length of 56cm
(22in), width of 45cm (18in) and depth of 25cm (10in).
We recommend that you check your baggage dimensions before
starting your journey to save delays.
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
Manfred Aigner

Miguel Cruz wrote:
[..] They suck on stairs, they suck in countries [..]. They suck.

You're right in most points, but a small trolley is perfect for business
travelling, when you do 3-4 day trips, where you only move within
airports, hotels, train stations an central urban areas.... then they
are a perfect thing and since I borrowed a trolley for such a trip some
years ago I don't want to miss it.

For private trips I prefer a small backpack, about 15-20l, which is
enough for most trips. The rule is: The less you bring with you, the
better. Most things you need in a foreign country, which you're not
using at home are much cheaper in your destination country, therefore
there is no need to buy them at home and bring them. Usually there is no
need to bring them back home (what should I do with a moskito net in
Austria?). What I experienced in the last years: The longer I go, the
less luggage I do have (Typically I do have more clothing for a weekend
trip with a lot of activities planned than for a 4 weeks tour where I
need to wash my stuff anyway).

Manfred

Old August 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

RPSinha wrote:
[Reposted with enlarged group list. Please leave rec.travel.air intact,
I can only access replies there.]

I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on. This will be for a few weeks, a few
countries, everything from planes and trains to back country buses.
So this bag needs to be pretty versatile: strong, light, easy to
organize etc, and resistant to dust and water. I found two intriguing
suggestions in http://www.onebag.com/bags.html : the Red Oxx Air Boss
and Tough traveler Tri-Zip. Both are about $225.
Om Kenn Rosenkranz (foertidspensionist)
http://www.webspawner.com/users/nudunu/index.html

Another suggestion was Rick Steves Convertable carry-on bag; $99.
http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...ction=product&
theParentId=8&id=139

Do you have any expereince with these? Or, do you have another
recommendation?

Finally, do you find any particular *colors* either very good or not so
good for rugged travel? (My "one bag" is likely to take more beating
than if it had been just one of several bags with me.) The Red Oxx
comes in 12 colors, for example:
http://www.redoxx.com/catalog/carry-on/p_91018-air-boss.html

Thanks.

Be sure to chose a very robust bag

Old August 4th, 2006, 02:28 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
B Vaughan

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:23:29 +0800, Miguel Cruz
wrote:

I cannot imagine a scenario in which a wheeled bag is more attractive,
unless it is so heavy that you simply cannot lift it - such as an
equipment container on 4 casters.

Inside train stations and airports, wheels are much more attractive
than backpacks. Once I get to a place, I rarely use my luggage until I
leave again, so that a good part of the time that I'm using my
luggage, I'm in a train station or an airport.

On most city streets, wheeled luggage works just fine, and if the
streets are crowded, your backpack is likely to be bumping into people
all the time.

If you have to (or want to) sit down, a backpack is a real pain in
the ass.

Your stuff tends to get less messed up in a suitcase.

I can't see that getting in and out of vehicles is easier with a
backpack. Unless the backpack is very small, you're going to have to
take it off, unless you remain standing inside the vehicle. If not,
you'll have all the inconvenience of a suitcase added to the
inconvenience of taking the backpack off and putting it back on.

I use either a backpack or a wheeled suitcase, depending on the
circumstances. The backpack will definitely be better if you're doing
off-road hiking. The wheeled luggage tends to be better in urban
locations with good sidewalks.

The main thing is to keep it small. Both forms of luggage are very
inconvenient if they're large.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
B Vaughan

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:21:22 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

I've carried backpacks round Istanbul many times. Miguel's picture is
dead on. Broken surfaces, tramlines, jam-packed public transport,
gangways onto ferries - you'd be nuts to use anything with wheels there.
It's no coincidence that there are still porters in Istanbul who can
make a living carrying goods on their backs.

I don't understand the public transport thing. The human body is less
bulky around the legs than around the chest. In a packed tram, you can
always find a bit of unused real estate on the floor, while a backpack
on your back will be punching people in the face.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
RPSinha

B Vaughan wrote:

: ...

I don't like backpacks for the reasons you mention, but I also don't
like wheels for the reasons others mentioned. What will work for me
most is a shoulder bag, with a small daypack that I can carry around
within a city.

I am open to the idea of my shoulder bag having extra straps so it
could function as a backpack when that would be convenient. However, I
have never had such a bag and do wonder if this will limit my choices
to models that might not be very good in either role, as a shoulder
bag or backpack.
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected][_1_]

Miguel Cruz wrote:
"rascal" wrote:
Despite what the "travel experts" may say, carry your bag for a
couple of miles or so getting out of the airport and wheels become
more attractive.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which a wheeled bag is more attractive,
unless it is so heavy that you simply cannot lift it - such as an
equipment container on 4 casters.

Miguel and I have been around this bend before. I understand
his point of view, and one must understand how tall he is such that
the handles on roll aboards tend to be a bit short for him to be able
to use them effectively.

However, when I'm traveling in a sport coat or other such kinds
of dress, I'd really rather not have a backpack. Truth is I don't
much like schlepping luggage at all but understand the necessity
on occasion.

[snip]
The whole principle
sucks. They suck on stairs, they suck in countries where everything
isn't wheelchair-accessible, they suck on bumpy sidewalks, they suck in
ice and snow, they suck if you have to run or jog, they suck when you
are getting in and out of vehicles, they suck on escalators where you
are the jerk who blocks the way so nobody can walk past. They suck.

I think you over state this portion a bit. You just pick them up
on
stairs, especially escalators. You're right about bumpy surfaces and
sidewalks and I often advise people to not get ones with really small
casters. The larger wheel you can tolerate the better. And you're
right about running and jogging but if you're running and jogging on
vacation or travel, you've already done something wrong.

And you don't mention the jerk that walks around with their
backpack slugging everyone around them. I also hate the moron
that walks down the aircraft aisle with it slung over his shoulder
smacking everyone on the way down.

Carrying a bag by a handle, so that it swings against your leg with each
step, and the weight of it compresses your spine, also sucks. Really
nothing beats a good - and properly-adjusted - backpack, especially for
business travel when you frequently have to deal with tight schedules.

Business travel is about the only time I use a small one.
Otherwise I check
the darn thing and be done with it. That's the time I've got the
larger one
with the really big wheels to deal with irregular surfaces.