Headed to India, Questions

Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
ZAC

Default Headed to India, Questions

My girlfriend and I have decided to make our five year anniversary presents
to ourselves a trip to India and Nepal. She is the more adventurous
traveler, but I am anxious and excited about experiencing a completely new
culture. We've divided up our pre-trip responsibilities, and while she is
doing most of the work planning where we'll stay and what we'll see, I'm in
charge of getting our visas and packing us. I feel like I have a pretty
good hold on what I am supposed to do, but just wondering if anyone had any
other tips for traveling in India.
ZAC
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:31 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
harmony

"ZAC" wrote in message
My girlfriend and I have decided to make our five year anniversary
presents
to ourselves a trip to India and Nepal. She is the more adventurous
traveler, but I am anxious and excited about experiencing a completely new
culture. We've divided up our pre-trip responsibilities, and while she is
doing most of the work planning where we'll stay and what we'll see, I'm
in
charge of getting our visas and packing us. I feel like I have a pretty
good hold on what I am supposed to do, but just wondering if anyone had
any
other tips for traveling in India.
ZAC

- don't ask any one "where can i get a hamburger for lunch" - even when you
enter mcdonald's.
- be in the crowd, but be careful.
- carry a chilly spray that can shoot to at least 10ft. if you must stray
away from the posh crowd.
- the further north you go the more corrupt it gets.
- beware of pickpockets, they are evrywhere in cities.
- change your dollars only at bank to get a good rate. best is open citi
account in india and transfer dollars while still here.
- have fun.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:47 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
Alfred Molon

In article , ZAC says...
My girlfriend and I have decided to make our five year anniversary presents
to ourselves a trip to India and Nepal. She is the more adventurous
traveler, but I am anxious and excited about experiencing a completely new
culture. We've divided up our pre-trip responsibilities, and while she is
doing most of the work planning where we'll stay and what we'll see, I'm in
charge of getting our visas and packing us. I feel like I have a pretty
good hold on what I am supposed to do, but just wondering if anyone had any
other tips for traveling in India.

A good idea would be to rent a car+driver to travel around. You'll be
independent of the local transportation system and the driver will act
as an intermediary between you and the locals. See the travelogue of our
trip to India:

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/India/2004/
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
Ajanta

ZAC wrote:

My girlfriend and I have decided to make our five year anniversary presents
to ourselves a trip to India and Nepal. She is the more adventurous
traveler, but I am anxious and excited about experiencing a completely
new culture. We've divided up our pre-trip responsibilities, and while she is
doing most of the work planning where we'll stay and what we'll see, I'm in
charge of getting our visas and packing us. I feel like I have a pretty
good hold on what I am supposed to do, but just wondering if anyone had
any other tips for traveling in India.

I wish we knew a little more about what your girlfriend is planning,
where you are going to go, for how long, and how will you travel...
Assuming you are American, you can well imagine that visiting NYC v
hiking in New Mexico, flying and v driving around, staying in Hiltons v
camping, all need slightly different advice.

Otherwise, the general advice is to be "careful", identify yourself as
Canadian rather than American in casual situations, :-) avoid Muslim
areas, etc.

Good luck.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
Bagchi

Some easy tips: budget money for bottled water, bring light-weight long
pants to wear instead of shorts, don't eat at a restaurant if no one
else is in there. I have done two trips there and still there is more I
want to see. The long pants is a courtesy to their culture. It depends
on where you are in the country, but it's a good idea to have a
breathable pair on hand. I don't know how much you're planning on going
between cities, but if its longer than a six hour drive, I would
recommend flying. Trust me, its worth it! Finally, I am sure you have
thought of this but I would get some sort of calling card to phone back
to the states. I use onesuite when I travel , www.onesuite.com, since it
is easy to travel with- I didn't have to worry about physically keeping
up with a calling card. There are plenty other services out there but I
would suggest using something, you would be surprised how much your
money will run dry without some sort of phone network.
Safe travels to you and your gal.
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:34 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
John Keiser

Get a multiple entry visa. Several years ago a British couple joining a bus
tour starting in Nepal made the mistake of buying a less-expensive [at that
time, anyway] single entry visa, not thinking that the day they spent in
Delhi before flying to Nepal was that single entry. Many hours and more
than a few dollars spent at the border regaringing entry. No need for you
to be restricted in your wanderings.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old January 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_3_]

Others have offered many good tips in this thread (be sure
to read it in soc.culture.indian because not all posts have
appeared in the newsgroups where the original post was
posted. Distribution restored in this follow-up).

Take sturdy baggage, not the kind made with thin material.

Take extra money along to donate to the hungry and
homeless, as there will be numerous opportunities to do so
-- just as in the US but more in the open.

ZAC, if you need a crash course in Hindi from a native
speaker, or if you just want to converse with someone who
is from there, send an e-mail message to me and I'll give
you the number to reach me.

Oh, and be sure to consult a Jyotishi (astrologer),
especially if you are in Varanasi or Jaipur. You are likely
to come back with your future all mapped out, showing when
and where the best opportunities will knock on your door
and where the pitfalls lurk.

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/27wukl
http://www.mantra.com/jai
http://www.mantra.com/jyotish
Om Shanti

In article .com,
"Mirza Ghalib" posted:

Drink ONLY bottled water. I recommend Aquafina, because its cap
is destroyed once you open the bottle. That way you are sure you
are not getting a "refilled" bottle with who knows what.

Eat only hot food, avoid salads (unless there is a guarantee of it
being
free from contamination, such as in high class hotels.) Ice
cream-ditto.

Take ALL inoculations against water-borne diseases, plus a shot of
immunoglobulin, if possible. Chances are you will be hit with cold
and cough anyways. Take with you some relief medication for that.

Do not get too friendly with strangers.

But generally India is a safe place. I visited Ajanta and Ellora two
years
ago via Aurangabad, arranging everything thru the Internet. Worked
just perfectly.

Old January 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
Paulrta[_1_]

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:21:48 GMT, 3NaSc or
www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:

Take extra money along to donate to the hungry and
homeless, as there will be numerous opportunities to do so
-- just as in the US but more in the open.

I think most travellers to India would advise that you absolutely do
NOT give money directly to beggars (except in exceptional
circumstances).

Most of the beggars you will encounter in tourist areas are
professional beggars, and if you give cash to one, you will be
immediately surrounded by hundreds of other beggars who will harrass
you for the rest of your day without mercy.

The continual hassle from beggars is probably the number one complaint
from travellers to India.

Old January 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
harmony

"Paulrta" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:21:48 GMT, 3NaSc or
www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:

Take extra money along to donate to the hungry and
homeless, as there will be numerous opportunities to do so
-- just as in the US but more in the open.

I think most travellers to India would advise that you absolutely do
NOT give money directly to beggars (except in exceptional
circumstances).

Most of the beggars you will encounter in tourist areas are
professional beggars, and if you give cash to one, you will be
immediately surrounded by hundreds of other beggars who will harrass
you for the rest of your day without mercy.

The continual hassle from beggars is probably the number one complaint
from travellers to India.

it is better to give to beggars in india directly than to put your money in
the hands of missionaries who turn beggars into fanatic criminals.

Old January 25th, 2007, 03:09 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.budget.backpack
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_4_]

In article ,
"harmony" posted:

"Paulrta" wrote in message

[...]

Besides, the Bharat-born give money to beggars
in the US, why shouldn't the US-born give money
to beggars in Bharat? How much of your money
went to feed the hungry at Halliburton and Enron
just in one year?

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/27wukl
http://www.mantra.com/jai