[OT] A massacre in Los Angeles

Old January 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default [OT] A massacre in Los Angeles

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 09:46:26 +0100, Martin
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:27:33 -0800, Don Kirkman wrote:

. . . and the same principle I follow. In this case, however, I was
making a correction to a previous correction indicating it happened in
*West Covina*, not in LA. :-)

and has absolutely nothing to do with Europe?

There's that.

But Markku considers such shootouts in America to be indications
of the superiority of Europeans, despite the fact that on a
population basis Finland may be almost as bad. He's very fond of
posting every little "massacre" that occurs in the USA.

Old January 1st, 2009, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
om...

wrote:

. . . and the same principle I follow. In this case, however, I was
making a correction to a previous correction indicating it happened in
*West Covina*, not in LA. :-)

and has absolutely nothing to do with Europe?

There's that.

But Markku considers such shootouts in America to be indications
of the superiority of Europeans, despite the fact that on a
population basis Finland may be almost as bad. He's very fond of
posting every little "massacre" that occurs in the USA.

It has nothing to do with "Europeans". Free access to fire arms is just
unfortunate. It has consequences - like massacres. Moreover, ordinary people
need pistols for nothing. If they want to show their steady hand, they can
toss darts.

Old January 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:28:04 +0200, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
viestissä:qp3ql4hpet0hsc4p6q1k8ej590hff8drp0@4ax. com...

wrote:

. . . and the same principle I follow. In this case, however, I was
making a correction to a previous correction indicating it happened in
*West Covina*, not in LA. :-)

and has absolutely nothing to do with Europe?

There's that.

But Markku considers such shootouts in America to be indications
of the superiority of Europeans, despite the fact that on a
population basis Finland may be almost as bad. He's very fond of
posting every little "massacre" that occurs in the USA.

It has nothing to do with "Europeans". Free access to fire arms is just
unfortunate. It has consequences - like massacres. Moreover, ordinary people
need pistols for nothing. If they want to show their steady hand, they can
toss darts.

I don't see you posting about the sometime "massacres" in Mexico.

Old January 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
om...

wrote:

. . . and the same principle I follow. In this case, however, I was
making a correction to a previous correction indicating it happened in
*West Covina*, not in LA. :-)

and has absolutely nothing to do with Europe?

There's that.

But Markku considers such shootouts in America to be indications
of the superiority of Europeans, despite the fact that on a
population basis Finland may be almost as bad. He's very fond of
posting every little "massacre" that occurs in the USA.

It has nothing to do with "Europeans". Free access to fire arms is just
unfortunate. It has consequences - like massacres. Moreover, ordinary
people
need pistols for nothing. If they want to show their steady hand, they can
toss darts.

I don't see you posting about the sometime "massacres" in Mexico.

I send them to rec.travel.mexico, heh heh. Violence has always been rampant
in Mexico. I have been robbed once in my lifetime - yes, by two policemen
close to the Benito Juarez airport back in 1980's. Nowadays drug/warlords in
northern regions of the country have organized true orgies of bloodshed. It
is different. It is business.

Old January 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Don Kirkman wrote:
It seems to me I heard somewhere that Hatunen wrote in article
:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:49:03 -0800, Don Kirkman
wrote:

It seems to me I heard somewhere that EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
wrote in article :

Jim Davis wrote:
"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

Perhaps you bedouins develop this thread somewhere else. rte hardly is a
forum to do so. Crossposting is nasty anyways.
The usa-canada travel group is just as "off topic", which is your original
post.

I'm sure no one here cares, but just FYI, "West Covina" (where the mini
"massacre" took place) is NOT "Los Angeles"! A near-by community and
part of the greater urban sprawl, yes - but not part of L.A. proper.

Perhaps the people of Covina do; the LA Times' coverage says crime was
in Covina, and the Thomas Guide says the street the Times names in
their stories is in Covina. Covina is just a skosh farther from LA
proper than West Covina, is of course east of West Covina. :-)

On the other hand, it's in the LA metro area and it's not
uncommon in colloquial speech to refer to places within a metro
area by the name of the central city, especially when one is
mentioning it to people well outside the area who wouldn't know
where West Covina is. And, of course, it's in Los Angeles county.

Absolutely true . . .

When I lived in Daly City but was traveling several hundred miles
or more from there I would usually say I lived in San Francisco.
But if I was talking to someone in, say, San Jose, I would say I
lived in Daly City.

. . . and the same principle I follow. In this case, however, I was
making a correction to a previous correction indicating it happened in
*West Covina*, not in LA. :-)

Well, since I had to rely upon my local newscasters in Phoenix, Arizona,
I repeated what THEY said, which was "West Covina". Since they
frequently give the wrong street names when reporting local news (with
the camera focused on the actual street sign where the story is
developing) You may well be correct - I only know what they said, here.
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:27:33 -0800, Don Kirkman wrote:

. . . and the same principle I follow. In this case, however, I was
making a correction to a previous correction indicating it happened in
*West Covina*, not in LA. :-)

and has absolutely nothing to do with Europe?

There's that.

But Markku considers such shootouts in America to be indications
of the superiority of Europeans, despite the fact that on a
population basis Finland may be almost as bad. He's very fond of
posting every little "massacre" that occurs in the USA.

And it was HE who raised the topic. (And the rest of us should by now
know better that to respond to his trolling, shouldn't we?)
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 22:10:00 +0200, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
viestissä:k68ql41t2vmi49i4eunoofffrf6b4q522t@4ax. com...

wrote:

[...]

I follow mexico groups. I don't believe there is such a group.

Old January 1st, 2009, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_108_]

Markku Grönroos queerly blabbles:

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
om...

wrote:

[...]

In that case we'll *gladly* pay you to holiday there...!!!

:-P

--
Best
Greg

Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe
Don Kirkman[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

No offense intended, Evelyn, and I understood your motivation. As a
40+ year resident of the LA area I've become used to those out-of-town
sources which get it wrong (and that includes some who move here and
never bother to learn how locals pronounce place names or where all
the suburbs are before they go on the air). You'd think they'd check
with their editor when they come across a strange name, huh? Unless
he's also from somewhere else, of course. :-) It's one of those
little things that invariably end in either in mild amusement or mild
irritation. I vote for amusement. :-)

And it sure doesn't happen only in LA or stay in Las Vegas. :-)

You and I are both evidence that not everybody really wants the whole
region to be known only as "Los Angeles."
--
Don Kirkman