FCO travel advice

Old August 10th, 2011, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default FCO travel advice

We're off to Gibraltar (well, Cadiz really!) then Morocco (Fez) at the
end of the month. I just read this on the FCO website for Morocco:

"just read the FCO travel advice for Morocco, where we're going in a few
weeks- "There have been demonstrations in a number of major cities
across the country and incidences of looting and vandalism in Tangier,
Marrakech and other locations."

Uh-oh, better stay at home in central Manchester then!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
gtr

On 2011-08-10 04:34:13 -0700, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (* said:

I haven't been out yet, but partner also reported a number of smashed
windows on Deansgate this morning. A music store (Dawsons) was looted of
their portable instruments... saw that on the news last night.

Which instruments are the un-portable ones?
--
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.

Old August 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 2011-08-10 04:34:13 -0700, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (* said:

I haven't been out yet, but partner also reported a number of smashed
windows on Deansgate this morning. A music store (Dawsons) was looted of
their portable instruments... saw that on the news last night.

Which instruments are the un-portable ones?

Acoustic pianos! I suppose they could be rolled on wheels in some
cases...

Old August 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 2011-08-10 04:34:13 -0700, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (* said:

I haven't been out yet, but partner also reported a number of smashed
windows on Deansgate this morning. A music store (Dawsons) was looted of
their portable instruments... saw that on the news last night.

Which instruments are the un-portable ones?

Ever carried a piano or electric organ?

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

On 2011-08-10 04:34:13 -0700, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (* said:

I haven't been out yet, but partner also reported a number of smashed
windows on Deansgate this morning. A music store (Dawsons) was looted of
their portable instruments... saw that on the news last night.

Which instruments are the un-portable ones?

I presume that would be pianos or organs.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:58:47 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote in
:

"just read the FCO travel advice for Morocco, where we're going in a
few weeks- "There have been demonstrations in a number of major
cities across the country and incidences of looting and vandalism in
Tangier, Marrakech and other locations."

They just want to make you feel at home.

I haven't been out yet, but partner also reported a number of smashed
windows on Deansgate this morning. A music store (Dawsons) was looted
of their portable instruments... saw that on the news last night.

Wonder what kind of music the looters are going to play.

Rap?

Technology is to blame for all the recent troubles. A man in North
London used predictive text on his mobile to see if anyone fancied a
pint!

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

On 2011-08-10 04:34:13 -0700, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (* said:

I haven't been out yet, but partner also reported a number of smashed
windows on Deansgate this morning. A music store (Dawsons) was looted
of their portable instruments... saw that on the news last night.

Which instruments are the un-portable ones?

Grand piano?

Harpsichord, organ, BIG bass drum...

For various values of "portable", harp, xylophone. marimba...

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On 2011-08-10 04:34:13 -0700, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (* said:

I haven't been out yet, but partner also reported a number of smashed
windows on Deansgate this morning. A music store (Dawsons) was looted
of their portable instruments... saw that on the news last night.

Which instruments are the un-portable ones?

Grand piano?

Harpsichord, organ, BIG bass drum...

Euphonium?

The Floral Dance
Melody and lyrics by Katie Moss, 1911

As I walked home on a Summer night
When stars in Heav'n were shining bright
Far away from the footlight's glare
Into the sweet and scented air
Of a quaint old Cornish town
Borne from afar on the gentle breeze
Joining the murmur of the summer seas
Distant tones of an old world dance
Played by the village band perchance
On the calm air came floating down
I thought I could hear the curious tone
Of the cornet, clarinet and big trombone
Fiddle, 'cello, big bass drum
Bassoon, flute and euphonium
Far away, as in a trance
I heard the sound of the Floral Dance
And soon I heard such a bustling and prancing
And then I saw the whole village was dancing
In and out of the houses they came
Old folk, young folk, all the same
In that quaint old Cornish town
Every boy took a girl 'round the waist
And hurried her off in tremendous haste
Whether they knew one another I care not
Whether they cared at all, I know not
But they kissed as they danced along.
And there was the band with that curious tone
Of the cornet, clarinet and big trombone
Fiddle, 'cello, big bass drum
Bassoon, flute and euphonium
Each one making the most of his chance
All together in the Floral Dance
I felt so lonely standing there
And I could only stand and stare
For I had no boy with me
Lonely I should have to be
In that quaint old Cornish town.
When suddenly hast'ning down the lane
A figure I knew I saw quite plain
With outstretched hands he came along
And carried me into that merry throng
And fiddle and all went dancing down.
We danced to the band with the curious tone
Of the cornet, clarinet and big trombone
Fiddle, 'cello, big bass drum
Bassoon, flute and euphonium
Each one making the most of his chance
Altogether in the Floral Dance.