Muenster

Old August 10th, 2011, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Default Muenster

I have been having a small argument and I wonder if someone can tell me
how the city of Muenster is pronounced and normally written? Does the
"ue" indicate an umlauted "u" and would "Münster" be most usual. The
cheese seems to be usually spelled "Muenster" in the US.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

10.8.2011 20:07, James Silverton kirjoitti:
I have been having a small argument and I wonder if someone can tell me
how the city of Muenster is pronounced and normally written? Does the
"ue" indicate an umlauted "u" and would "Münster" be most usual. The

Name of the German city is spelt as "Münster".

cheese seems to be usually spelled "Muenster" in the US.

An online encyclopedia knows to tell that Munster cheese is actually
French and the name probably is derived from a small town of Munster in
France

Old August 10th, 2011, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

James Silverton wrote:

I have been having a small argument and I wonder if someone can tell me
how the city of Muenster is pronounced and normally written? Does the
"ue" indicate an umlauted "u" and would "Münster" be most usual.

Yup.

The only case where I consistently use the non umlaut spelling (and feel
it is correct) is with the composer Arnold Schoenberg. He adopted the
spelling when he left Austria for the US and preferred it.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

On Aug 10, 7:07*pm, James Silverton
wrote:
I have been having a small argument and I wonder if someone can tell me
how the city of Muenster is pronounced and normally written? Does the
"ue" indicate an umlauted "u" and would "Münster" be most usual. The
cheese seems to be usually spelled "Muenster" in the US.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Münster. Of course, if you cannot do an umlauted u (ü), the spelling
would then be Muenster, as it is using the Internet as non-German
websites won't recognize the umlauted u. Of course, some people just
ignore the umlaut and would use incorrectly a u. I'm not certain
everyone's computer will handle the umlauts, that why I spelled
Münster with a ue in that other post.

As as others have said, the cheese originates in France.
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

James Silverton wrote:
I have been having a small argument and I wonder if someone can tell me
how the city of Muenster is pronounced and normally written? Does the
"ue" indicate an umlauted "u" and would "Münster" be most usual. The
cheese seems to be usually spelled "Muenster" in the US.

Americans can't handle umlauts 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

10.8.2011 20:37, Markku Grönroos kirjoitti:
10.8.2011 20:07, James Silverton kirjoitti:
I have been having a small argument and I wonder if someone can tell me
how the city of Muenster is pronounced and normally written? Does the
"ue" indicate an umlauted "u" and would "Münster" be most usual. The

Name of the German city is spelt as "Münster".

cheese seems to be usually spelled "Muenster" in the US.

An online encyclopedia knows to tell that Munster cheese is actually
French and the name probably is derived from a small town of Munster in
France

I was simply wrong: the French variety (Munster Cheese) is explained at
address http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_%28cheese%29

where as the American Muenster Cheese at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muenster_cheese

in the latter case the origin of the name is really derived from the
German city of Münster.

Old August 10th, 2011, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

James wrote:
I have been having a small argument and I wonder if someone can tell me
how the city of Muenster is pronounced and normally written? Does the
"ue" indicate an umlauted "u" and would "Münster" be most usual. The
cheese seems to be usually spelled "Muenster" in the US.

Americans can't handle umlauts 8-)

Or tildes.

Without apologizing for the absence of decorations on letters when I am
writing English unless the discussion requires it, I think the Swiss
seem to use "e" to indicate an umlaut quite often. Certainly, in the
days when we rented apartments in resorts in Switzerland, this was the
case but that might also have been because American IBM typewriters were
used.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Old August 10th, 2011, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 8/10/2011 6:12 PM, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
James wrote
in :

I think the
Swiss seem to use "e" to indicate an umlaut quite often. Certainly, in
the days when we rented apartments in resorts in Switzerland, this was
the case

The Swiss keyboard layout is different from German and Austrian
layouts. It has the umlauts but it lacks the ß character in order to
accomodate the French accented characters. For this reason Swiss German
dropped the ß for good long ago and replaces it with double s. But they
do use umlauts just as we do.

but that might also have been because American IBM
typewriters were used.

Surely IBM used to make localised typewriters.

No, they did not when the Swiss first bought them. They were way ahead
of Germany in adopting IBM ball typewriters.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*